1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New sub forum suggestion: The Art of Photography

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by barry13, Oct 11, 2018.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet,
    What would you think of a new sub forum about The Art of Photography, more focussed towards discussions of aesthetics, composition, light, etc?

• Like Like x 18
    • Agree Agree x 8
  2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Are you referring to the book of the same title, or as a general topic?

3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Very subjective
    Might work but how would distinguish it from say the abstract topics, Contextual Bokeh, wabi sabi to name a few.
    Or were you thinking of grouping/moving existing topics to a subsection ?

4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    It seems to me to be a good idea a place to discuss photography exhibitions, books by artists and so on along with peoples long term projects that they may want some feedback on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    That would be a good idea; as a newbie to the forum I find there are so many different topics, I'm forever being surprised when they pop up in the right hand column. Art all under one roof would be good.

I'm much more interested in the art side of photography, although I don't posses arty skills. The first pic of @PeHa@PeHa's bearded reedling, for example, was very much art - for me anyway.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    Great idea. This is an aspect sadly lacking from all photo forums.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio
    M Ferencz
    We all talk about swords, not how we swing them. Reason is, everybody thinks they got the subjective part all figured out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LilSebastian

LilSebastian Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Pasadena, CA
    I like the idea very much. My output isn’t for lack of quality tools, but often for lack of the eye for the moment. I’d love to exchange ideas on the art of photography. Question is, how do you define and moderate to this broad concept?

9. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I’d love the idea, but it would have to be about helping each other to get better at photography, so one would have to leave one’s ego at the door. Maybe that is why there is no such sub forum. Also, participants should have a link to their work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    That is so sad to read. Don’t we all look at what talented photographers produce and compare our snaps to theirs?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

How is that different than the photo sharing section? Can't we discuss the "art" of a particular photo that we shared? What would a new section add to that discussion?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    How often do the photo sharing threads do that, compared to simply dropping pictures with little accompanying text? I know I usually do the latter, it just seems like how those threads are set up to me.

13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    My deceased wife was an art consultant with clients around the world. No need for "helping people get better techically" in an art discussion forum, what is need is not just "what I think (and art is very personal) but discussions that focus on points of reference and what the formal art world describes as standards. This is very different from a critiquing forum where technical advice is given.

IMHO an art discussion forum would be more like a upper level college class on photography and where it fits in the art world (lots of very good books on this subject). I see lots of art images here, and my favorite place is the B&W forum. But the concepts of photography as art and even how various types of art relate is never discussed.

Art galleries and museums become a "peer' review for art. I don't always agree with curators or museum directors because art is so personal, however I do respect their knowledge. I believe that when you look at an aggregation of galleries on one hand and museums on the other (each has its own mission in the art world) you start to see a way to formulize a pedagogical model for understanding art and how the different art forms relate. And that is what I see as the difference between a photography art forum and a critique form IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Because it wouldn’t be a show case forum. For example, you could just ask for suggestions on composition if that is your weakness without including a photo, or you could include a photo and ask for ideas On how your composition could be improved. I mean let’s be honest. How many people are breaking down our doors to purchase our photos?

My personal beliefs are that you were either born with a particular talent or not.

I’ll use myself as an example. I sincerely believe that there isn’t an ounce of creativity in my bones. I’ll never be an artist, but I can see that even I have improved somewhat since I bought my first real camera, the Panasonic G3 in late 2011.

On the other end of the spectrum, there is Bobby Tan, who sadly doesn’t post much anymore on this site, but at least he is active on FM. He is to me the best photographer who uses m4/3. I say best, because his results are equally good, whether he does BIF, landscape or portrait. Basically, what ever he shoots, his results are fantastic. Not so with many I’ve seen. And of course don’t forget about post processing. It is part of the whole package.

Of course you wouldn’t post a photo just to show it off without wanting help with it - just to directly answer your question. It would be like a baby school. You need help, you come into the class room. Do you want “likes”? Post your photo in the appropriate section with every one else. Makes sense?

• Like Like x 1
  15. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I was watching a TV documentary about David Hockney and the stained glass window he designed for Westminster Abbey, he talked of when he won a scholarship to art college and how much his art improved in an art environment, another interesting point was when his artwork of glass and lead was being designed he needed structural technical help to where the horizontal stabilising bars were to be put, so they could be incorporated into the artwork - it seems relevant to this thread as art and technical certainly go together.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    If we have a critique thread (no ego's allowed)...we should put a password on it. The password can be right in the first post, but by logging into that thread, you are acknowledging that you are opening yourself up to be torn to shreds in a civil manner and ego must be checked at the door. Mainly to prevent some newbie from stumbling in and being "offended". Free speech and no censorship allowed. Just my $.02 of suggestion.

17. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, as a general discussion topic. I wasn't aware of the book or the youtube channel (2 different people).

&
    Hi, I'm not looking for this to just be galleries of images; more discussion-oriented.
    It doesn't only have to be about our work; could be discussions about published photographer's and how the compose, light, etc.
    For example, I'd be interested in discussing what I'm currently reading in the Strobist 103 series.

Hi, we actually have a C&C/critique section, and it does have a bunch of warnings. It has mostly been going quite well. Comments and Critique
    I think it'd be best to keep that as it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Sounds good to me. I’d add that if you are a member of the forum, you must have a link to at least some of your work. That way we would not have to deal with some of those know it alls who never post photos and all they do is put down m4/3.

Which reminds me, I’d be ok to see photos from what ever format. The forum should be about supporting and helping each other and not a pissing contest.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

We do have a section of the forum already dedicated to Lighting and Lighting Tutorials.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it just seems like we could be discussing art and technique already in almost any existing section of the forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yes, there would be some overlap, but I'm thinking more about color and light rather than the technical aspects such as 'how do I make my speedlight match the CFL lights'.
    Strobist 103 has a LOT of interesting stuff on color and light, fwiw.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.