1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Style vs Old Style Olympus Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MrPhotoBob, Jun 24, 2012.

1. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I am new to Micro Four Thirds photography and I have read quite a bit about the different lenses that are offered. I am shooting with a E-M5 and I have been reading about the old and new version of Olympus lenses. I have seen some used lenses and after reading about them, I read where some of the older versions were not as sharp as the newer versions. My question is, how do you determine the new style lenses from the older style of Olympus Micro Four third lenses? I read some where that there was a version II lens as the newer lenses, but I was wondering how to determine those lenses from the older lenses. My second question, is whether there are any disadvantages of using non Olympus Micro Four Third lenses on the E-M5? I have heard some very nice things about the Panasonic lenses but I am not familiar with them.

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I think they might be referring more of the old Olympus kit zoom lens that was replaced with a newer version, otherwise I have yet to see any other lenses in Olympus's line up that has been replaced(as far as I know). As far as using Panasonic m43 lenses on an Olympus M43 body, my Oly E-P3 works great with my Panasonic 20mm 1.7. You shouldn't have any problems using Panasonic m43 lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Is there a way to distinguish the old style kit lens from the new? I found one for sale, but I do not know if it is a newer lens or not.

4. The old one is shorter when collapsed but larger in diameter. It also had two extending barrels compared to just one on the newer version. The old has a 40.5mm filter thread, the new 37mm.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Old style looks like this:

[​IMG]

New style looks like this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Of course the best way to be sure is to ask the seller.

DH

6. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    One should be listed as the Olympus 14-42mm and the other is the Olympus 14-42mm II, but as the person said above, it would be best to ask the seller.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The new lenses all have "MSC" written boldly on the barrel. That's the easiest way to tell. ;) MSC means "Movie and Still Compatible", and all MSC lenses have internal focus. The original 14-42mm had a rotating front element. You will notice the difference in how solid the front barrel on the II and IIR feel in comparison, but also in the focus speed and quietness of focus.

I don't know who said the new versions are sharper... The optical difference between the two is that the original used ED (Extra Low Dispersion) glass, which is generally considered a higher-end process while the new version uses the older Aspherical glass, which is better for correcting wide angle distortion. The newer version does generally perform better overall, but most notably in the wide angle. I say "most notably" but the difference is still not one that any normal person would notice. :) The real difference between the two builds is the speed and quietness of the Autofocus in the second version, as well as the more solid fit of the front barrel and the ability to mount polarizers (since the front element doesn't rotate) and special-fit conversion lenses.

There are actually 4 versions of the m.Zuiko 14-42mm in total (disregarding colors). The photos DH posted show 1) the original m.Zuiko 14-42mm 2) the m.Zuiko 14-42mm II MSC, and 3) the m.Zuiko 14-42mm IIR MSC.

The II and IIR are only cosmetically different. I said there were 4 versions though, and not 3... that's because the first version came in its original metal mount then was released with a plastic mount as the kit lens to just one model body, the E-PL1. The E-PL1s, which was released only in Japan, introduced the first 14-42mm II MSC.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Thanks a lot for the help, joining this forum have been very beneficial to me.

9. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I ask the seller and I ended up having to explain to them that the lens that they were selling was the older style lens, they knew less than I did before I learned the difference on here. The best thing about our conversation was that they admitted not knowing the difference and stated that they learned something from our conversation, especially since they do not normally sell Olympus equipment, only when some use equipment comes in.

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I think the only other lens to be "updated" was the 40-150. It has the second two versions as shown above, the first, and an "R" revise which is cosmetic only IMHO.

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It makes you wish Oly put these engineering resources into new lens designs instead..