New strap for a camera bag?

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Strap 0 - Puppy 1

I have a need for a new strap for a bag with has a metal eye at each end. I'm trying to find one that incorporates swivelling clips so the strap may both be taken off quickly, and will also slide into an aligned configuration when putting it on. Additionally, I'd like a strap that i can adjust with one hand, easily, when it's over a shoulder. I do not need a shoulder pad as I loathe them :)

Any suggestions that do not cost and arm and a leg?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
If you just search for something like "replacement shoulder straps" you should find a wide variety and usually cheap. Swivelling clips seems to be readily available. But not sure how you will do with the one handed adjustment might be hit or miss as well as comfort.

I just bought the peak design slide lite. Pretty satisfied! You can easily remove and attach it to your camera. They have some videos on their website so you have an idea what is possible with the strap.

Real Name
Walter
I bought an OpTech S.O.S. Strap for my work bag. It works very well and the neoprene pad stretches to absorb shocks when you're walking and carrying the bag. Really makes it more comfortable. The strap is long enough to go cross-body. https://www.optechusa.com/s-o-s-strap.html

Available on Amazon.

I'm not trying to be a salesman for them, but in my experience, the stuff just works and it's quite reasonable. I use what I recommend.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I just bought the peak design slide lite. Pretty satisfied! You can easily remove and attach it to your camera. They have some videos on their website so you have an idea what is possible with the strap.
It's for a bag, not my camera, but thank you anyway. I have a PD strap and like it quite a bit....

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
If you just search for something like "replacement shoulder straps" you should find a wide variety and usually cheap. Swivelling clips seems to be readily available. But not sure how you will do with the one handed adjustment might be hit or miss as well as comfort.
That's the problem - if someone can recommend something firsthand it will be better than a generic choice from the web...it's the one-handed adjustment that is the difficult point to pin down.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I bought an OpTech S.O.S. Strap for my work bag. It works very well and the neoprene pad stretches to absorb shocks when you're walking and carrying the bag. Really makes it more comfortable. The strap is long enough to go cross-body. https://www.optechusa.com/s-o-s-strap.html

Available on Amazon.

I'm not trying to be a salesman for them, but in my experience, the stuff just works and it's quite reasonable. I use what I recommend.
Looks good - but that pad....does it not interfere when adjusting it for tightness?

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
I also use the Op-Tech S.O.S. straps; in fact I've got three of them. They've replaced the original straps on three bags of varying sizes and are much more comfortable than the ones that came with the bags.

Real Name
Walter
Looks good - but that pad....does it not interfere when adjusting it for tightness?

The nylon straps are stitched to the ends of the pad. That is, the neoprene pad is the only thing in the middle of the "strap" which is what gives when your bag bounces as you walk. The pad absorbs shock so you get a cushioned feel when you carry the bag. All the adjustment is on the clip end, so no interference. You can remove the clips if you want to thread the strap through rings on the bag.

Showing the pad sewn to the end of the strap and the clip with adjusting buckle. You can take the clip off and still use the buckle to secure and adjust the strap. The other side of the SOS strap is the same, so you can adjust both ends. Sorry, you can't adjust the strap length with one hand. I don't find that to be a problem. I have this strap adjusted so the bag will go cross-body and yet it can slide around so that I can put the bag in back of me if it gets in the way.
IMG_3089.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This shows the underside of the pad. There is fabric bonded to the bottom of the neoprene, so the pad doesn't get stuck to your shirt. It will slide, but won't slide off your shoulder when there's weight on it.
IMG_3090.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's the strap clipped to my Tom Bihn bag. I've had this strap for six years and there's some wear on the metal clip, but no wear showing on the nylon strap or pad.
IMG_3093.jpg

I don't usually use shoulder camera bags, preferring slings or backpacks, but if I did, I would definitely use this strap. This is the regular size strap, which has nylon webbing that is about 1.5" wide. I think the Mini version uses 1" webbing.

If one handed adjustment is key for you, then this isn't the strap for you. But, I love it. :)

@Macroramphosis, I took a look at Amazon to see what they had for replacement shoulder straps. They had a lot, but none had a single-handed adjustment mechanism. Almost all of them had something similar to this OpTech strap where you have to adjust the webbing through one or more buckles. Two hands at best. Peak Design seems to be one of the few who have quick adjustable buckles, but it's not made with clips for camera bags. You might be able to adapt it, but it'd be a shame to have to butcher one up, and it's not cheap.

I agree with you about those sliding pads they often package with straps. They would never stay in the right place, and usually wore out fairly quickly. The OpTech pad functions the best because not only does it not slip with a load, but the stretchiness makes it much more comfortable than a regular strap.

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
Thanks Walter! I've been to their website already and quite like the next strap down...... you've certainly given me something to aim at, anyway. Much appreciated!

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bought this because it has strong plastic hooks (yes, I know it says metal in the title but read the full description and it says polypropylene which is what I got) -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FDTMNRX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this one has sturdy metal hooks -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M0M9B4V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both straps are very good,

I wanted a strap which would go around my waist for carrying a lens pouch and bought the one with metal hooks first, It was really nice and was perfect for what I wanted. I then realized that being around my waist, especially when on holiday (if it ever happens again) the metal may possibly start to go off with sweat, suntan lotion etc. so I then sent for the one with plastic hooks and it's perfect.

Both are ideal for bags, your choice. The shoulder pad can be slid off on both. The usual method for lengthening/shortening is used.

Hope that helps.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Any suggestions that do not cost and arm and a leg?
Sure, make your own. Hooks as you like them. Webbing in the material, width, and color you prefer. Cam buckle for easy adjustability ...

https://www.strapworks.com/default.asp (high energy, maybe a little expensive)
https://www.seattlefabrics.com/
https://www.owfinc.com/
https://www.plastic-buckle.com/index.aspx (huge and very cheap source for good hardware)
... and many more suppliers with a Google search.

Cut the webbing with a heated knife blade. Sew it easily by hand or with a household sewing machine. Add a neoprene center section for comfort.

Real Name
Walter
I bought some 1" webbing and plastic buckles from Amazon as well as a Speedy Stitcher to sew the webbing. Turns out that a sturdy sewing needle and thread were all that were necessary. Learning some good stitching technique is a good idea to get a long lasting joint though. I was planning to make some extension straps using the OpTech buckles and clips, but cannibalized some existing OpTech straps instead to save some labor.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I would suggest contacting OpTech to see if they have any suggestions.

I also use OpTech exclusively. Their customer support is great - like businesses used to provide.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some great links there, thank you!
Glad to be of assistance. Do not (repeat: do not) be afraid of this. Your first strap will teach you some skills and will also teach you what you really wanted. Then with the second strap you can zero in. If you don't make any mistakes, you are not being ambitious enough.

I have neck straps, wrist straps, and glide straps in leather, nylon, and paracord. No factory-made straps however.

Here's some eye candy to stimulate your enthusiasm: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
Oh, don't worry - I'm quite the opposite. I have a tendency to muck about with anything I can to make things better, and from scratch. I love making my own stuff, much to the amusement of my family. The link to the plastic stuff is very useful. There is one item there I have never found before which I may order some of - you'll see the results here....

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Thanks to @Holoholo55 for the S.O.S. Strap recommendation. I bought one for my everyday bag which is heavy enough with two cameras, an umbrella and various odds and ends that I could notice the weight. The stretchy neoprene pad on the S.O.S. Strap has definitely improved the comfort and reduced the apparent weight. An unexpected bonus is that because the webbing of the strap is sewn to each end of the pad, the pad stays where it’s supposed to be instead of sliding back and forth on the strap as the pad did on the original strap.

Latest threads

Top Bottom