1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Sony NEX Lenses Leaked - Size Comparison with Selected Micro 4/3 Primes

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Some of you may have already seen that a DPReview forum member Eddieaus just leaked the following images of the three Sony lenses which are going to be announced on August 24th (link).

Using the filter thread sizes, I resized the leaked images of the new Sony 50mm f/1.8 and Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 to scale with images of selected Micro 4/3 primes to show the relative sizes:

6039687468_50eb8f09d4_b.

Click here for a larger version

The new Sony primes aren't by any means huge, but they are significantly larger than their Micro 4/3 counterparts. No major surprises there.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Do we know if the new NEX lenses are stabilized?

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    One of the rumor sites says that the 50 is stabilized, but the barrel gives no such indication, so I'm guessing it isn't.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks!

Problem is,
    They're still not available for purchase....:rolleyes:

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm wondering when they will be available. The Sony 30 macro was announced over two months ago and is listed at B&H as "Approx. Arrival October". If the new primes follow the same schedule, they will be available in approximately December.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes.
    You would think that with all the comments from MFT owners about lenses, one would *think* that Sony would get the message....But what the heck, we've been given 3 more NEX bodies though....:rolleyes:

7. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Those lenses do look very large! I know that some of the m4/3 primes are large (12, 45, 25) but some of the NEX lenses make me think you'd be as well with the Alpha body to go with them!
    I love the small size of the m4/3 primes I have (17,20) because they make the EP2 almost pocket able, fair enough I know if I add one of the larger ones its not going to be but Sony seem to be making the NEX body as small as possible then adding huge lenses.... whats the point?

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Smallest primes I've seen are the Pentax pancakes :wink:

9. robovalzuniga

robovalzuniga New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2011
    I still don't get the point of the Nex system, just get a DSLR.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Especially since Sony Alpha cams are body stabilized...I want to want NEX but I just can't see it yet.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Again, Sony Nex only makes sense for MF lenses. If you must have small APS-C AF camera then there is Sony a33/55. It has one of the most effective IBIS allowing use of lighter non-OIS zoom lenses. It also has much faster AF than Nex and wide selection of lenses at lower prices. I think Sony miscalculated something. So much R&D went into breaktrhough SLT only to be stolen by Nex.
    Canikon remains the best choice for those who don't care about size & weight (it's by far the cheapest option)

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if Sony really cares about NEX compared to their Alpha line? It's almost like they propped NEX just to be a thorn in m43's side. They're already fighting a battle against Canikon. I'll be really curious to see how the NEX-7 pans out.