New Sony M43 Sensor Coming in 2021 (early rumours)

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Are you f-ing kidding me? Someone (JIP?) found & read the Necronomicon and summoned forth the Evil M43 again!?

I hope it's not true for the sake of humanity! The endless rumours of its future demise will be brought up again and the torment for mind and body will be unbearable!

I thought it would slowly fade into oblivion, bringing peace to the great FF world at last.

giphy.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
This is good news. I am curious what the update will entail.

I think I read somewhere that Olympus had tested an ~40MP sensor when designing the EM-X, but it wasn't ready for prime time.

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Very interesting.

Wouldn't it be nice if JIP comes out with an updated OMD in 2021 with that new sensor and a better EVF/LCD. IIRC they plan to continue making high end OMD's, and such an upgrade would help make the new brand relevant. But, who knows...

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Very interesting.

Wouldn't it be nice if JIP comes out with an updated OMD in 2021 with that new sensor and a better EVF/LCD. IIRC they plan to continue making high end OMD's, and such an upgrade would help make the new brand relevant. But, who knows...
I somehow doubt we'll see anything in 2021. There will be a loss of engineering skills during the transfer and almost certainly large R&D budget cutbacks. Maybe if things go well in 2021 we might see it in 2022.

Real Name
Phill
I somehow doubt we'll see anything in 2021. There will be a loss of engineering skills during the transfer and almost certainly large R&D budget cutbacks. Maybe if things go well in 2021 we might see it in 2022.
Let alone the question what kind of camera that would be? The E-M5 Mark III is barely a year old by now, the E-M1 Mark III is even younger and the X would reach its second anniversary once JIP has completely taken over. So pretty much all higher-end models would be more or less recent. I guess people who bought the E-M1 Mark III just recently might feel a bit cheated if OM-D would release a completely updated version with a new sensor later in 2021.

Yet upgrading any existing camera should be pretty simple: A new sensor alone is a big new feature, E-M5 III and E-M1X could use the newer Truepix IX, include a more modern OLED EVF, further AF and AI improvements. But all of this is just speculation. Also we don't know anything about this new sensor just yet, maybe it is just an updated version of the special multi-aspect M43 sensor used in the GH5s.

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Let alone the question what kind of camera that would be? The E-M5 Mark III is barely a year old by now, the E-M1 Mark III even younger and the X would reach its second anniversary once JIP has completely taken over. So pretty much all higher-end models would be more or less recent. I guess people who bought the E-M1 Mark III just recently might feel a bit cheated if OM-D would release a completely updated version with a new sensor later in 2021.
Yes, all that's true. The current cameras are all very recently-released and (more-or-less !) have competitive features (albeit that they could do with a sensor upgrade). My guess is that we won't see much in the way of new products for at least 18 months, apart from those already in the pipeline from the Olympus era (8-25, 150-400). I do believe however that the long-term future will hang on a real upgrade to the EM1.3 and EM1x. Key areas will be EVF, LCD and sensor. I hope they still have the engineering resource to do that.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Let alone the question what kind of camera that would be? The E-M5 Mark III is barely a year old by now, the E-M1 Mark III is even younger and the X would reach its second anniversary once JIP has completely taken over. So pretty much all higher-end models would be more or less recent. I guess people who bought the E-M1 Mark III just recently might feel a bit cheated if OM-D would release a completely updated version with a new sensor later in 2021.

Yet upgrading any existing camera should be pretty simple: A new sensor alone is a big new feature, E-M5 III and E-M1X could use the newer Truepix IX, include a more modern OLED EVF, further AF and AI improvements. But all of this is just speculation. Also we don't know anything about this new sensor just yet, maybe it is just an updated version of the special multi-aspect M43 sensor used in the GH5s.

I'd think GH6 is the camera that gets it first, if there is a new sensor. As you said, Olympus is not likely to make a new top-end model at this point. PEN-F II comes to mind, but I wouldn't bet on it.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, all that's true. The current cameras are all very recently-released and (more-or-less !) have competitive features (albeit that they could do with a sensor upgrade). My guess is that we won't see much in the way of new products for at least 18 months, apart from those already in the pipeline from the Olympus era (8-25, 150-400). I do believe however that the long-term future will hang on a real upgrade to the EM1.3 and EM1x. Key areas will be EVF, LCD and sensor. I hope they still have the engineering resource to do that.

I am quite confident that Oly R&D is still working on the future high-end OM-D camera(s) (the R&D spend is still around $35M + HR costs a year). What would be real reason for JIP to get imaging division without any future potential? In the ILC realm full of gearheads you need more than new releases of excellent lenses and firmware updates. Also the E-M1iii looks like a very clever way how to monetize old components they had from original E-M1ii. The mark III is kind of a placeholder. They knew that a new Sony sensor is under development. Moreover they (with Panny) ordered it very likely. I would not be suprised to see a new E-M1iv somewhere in Autumn 2021 or Spring 2022 at the latest.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
New models are often released at international photo fairs. Non scheduled yet.

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Regular
If I had to put money on it I would say it’s a sensor for industrial applications and not cameras...

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
If I had to put money on it I would say it’s a sensor for industrial applications and not cameras...

So you don't think GH6 comes? Or that if it comes, Panasonic will put the current 20MP sensor to it?

Panasonic has stated that it will come if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Regular
So you don't think GH6 comes? Or that if it comes, Panasonic will put the current 20MP sensor to it?

Panasonic has stated that it will come if I remember correctly.
I have no idea. Last time I heard Panasonic was thinking about it but it sound like a “political correct” answer.

I was just sharing my guesses on that new sensor. Sony has been working on multiple sensors for industrial purposes (artificial vision, etc) so I would rather put my money on that then on a new camera sensor, but I might very well be completely wrong.

If a new m43 sensor with major improvements is being developed to be use in cameras, that would be great news for the system.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I'd say it's a 6k for the GH6 and BlackMagic.
12-24MP resolution.
For stills, worse low-light than the current 20mp.
Panasonic explicitly states that the growth market is video. If they invest in a new sensor, that's the solid bet.

It would not be the first time - the GH 1 sensor was better at stills than the GH 2.

But low light performance is important for video, possibly more important than stills due to the use of 180 degree shutter angles and LED video lights not being as powerful as strobes.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I'd think GH6 is the camera that gets it first, if there is a new sensor. As you said, Olympus is not likely to make a new top-end model at this point. PEN-F II comes to mind, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Pen-F II is basically the only option that makes sense since all the other hi-end models have just been updated. Think about the message JIP would send to the Oly fans if they actually did release a new Pen-F with the new sensor. That could be described as "peeing honey" (a Finnish saying). :D

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I sincerely hope it is a state-of-the-art sensor that can be used for the next generation of m4/3 cameras. The system‘s future really depends on it. If it is, l feel JIP would want to get it into a new E-M1 line camera as soon as possible regardless of how much time would have passed from the last E-M1 launch. It would show that the system can still grow and instill confidence in the new company.

Pure speculation and assuming the best case scenario... but perhaps JIP only bought Olympus Imaging because it knew a new sensor was coming?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom