New Sony Full-Frame Camera: The GX8 Replacement That Many Want?

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
"Sony Electronics Introduces Alpha 7C Camera and Zoom Lens, the World’s Smallest and Lightest Full-frame Camera System"

Weight (including battery)
Sony 7C: 509g
Sigma fp: 422g

Size (only Sony has sort of grip so thickness is not comparable but fp is really astonishingly small and light)
Sony 7C: 124.0 x 71.1 x 59.7mm
Sigma fp: 112.6 × 69.9 × 45.3 mm

There is a very fine print at the bottom of the page mentioning something about the smallest FF ILC with IBIS .

I didn't see anything about 7C weather sealing but Sigma is dust/splash proof and it has a huge heat sink because, just like pannys, it's build for outstandinc video specs whereas 7C is clearly a crippled "point and shoot" rangefinder with bare minimum acceptable specs like only 4k30p which is nothing to write home about since the price will likely translate into 1800€ here in Europe.

Anyone who is willing to spend around 2000€ for an ILC body alone can just as well throw in few hundreads more to get a proper camera. And I didn't quite understand the title of this thread. How can Sony E-mount camera be a "GX8 replacement"? None of the MFT lenses purchased for GX8 will fit and that's where the bulk of money went so the only replacement is another MFT body. 7C would mean buying an entirely new camera kit from scratch.

Last edited:

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
Do EVF’s use a lot of battery power? The larger they are the more power they use.
They use quite a bit of battery power but it's mainly optics and lenses that make their magnification. So no, a 0.5x EVF doesn't necessarily consume any more electricity than a 0.7x EVF...

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
We will see. Have a feeling that the price will go down pretty fast.
It's basically a crippled A7III for a premium price.
Although a lot of people say they like a rangefinder style body, there is a reason Panasonic doesn't make many anymore.
I am also one of those people who like the rangefinder style. However, it seems that everytime a manufacturer brings one to market they hike the price up a notch and/or swing the cripple hammer. No wonder they are not successful. The only exception is actually the gx00 series (not the gx8) and Sony A6xxx series, the later is probably one of Sonys most successful series.

People don’t pay significantly extra for style (unless Leica). It’s time camera manufacturers take note.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
I am also one of those people who like the rangefinder style. However, it seems that everytime a manufacturer brings one to market they hike the price up a notch and/or swing the cripple hammer. No wonder they are not successful.
Sony has a de facto monopoly in ILC sensors and they have even publicly stated that any new innovation or tehnology will be delivered to Sony cameras first and others will get it only afterwards (if ever) This kind of position has clearly killed the competition and made Sony feel like they can release whatever they like and customers are forced to buy it anyway.

Good comparison is Panasonic S5. It's essentially an S1 in a more compact format but with substantial improvements in AF and IQ and still somewhat less expensive.

Sony 7C is likewise a compact and marginally less expensive variant of A7III but with inferior specs compared to it's predecessor. Sony clearly feels that they are now in position where their new ILC models compete only against their own offerings.

This kind of attitude does not usually end well.

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
The problem I have with the A7C is not what it is but what it is not. APS-C for Sony is now pretty much dead. This leaves Fuji as the only other APS-C producer? And with that it means the reach/size advantage of crop keeps slipping away.

The problem I have with the A7C is not what it is but what it is not. APS-C for Sony is now pretty much dead. This leaves Fuji as the only other APS-C producer? And with that it means the reach/size advantage of crop keeps slipping away.
There is also Canon EOS-M. A dedicated APS-C mount just like Fuji X. But I don't know how long that will last.

Baseline is that if a mount shares full frame sensors and crop sensors the crop sensor is always the crippled choice. Sure cameras like the Nikon D500 where pretty awesome, but there were never APS-C lenses to go with it. Canon has never released a L lens in APS-C. Same goes for the other brands.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
There is also Canon EOS-M. A dedicated APS-C mount just like Fuji X. But I don't know how long that will last.

Baseline is that if a mount shares full frame sensors and crop sensors the crop sensor is always the crippled choice. Sure cameras like the Nikon D500 where pretty awesome, but there were never APS-C lenses to go with it. Canon has never released a L lens in APS-C. Same goes for the other brands.
Canon has a bad habit of releasing crop sensor mounts which are DOA because nobody, not even Canon themselves had any intention to ever actually release lenses for them.

Saving grace for EF-S mount was the fact that it was essentially just EF mount with another name and APS-C camera owners were able to use EF lenses which was just as well because it was really the only option. There's just a tab on the bottom of EF-S lenses which prevents them from mounting on EF cameras unless you take a pair of pliers and clip it off which I don't recommend because EF-S lenses might become collectibles thanks to their rarity. Both of them.

Unfortunately Canon lost it totally with EF-M mount. It's a dedicated mirrorless APS-C mount which is not forwards or backwards compatible with anything, including but not limited to lenses because there are practically none. They even managed to select a proprietary flange focal distance of 18mm which is not used in any other system, including their own mirrorless FF mount RF which uses 20mm.

It's quite obvious that Sony 7C is designed to kill off 6000-series which might be easy because Sony was wise enough to have only one mount for both mirrorless FF and APS-C. Any 6000-series owner who has invested serious money into high end E-mount lenses has ended up buying FF glass anyway so they only need to jump from 6xxx to 7C next time they buy a new camera body.

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
It's quite obvious that Sony 7C is designed to kill off 6000-series which might be easy because Sony was wise enough to have only one mount for both mirrorless FF and APS-C. Any 6000-series owner who has invested serious money into high end E-mount lenses has ended up buying FF glass anyway so they only need to jump from 6xxx to 7C next time they buy a new camera body.
This is my feeling as well. I really like crop for the extra reach and looks like APS-C is pretty much dead. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is my feeling as well. I really like crop for the extra reach and looks like APS-C is pretty much dead. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
(looking in my crystal ball) :tomato2:

SubFF I see:

-Pany putting out some last m43 bodies under the Darkix name before fully committing to L-mount, with no more new m43 lenses/bodies in the future. L-mount APS-C as discussed elsewhere could be their new video centric endeavor with that Super-35 affinity that film/video folks do find tempting(?).

-Fuji keeping up their FFminus (APS-C) & FFplus sizes and following their lone traditionalist path full of even more customizable film emulsion emulations.

-Oly now on putting out mostly high end long reach combos like the X+150-400 that can still seriously hurt anything FF can throw against them, at least until freschnel optics FF zooms come out (of course freschnel optics in m43 size will still be considerably smaller than FF once more).
Maybe also putting out a new E-M5 every 3-4 years until no more market interest in the old glory of m43 prime lens compactness.

My Grand Wisdom sees future A7C size bodies ironing out all their usability wrinkles and along F4-F8 middle quality but “good enough” FF compact zooms and 2.8 primes there is not much more m43 can do to stop the attack - IBIS cannot fight alone now that the compactness castle has been breached. Of course m43 can always be smaller but it hits the ”too small” limits making the ever more capable smartphone use preferable in all too many everyday use scenarios.

Only stupid thing by Sony is launch price which I see as overly inflated on the grounds of the ultra compact FF novelty.

Myself, I am staying in the system until the moment I feel it keeps me back which may never happen (though I see that my X100T jpegs are often more palatable on the iPad than many E-M10ii Raws, duh!!)

Last edited:
A $2000 body doesn’t kill off a $1000 body.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
A $2000 body doesn’t kill off a $1000 body.
I don't know US prices but here in Europe the typical selling price for A6600 is still around 1500€ despite having been on market for nearly a year and 7C is priced a tad over 2000€ at launch which is crazy because best price for A7 III is 1950€ (all prices for body only).

In my opinion both are overpriced for what they are but 7C price will likely come down to 1800€ pretty quickly after early adopters have been fleeced and before holiday season the comparison will be made between, say, 1400€ APS-C and 1800€ FF bodies.

As already mentioned, all expensive and high end E-mount glass that 6000-series owners might have bought is FF anyway so Sony customers can switch from APS-C to FF by simply buying 7C body next without having to cough up money for an entirely new set of lenses too.

Existing Sony APS-C camera owners are clearly the target group for 7C. Anyone who has not already invested 1000's into E-mount lenses will certainly not jump into Sony bandwagon thanks to such mediocre and overpriced product.

amit

Mu-43 Regular
I don't know US prices but here in Europe the typical selling price for A6600 is still around 1500€ despite having been on market for nearly a year and 7C is priced a tad over 2000€ at launch which is crazy because best price for A7 III is 1950€ (all prices for body only).

In my opinion both are overpriced for what they are but 7C price will likely come down to 1800€ pretty quickly after early adopters have been fleeced and before holiday season the comparison will be made between, say, 1400€ APS-C and 1800€ FF bodies.

As already mentioned, all expensive and high end E-mount glass that 6000-series owners might have bought is FF anyway so Sony customers can switch from APS-C to FF by simply buying 7C body next without having to cough up money for an entirely new set of lenses too.

Existing Sony APS-C camera owners are clearly the target group for 7C. Anyone who has not already invested 1000's into E-mount lenses will certainly not jump into Sony bandwagon thanks to such mediocre and overpriced product.
A7c is listed for 1799usd , amazon.com

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom