New Sony E mount camera - A3000

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by robbie36, Aug 24, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I think Sony's latest E mount camera looks interesting - it is a mirrorless DSLR.

(SR5) First image of the new ILC-3000 (A3000 in Japan). 230K LCD and 1,44 Million dot EVF. | sonyalpharumors

It is interesting for a couple of reasons. First it takes Nex lenses and being a mirrorless DSLR it is pretty small. The second interesting point is its price 300 body only - a big discount to say an SL1. Sony taking advantage of th reduced cost of mirrorless technology. It will be interesting to see how it sells.

2. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I am curious to know what Sony's strategy with their ILC cameras are. Because the rumor is their A mount cameras are also suppose to be going mirrorless next year, and their is talks of a FF NEX also, which begs the question why? As a A57 user I understand that their A mount cameras have a larger lens selection, and has better tracking of movement, but how do you explain the difference to the general consumer or even someone looking to switch systems, specially with this model coming out.

That said if was out a few years back when I was deciding between the NEX-3/5 and G2, my decision may have been different(specially since the rumors also state the interface is more like their SLT cameras than NEX). I really like the feature set that the NEX cameras offer, and they were part of the reason why I started looking at mirrorless cameras, but their interface and lack of a built in VF(and to even lesser extent lens selection) at the time was what swayed me towards m4/3.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's really interesting. Sony might be taking on the DSLR market with a mirrorless body that looks like a DSLR but costs less.

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    (SR5) More images of the A3000 and 16-70mm Zeiss lens! | sonyalpharumors

Yes it not only costs less but looks good.

My feeling is that the A mount is toast and Sony is going to concentrate on the E mount. Supposedly they are bring out an E to A converter.

I wonder if Oly or Panny will go down this route or you could argue that Panny already has with the GH3.

5. battleaxe

If you are talking about using A mount lenses on a NEX camera they have two of those. One with AF(that's suppose to be pretty fast), and a more advance one that support PDAF features of the A mount lens. I keep hearing people say they are then probably going to drop their A mount; however, most rumors are saying the whole A mount is going mirrorless, with one more APS-C(A65/77 successor), and maybe one FF SLT camera. I doubt they would drop their A mount line that's what many of the Sony pros are still using.

You could argue Panasonic has been doing this since the G1.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There's nothing unique about a DSLR-styled (because this is NOT a DSLR - no "R" at all), mirrorless ILC. Panasonic's been building them from the beginning of m43.

What's interesting about this is the price. I don't know what this camera lacks, but I don't see how they can possibly build a fully -featured ILC and sell it for that much less than it's competition and brand-mates. Something doesn't add up here.

7. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Make it look like an old time rangefinder with stainless steel and it'd be interesting.

8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    hmmm X100 / X100s?:biggrin: not stainless though

9. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    What is it... titanium? Aluminum? Plutonium?

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Apparently I think the same (delayed post);

Panasonic have certainly been doing this : the very first m4/3rds was a SLR-style.
    Also Samsung might be looking around and shrugging : they did this also but got mostly ignored.
    If Sony is budgetising the whole shebang that's great news, and I feel this rumoured retail price is the more important story here.
    I must say the SLR-style smooth black plastic camera is the one least likely to get picked up in my house...

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Wouldn't it be interesting if Sony's Alpha-mount, DSLR-class cameras all became full frame with APS-C going to the E-mount, NEX line? If both are mirrorless it kind of makes sense.

12. battleaxe

That could be interesting, if their A mount went full frame only; but, I wonder if they will just make those APS-C A mount lenses then into either a FF or will they just make it E-Mount? Interestingly enough this will have IBIS like their A mount camera, which I think is a first for an E-Mount camera. I wonder if the newer lenses will lack OIS, and if both can be used at the same time,

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    +100!

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I wondered if someone was going to mention that. Sony's version will use the same sensor as the low end DSLRs and maybe that will make a difference. So far mu43 hasn't made much of a dent in the DSLR market with any form factor.

15. It's about time that Sony made a NEX camera that you could hold onto properly.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Not sure if I'm following you correctly but NEX bodies have always had/shared their APS-C/SLT sensors :smile:

17. battleaxe

All their NEX cameras if I am not mistaken uses the same sensor as their various SLT cameras. I think the rumor for this one is a updated version of the sensor in the A58, which isn't that low end.

18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The camera is very low-end, but the sensor isn't.

19. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Deeply hurt last week by comments on Mu-43.com that the A3000 LCD was rubbish, the EVF was crap and the whole camera was pretty much insulting to mirrorless, Sony are just about to announce another new camera with an E-mount - the A7000 (for the less knowledgable Sony followers this is 2 above a A3xxxx and 1 above an a5xxxx and 1 below a a9xxx.)

Before you think I am making this up entirely, you should probably read...

sonyalpharumors

Amongst this cameras toys and features that include IBIS is also the ability of the entire sensor mechanism to move backward and forwards - apparently giving the camera the ability to focus Nikon and Canon lenses. (Rumor has it that the a9000 promises world peace.)

Now say what you want about Sony but you have to give them their due - they are certainly making an effort.

I think my Sony toy this year is going to be the QX100.

20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Sony are doing amazing things, their people are at the top of their game...I have no doubt that they're going to push out some more amazing gear in the coming months. Perhaps the groundbreaking RX100 and RX1 cameras really were only just the appetisers?

• Like Like x 1