New Smugmug

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Richella, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Have you all taken a look at the all new Smugmug. After watching Trey Ratcliffs YouTube video yesterday I decided to take advantage of the free trial period that Smugmug is offering. The new smugmug is superb. So easy to set up and customise and using the plugin for LR5 it's so easy to upload and mange photos in the smugmug galleries. Just change them on Lightroom and hit publish and in minutes they're online in a classy smugmug site.

Checkout my site at wwww.richardella.smugmug.com and let me know what you think. I'm still messing around with so many of the available options and don't have it quite working the way I want yet but it is very easy to use.

2. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    As a long-time SmugMug user, this redesign is not only beautiful and easy to use, but it is revolutionary in the level of customization it provides for users. It is truly amazing how much control they have given users!

I have always used my smugmug site for storing all "keeper" images, sharing with friends and family, etc. However, there is really no community on SmugMug (at least not that I can find), so I find myself spending most of my time on Flickr... just wish Flickr could have given this level of control over presentation of your photostream page.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I agree, the lack of community is a weakness at Smugmug. I have been using it as my primary sharing site for 2 years now and the makeover is welcome. Though I need to clean up my pics. Http://photos.narnian.net.

4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    You can find the smug mug fora 'digital grin' at www.dgrin.com and in the gallery settings you can 'strut your stuff' in a community.

Have fun!

5. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Yeah, I know it exists, just haven't ever "found it".

I love SmugMug as an online gallery/storage solution, and the makeover really lets you use it in so many ways. However, it really just doesn't invite comments and feedback, etc. I have friends and family who routinely view my photos there after events and always make comments to me in person, but not once has someone left a comment on the site. These same people will routinely comment or like an image on the rare occasion I post something to Facebook. That's because at SmugMug no one would ever see that comment so they would largely be talking just to me or to themselves. That's what I mean by no community.

Back to the original topic about the redesign...., it is amazing the level of control you now get, especially over the home page and menus. I set up my top menu to have drop down menus to access all of my "folders" (which are organized by year). This navigation used to take up most of the home page. Now my home page has the cover photo, a section with two rows of my "featured" galleries, then I have a mosaic of all photos tagged with the keyword "best" which scrolls infinitely (which I reserve for the best photos from each gallery... And clearly use too liberally given the number of shots with that keyword). Love it!

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Well I'm still trying to figure it out and they don't have any kind of instruction manual (so they claim). Richard, how did you set up that opening page that runs a slideshow?

7. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I wish they'd update their iPad app. It's awful.

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Ditto...

9. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    How great would it be if the presentation on the ipad app matched. The customizations made on the site! However, with the way they optimized the site to work on both computer, tablet and phone, I suppose it is possible they are just planning to move toward browser for mobile

10. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    When in the from your Homepage click Customise Site, or select Homepage from the customisation menu bar on the right. Select the content tab option in the customisation menu bar. There are 3 tabs , Content,Theme,Layout. Scroll down to you see photo, click to expand photo menu. Select and drag slideshow and click and drag it to the left onto the site page and place it where you want. The click the little wrench symbol and select from which Gallery you want the slideshow to run. Hope that it is clear.

I still can't decide if I like the slideshow on the homepage or if I prefer to display the actual photos. Any feedback?

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think I did most what you described, but my page doesn't look anything like yours. The images are smaller, and there are multiples (and the top image cycles through the slide show). What design did you start with?

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Rich, Today my Smugmug page came up the way I wanted it. I guess it has to think about it awhile. Thanks for your help.

13. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I too have been with SmugMug for a few years, and I'm really liking the new design as well. I had done a fair bit of hacking of the old site, but never got things quite how I wanted them. In about an hour working with the new site, I'm happy with what I have. Now I just need to update my slideshow gallery and hide some old images that I'm not happy with anymore.

jziegler

14. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My LR no longer can publish to SmugMug since they did the upgrade. :p

Anybody else have any LR publishing issues?

15. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Richard,

Yes, I can't seem to publish from Lightroom either. I guess I'll check over on dgrin to see if there's any information about this.

Edit:

Take a look here:
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236691

It looks like you need to update the plugin, and then things should work. I'm trying it right now.

16. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Your page singlehandedly convinced me to give Smugmug a try. It looks wonderful!

17. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Thanks! I previously reloaded the old one and got it mostly working - though several photos are missing locally. The new one unfortunately does not fix that even though I have resynched the site.

Smugmug support was useless - they never mentioned the new plugin and have not responded to emails since Monday.

18. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Update - it does appear everything is working BUT virtual copies. hopefully that will be fixed soon.