New Smartphone Question

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I think it's time for a new phone. My BlackBerry Priv reboots itself about once a day and I'm concerned it's going to do this in the middle of a call or when emailing. I depend on my phone for work and have started looking at other phones.
Does anyone have a Motorola Moto G7 Power, and what do you think of it? I need the headphone jack and micro SD card capability. The massive battery is a plus. An enormous screen and lightning fast processor isn't necessary but voice quality is important. If you have other Android phone suggestions, please sound off.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
What do you do on your phone besides calls and basic web apps?

G7 Power does have unreal battery life, but it also has pretty low end specs and camera and a low res screen.

If camera is at all important, I would give Pixel 3A models a look. The XL model has a bigger battery but costs more.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/google-pixel-3a-review/

Also consider that motorola rarely updates their phones and google always does. Should get at least 3 years of updates on the Pixel vs maybe 1 on the Motorola. So while it costs a little more, it may be a better value.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
What do you do on your phone besides calls and basic web apps?

G7 Power does have unreal battery life, but it also has pretty low end specs and camera and a low res screen.

If camera is at all important, I would give Pixel 3A models a look. The XL model has a bigger battery but costs more.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/google-pixel-3a-review/

Also consider that motorola rarely updates their phones and google always does. Should get at least 3 years of updates on the Pixel vs maybe 1 on the Motorola. So while it costs a little more, it may be a better value.
Thanks for the information on updates, it's important and probably knocks the Motorola phones out of contention. I don't care about the camera at al. I use my phone for voice communications, email, text and looking up information and news. I don't usually watch videos and don't game.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been using a G6 for the last two years and it's been fine (I'm not a gamer). Great radios and very good call quality.

I still get updates... but usually only every three months. Last was August.

Camera is meh. Plays/casts music and video just fine. Even 4k from my net. Works well with the Panasonic Image app. Plus I quite like Moto's minor interface tweaks.

Unless you game, want a killer camera, or prefer iOS, just don't see the need to spend 500-1000 for a phone.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Don't buy without looking at the Nokia/HMD Global phones. They're very well built and have been getting updates almost as fast as Pixel phones. Most have large batteries, micro-SD slots, and headphone jacks. Plus they're insanely good deals for what they offer. Main ones to look at would probably be the 7.1, 7.2 and 6.1 (the 6.2 looks excellent but there may still be a bit of a wait before it is released globally, I think it debuted in India).

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I recently bought the Motorola G7 power for my youngest daughter. I haven't played around with it much myself but she is very happy with it. But then again, she's 11.5 years old, so low bar. It is kind of a larger phone so if you tend to carry your phone in your pants pocket, it might be larger than you are used to.

As to the updates issue, keep in mind the G7 Power is a sub-$200 usd phone. So ya, maybe a Samsung, LG, a Pixel etc. will get updates for longer, but keep in mind that you are also going to pay 2x-10x as much for those phones. So you could buy the G7 Power for $200 then upgrade in two years for another $200 when the updates stop. Or you could buy the Pixel or Samsung or whatever for $400+ and get updates for maybe 3-4 years. You end up at the same price point either way. So if you don't need the latest and greatest hardware, the cheaper models can do that job and allow you to move up to something newer in a couple years and you will still spend no more, or perhaps, less than other "flagship" models of phone.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Don't buy without looking at the Nokia/HMD Global phones. They're very well built and have been getting updates almost as fast as Pixel phones. Most have large batteries, micro-SD slots, and headphone jacks. Plus they're insanely good deals for what they offer. Main ones to look at would probably be the 7.1, 7.2 and 6.1 (the 6.2 looks excellent but there may still be a bit of a wait before it is released globally, I think it debuted in India).
Yup, the Nokia phones are guaranteed updates for two years after launch. B&H has the 7.2 shipping Oct 23rd.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Thanks for the information on updates, it's important and probably knocks the Motorola phones out of contention. I don't care about the camera at al. I use my phone for voice communications, email, text and looking up information and news. I don't usually watch videos and don't game.
So why do you need the Micro SD slot? Sounds like you shouldn't have any data at all on your phone. I mean, that's a nice thing to have, it just drops a certain segment of phones out of the running and it doesn't seem like you need it.

My guess is that you don't care about the camera because you've been using a Blackberry. Obviously you've got by until now without a decent phone camera, but as a photographer you may find you do care about phone cameras if you had one of the best (like the Pixel 3A) at your disposal.

Unless you game, want a killer camera, or prefer iOS, just don't see the need to spend 500-1000 for a phone.
Phones are just consumer electronics now. There's no need to spend more than $10 on a toaster or $300 on a TV, but many people like nicer stuff that is better made and supported.

As to the updates issue, keep in mind the G7 Power is a sub-$200 usd phone. So ya, maybe a Samsung, LG, a Pixel etc. will get updates for longer, but keep in mind that you are also going to pay 2x-10x as much for those phones. So you could buy the G7 Power for $200 then upgrade in two years for another $200 when the updates stop. Or you could buy the Pixel or Samsung or whatever for $400+ and get updates for maybe 3-4 years. You end up at the same price point either way. So if you don't need the latest and greatest hardware, the cheaper models can do that job and allow you to move up to something newer in a couple years and you will still spend no more, or perhaps, less than other "flagship" models of phone.
I guess, but if the math per year works out to be similar in the end, why use bottom of the barrel devices all the time?

(Kid devices notwithstanding as they will probably break them anyway...)

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
So why do you need the Micro SD slot? Sounds like you shouldn't have any data at all on your phone. I mean, that's a nice thing to have, it just drops a certain segment of phones out of the running and it doesn't seem like you need it.
I save lots of music for the gym, plus PDFs and project files to the Micro SD slot so that I can have access to it when out of the office. It's a handy backup for meetings and presentations.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I save lots of music for the gym, plus PDFs and project files to the Micro SD slot so that I can have access to it when out of the office. It's a handy backup for meetings and presentations.
But would you need more than the default 64GB or 128GB that newer phones are coming with? That's a lot of PDFs and songs.

Just a question to ask before discounting certain phones without SD slots.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I guess, but if the math per year works out to be similar in the end, why use bottom of the barrel devices all the time?
Actually, following your plan at the end of the period your device will be pretty long in tooth. Maybe not bottom of barrel but getting there. And none of the devices being suggested are bottom of barrel . They meet or exceed the OP's requirements at a much cheaper price point.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
The Nokia 7.1 seems to be a contender in my search, moreso than the Nokia 8.1. I can get a 7.1 directly from Amazon.ca for $459 CDN.
But would you need more than the default 64GB or 128GB that newer phones are coming with? That's a lot of PDFs and songs.

Just a question to ask before discounting certain phones without SD slots.
Fair comment; I like to be able to remove the sensitive data from the phone when crossing borders due to my business and touchy clients. I've never had my phone searched but take precautions regardless.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
My reason is using Google Play subscription for music and Pocket Casts for the podcasts I regularly listen to. Fills up smaller-capacity smartphones really quick.

The market has conditioned people over the years to believe that a smartphone around the $200 mark is going to be absolute trash - and for years, they were. They were either cheaply made by overseas companies with poor QC, or they were purposefully built to be stinkers (looking at you, Samsung) in order to differentiate between a company's high-end and low-end devices in performance. Samsung would have curled up and died if they offered, say, a $350 phone that performed like their $800 phones. Motorola, HTC, all the big names of the past decade of smartphones did this with their cheap phones.

But you have to understand that there's a midrange market now that's heating up like crazy, and Nokia phones for example look, feel and act like flagships 99% of the time, with the only exceptions being really processor-intensive moments with certain mammoth apps. I really believe the $800-1000 phone market is on life support now, and camera whiz-bang features are literally the only things they have to bank on anymore.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
The Nokia 7.1 seems to be a contender in my search, moreso than the Nokia 8.1. I can get a 7.1 directly from Amazon.ca for $459 CDN.

Fair comment; I like to be able to remove the sensitive data from the phone when crossing borders due to my business and touchy clients. I've never had my phone searched but take precautions regardless.
What about the 7.2? Some fair upgrades and the price should be similar. It may not quite be out yet in your neck of the woods, but it just went on sale a few weeks ago, and HMD is a bit slow about global availability with brand new devices, I think it taxes their distribution infrastructure.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
If you can hold out for a couple weeks the newer Nokia 7.2 model is just released and shipping soon.

Not sure what shipping/import charges are, but B&H Photo has the 7.1 for about $350 CAD.

Yeah, that would probably take the Pixel out of the running then. Unless you wanted to keep the sensitive files on a small flash drive (you can use flash drives with a little OTG USB dongle on many androids)

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
FWIW - My kids had the Moto Gx and while they look nice and work fine - they often broke down after about a year of use. We moved one kid to an old Pixel (V1) and another to an old Nexus 5X - and both seem to last longer. Obviously, this is nothing but anecdotal evidence - but you can find 2 generation old Pixels in open-box condition on eBay for very cheap and they work just fine (Obviously it does not help with the SD card issue).

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
Don't neglect the otg option. Inserting and removing those tiny cards from a phone is often difficult, an otg reader will just be easier in that regard.

Use the internal storage for personal stuff and need-right-now documents, and then have as many cards as you want through otg. I find with the price of storage these days I'm often opting for many cheap and small (8gb) cards for the ease of organization and data separation.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
The market has conditioned people over the years to believe that a smartphone around the $200 mark is going to be absolute trash - and for years, they were. They were either cheaply made by overseas companies with poor QC, or they were purposefully built to be stinkers (looking at you, Samsung) in order to differentiate between a company's high-end and low-end devices in performance. Samsung would have curled up and died if they offered, say, a $350 phone that performed like their $800 phones. Motorola, HTC, all the big names of the past decade of smartphones did this with their cheap phones.

But you have to understand that there's a midrange market now that's heating up like crazy, and Nokia phones for example look, feel and act like flagships 99% of the time, with the only exceptions being really processor-intensive moments with certain mammoth apps. I really believe the $800-1000 phone market is on life support now, and camera whiz-bang features are literally the only things they have to bank on anymore.
The only $200 phones that are really $200 phones are pretty bad. There are some $250-350 phones that occasionally go on clearance for that low, but then you are already a year down in that longevity equation. Nokia and Pixel seem to be the only ones making really good phones that aren't $600+

But, TBH, I would tell most people looking for value to get an iPhone 11 and a good protective case. They are $700 and will get updates for a full 5 years. The CPU in the iPhone 11 is so fast that even at the end of its life it should be as fast as cheap Android phones. That's $140 a year. Or even less if you consider it might still be worth $100 on ebay at the end (which is what now obsolete iphone 6 is selling for). Even if you sell it or trade it in after 2-3 years you should still have about that same per year cost overall as they hold value better than anything else.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom