1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New small compact flash from Metz!

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by hazwing, Jan 14, 2015.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Anyone else interested?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/37...r-hotshoe-compacts-and-compact-system-cameras

Seems like a good size for smaller m4/3rd gear, when you don't need a particularly powerful flash. I like that the flash is bounceable, up to 90degrees. GN is a little stronger than the fl300r (GN 26 vs 20 @ ISO100) .

Also wasn't metz going bankrupt or something? I'm surprised they are still putting out gear...

• Like Like x 5
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Don't forget that not all bankruptcy filings are for liquidations. Some are for restructuring. I don;t know all the details, but that could be what Metz have done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Somewhat old news, the leica branded one has been out for some time now.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1064901-REG/leica_14622_sf_26_flash_black.html/prm/alsVwDtl

It has much better tone and the improves rendering dramatically when combined with a Leica camera, it's just lightyears ahead of the Metz branded version.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...631293opl_mecablitz_26af_1_digital_flash.html

The quality you get for the price is also much higher despite coming out of the same factory, Leica are just that good at getting craftsmen to put their blood sweat and tears into rebranding their product as Leica.

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Looks like it could be nice. Have been hoping Sunpak would come out with a version of the RD2000 for m4/3, this looks pretty close from a size function portability standpoint if not price.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You know what would be innovative?

Start using a better power supply than NiMH AA's....

• Like Like x 1
  6. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Like the Godox V850?

• Like Like x 1
  7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm confused... hasn't this metz flash only just be released? How do you know the Leica one will be so much better? Does the Leica branded one work on m4/3rds?

Can you please elaborate on how it improves tone and rendering dramatically... but only Leica branded cameras? I always thought flash is flash (light).

*confused and in need of some magical Leica "enlightenment"*

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It was a joke, sarcasm.. satire...

...the branding does nothing but lower your bank balance and add a pretty red logo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    ahh.... sorry missed the /sarcasm tag... my bad :)

10. usayit

Never heard of them.. thanks. No idea if they are sold in the US. DSLR power requirements have long moved beyond typical batteries.. flashes are even more demanding. Beats me why the majority still rely on AA batteries. Eneloops for me are simply a stop gap in technology.

I have a Leica SF24D (Metz manufactured) that uses CR123. At first, I was hugely disappointed because they are harder to find. Then I started using it... it goes on and on and on and on. Its characteristics are pretty nice for a flash application (maintains fast recycle to the end). So I now keep two to be used with all my cameras because of size and reliability.

Metz makes good stuff... a bit over priced at times. This new SF26 is ok. Its missing some features that I would like. Allowing a swivel head would really set it apart from others in the same size category... namely the FL-300R. I would also like manual operation as its size makes it ideal for other cameras I have.

I also like their oddity 28 CS-2. Small, compact, and enough power for creativity. Built in optical trigger and can "learn" various digital camera pre-flashes. I've had it for a long time (10 years now) and it really adds to anyone who carries P&S cameras for off camera lighting.

11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    If anyone has any experience with this 26 AF-1, please relate. I have an FL600R and while it's OK, it's definitely not the strongest flash unit around. I tried comparing GNs of the FL600R and the Metz 26 AF-1, and it's not very easy to do that because manufacturers pick and choose the units of measure and coverage to make their flashes look good.

Eg., the FL600R has a GN of 36 at ISO 100 using the standard reflector (zoom mm not specified in the manual).
    Metz 26 AF-1 has a GN of 20 at ISO 100 with standard reflector. Sounds like the FL600R is substantially more powerful, right?

I emailed Olympus about how their GN is expressed. They said Feet. I'm pretty sure Metz specs with meters, because all of their specs are in metric. Converted to feet, the Metz GN would be 65.6!

Can anyone confirm firsthand that the Metz flash is substantially more powerful than the FL600? I would really like to know.

Thanks.

12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Yes the FL600r is more powerful. FL600r has GN of 36m @ ISO 100. The metz 26 af-1 has GN of 26m @ ISO100.

The benefit of the metz 26 af-1 is the smaller size. You would need a larger flasher if you want some MORE powerful than the fl600r.

13. usayit

I think its pretty powerful for its size...

This Metz claims 249ft/76m at ISO 100 with micro 4/3rds TTL support.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745999-REG/Metz_mecablitz_76_MZ_5_Handle.html

No experience with it though...

If your application is specifically at distance (flash with telephoto), you may extend the flash's output by narrowing the beam further with a better beamer. Its basically a larger fresnel lens that goes in front of the flash to narrow and extend its beam. I use it with success although it takes a bit of adjustment to get it right.

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The Metz 26 AF-1 is not only powerful for its size, but also more compact than most flashes that have more power. I can see this as something that's easy to carry and usable on my Oly E-M5 and Stylus 1... and my Panny LX100. If I ever get a GM5, it'll work on that, too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Well this hasn't been around too long. There is no reviews on it yet its on backorder from B&H. Ive been interested in the FL300r for its size and I usually only use flash to help out shadows a bit so something small like this would be great. If it performs better then the FL300r, I'm sold!

16. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Re: Godox V850

Yes, they're sold in the US. The Godox lights are kind of like Samyang lenses--they're rebranded under a number of names. Cheetah Lights, Interfit Strobies or Bolt (on B&H), FlashPoint on Adorama (cheaper 'cause it's the manual one, the B&H link is to the TTL/HSS one), Neewer, etc. They're probably more popular right now for the "Wistro" barebulb flashes (power output 2x or 4x that of a speedlight, but in the same form factor, and with more of a "big light" falloff pattern), but the Lithium-Ion battery pack of the V850 makes it very popular for those who are sick of going through a gazillion AAs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GM5 with 1/50s sync speed? Kind of meh...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Well, the expression of the GN was the cause of my confusion. Metz definitely expresses it in meters. Olympus says their GN is in feet, which if converted to the same unit (1 m = 3.28 ft), gives the edge to the 26 AF-1, which is hard to believe given its smaller size and smaller batteries. My head tells me one thing, but my gut tells me another. The dilemma is annoying.

I hope someone who has both could compare them for us. :)

19. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There's no way Olympus is measuring GN in feet. In fact, the only people who use feet are in the US, so just visit a non-US website and look at the stats.
    Olympus:
    https://support.olympus.co.jp/jp/support/dlc/archive/man_fl600r.pdf
    Metz:
    https://www.metz.de/en/lighting/fla...its/mecablitz-26-af-1-digital/data-sheet.html

Another thing to note is that they are always quoted at their maximum zoom. For the FL-600R, this is 36m (ISO100) at 85mm equivalent zoom.
    For the Metz, it is 26m (ISO100) at 85mm equivalent zoom. Metz has a small table of GN for different zoom settings.

FYI the Nissin i40 is has a GN of 40 (ISO100), but this is quoted at 105mm equivalent zoom. The i40 has even more zoom settings, and lists the GN at 85mm equivalent to be 38m, still higher than the FL-600R.

20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Point well taken. But at least one could use it on that camera if one simply needed more oomph than the standard flash. :rolleyes: