New Site Feature: Reputation System

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have enabled the "User Reputation System" for the forums. Each member now has a reputation based on points which can be given or taken away by other members.

Reputation may be positive [​IMG] , negative [​IMG] or neutral [​IMG].

The easiest way to give reputation points is by Thanking someone (using the Thank button) for their post. 1 Thank = 1 Reputation point.

The other way to give someone positive (or negative) reputation points is to click on the reputation icon [​IMG] above their post and fill out the very brief form which pops up.

Members must have at least 3 forum posts and 10 reputation points in order to give or take away another member's reputation points.

Everyone starts with 10 reputation points :smile:.

Why have a reputation system?

The purpose of the reputation system is to acknowledge contributions from various members. While other boards "promote" members based on the number of their posts, this is a way to promote members based on the quality of their posts.

What does a high reputation get me?

Members with a reputation level of 500 or greater will be given a user title of "Senior Member"

Members with a reputation level of 2000 or greater will be given a user title of "Leading Member"

Reputation Levels will be assigned according to the following table:

[​IMG]

How do I know what reputation I have received?

You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation points that you have received.

Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.

What is reputation power?

The amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) with each click of the reputation icon [​IMG] is 'Reputation Power'. To begin with, each member has a reputation power of 1. For every year of membership, 1000 posts, or 500 reputation points gained, reputation power increases by 1.

Reputation points given via the Thanks button are unaffected by reputation power.

What if I don't want to play?

You can decide not to display your reputation by editing your options here. Note that you can still give and receive reputation if you choose not to display your reputation.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks for working this out so quickly Amin, let's see how well it works... it would be great if there was an icon we could use for the 'respect' rating... those titles are a bit cheesey but fun :biggrin:

Well done, another useful tweak to help recognise people who care :yahoo:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

The only time I've ever seen this Reputation button backfire is when some nut became vindictive, but we are much too civilized for that!::drinks:

I also like the fact that one can comment while giving Rep, and that members can see in their CP what the Rep or thanks was given for.

Thank you Amin!:hail:

4. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thank Yves, Vidar, Brian, and BB!

Brian, as one gains rep, that green indicator under the Thanks stats will grow. If you mouse hover over it, it shows the cheesey designation :biggrin:.

I looked around for replacement icons for the default indicator, but so far have found nothing worth substituting. Will keep my eyes open for something better though :wink:.

5. BBW

Cheesey is often quite entertaining - like the emoticons. Simple pleasures for simple minds.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Very true, and I love a good emoticon :dance3:.

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks for the thanks and rest assured I will be thanking people for their thanks as well - phew...........oh, Thanks

• Like Like x 4
  8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That ends this place for me.....

I wouldn't want to be a member of any forum that would have me as a member.....
    shooter

9. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Lol, you should go into politics!

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  10. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Don, if you're not a "Leading Member" in short order, we just might have to shut down the whole mu-43 operation.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ahhhh geeze guys,
    I've been known to be a rabble rouser...
    Can you believe that....?

I'm always the laid back reserved kinda guy....
    thanks again.....

I'm watching youse......<oo>

• Like Like x 2
  12. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    dont worry i got your back shooter :)

keepin it real

• Like Like x 2
  13. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I only join forums where I know you belong.
    That way I know I'm safe my brother.....

(Amin, here's another hard core shooter)

• Like Like x 4
  14. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Another benefit of a reputation system is that it will encourage me to read entire threads more carefully rather than skimming quickly to the most recent couple of posts.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Good point Bullfrog, if it helps to improve the signal to noise ratio, then we'll be on the right track!

Cheers

Brian

16. BBW

Interestingly one can give too much Rep (using the "scales of reputation" up by the post #) within 24 hours, but one can never Thank (via the Thanks button) anyone too many times. On other boards I've been involved with this is the case, as well. The software likes you to "spread it around" and kind of holds you back from too much Rep enthusiasm in one day.:biggrin:

17. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    To be honest, I've just been using the Thanks icon, bottom right corner... in a way, I'd like to see the Thanks score cleared each month - to give new members an equal chance to catch up on the scoreboard (a monthly summary would be nice), but I'm not sure that's possible in the current framework.

Cheers

Brian

18. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I think Amin should award $1000.00 at the end of each month for the highest thanks and rep.
    Just seems right to me.......
    I gaurentee this will be the most popular site in a short spell....

19. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If I did that, my wife would register as a member, and you guys wouldn't stand a chance :biggrin:.

20. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Actually, all of that is customizable. It's done this way on most sites because those are the default settings. I think it makes sense to limit the Reputation icon, especially since that can be used to privately and negatively impact someone's rep, and allow more liberal use of the Thanks button, which is public and can have only a positive effect on rep.

I'm still playing with the settings and will probably increase the reputation power of admins and mods so that we can recognize certain member contributions, but I'd like to wait a while first and see how it goes...

• Like Like x 2