1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Sigma 30, just a new shell?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ELthesax, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ELthesax

ELthesax New to Mu-43

Mar 24, 2013
    Hawaii
    Elaine
    Hey everyone! I'm sure we've all seen the awesome Sigma 19/30 deals come and go. Has anyone gotten a chance to compare the old and new "ART" lines? I've read that the only difference is the appearance of the lenses.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've also heard there are improvements in the electronics so they "boot up" faster. But I don't know if that is an actual physical change, or just that they have improved firmware.

3. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I had the chance to try the new Sigma lenses for MFT at the Photoshow in Milan. Couldn't compare them to the old 19/30 duo, but my first impressions were very positive, especially with the very new 60mm.

You can find my thoughts and some samples on the article I wrote here.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is the barrel metal or just metallic painted plastic? I'm not sure I like the smooth finish. I think I'd prefer a rubber focus ring.

5. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I'm curious, too. I bought the original models at the $99 price because I thought they'd be good to have for video projects, if nothing else, and I wasn't ready to invest in the faster lenses like the 17/1.8 or 25/1.4 just yet. I have the 45/1.8 and use it quite a bit. The Sigma's have nice cases and I keep them handy for indoor event shooting when I do that, which isn't a lot. When I've used them, on my E-M5, I've been pleased. They are fast to focus and give me good color and sharp images from 2.8 on up.

6. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    It is metal. I agree about the rubber focus ring, it's strange when you focus manually and don't feel the usual rubber texture.

7. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    It occurs to me that Sigma really missed a trick here. . . .

I reckon they'd sell a whole lot more of these MK II lenses if they had made them weather sealed!
    All those present and soon to be OMD / GH3 owners who presently only have one weather sealed prime lens to chose from (oly60) next to the uninspiring OMD kit lens and the very costly pana 2.8 zooms.

Their lenses for M43 are a little slow and large by comparison to other native primes offered in the system. And this is why they didn't seem to sell hugely well until the recent half price discounts on the MK I versions - where upon they became awesome value and sold much better it seems.

So I think Sigma should have either left the original versions on the market at the reduced prices or they should have made these new versions Weather-Sealed!

8. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    The 30mm silver is in stock at B&H as of now (I ordered one). Just keep in mind that it won't ship from B&H until after April 4.

9. Taki

Taki Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012
    Found a YouTube video of Sigma booth in Camera & Photo Imaging Show in Yokohama from February. It's in Japanese but they show the new M43 lenses during the first minute. The guy in white shirt is a Sigma employee, and he is saying the DN lenses are their "new design" and called "Art" line of lenses.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot5YejhV3-I"]CP+2013 Sigma DN Lenses[/ame]

10. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    When will available the 60mm or any idea how much it cost?

11. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Watching that video Above I am realising that the newly styled sigma lenses seem to be very much styled for the NEX cameras.

I preferred the simple styling of the first generation.

12. Taki

Taki Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012
    I did too. The silver one looks almost too shiny...

13. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I'm not sure... the black ones seem like they'd look nice on the G5. The silver might be nice on the silver PENs too.

14. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    I don't like the look of the lenses... and I wasn't the greatest fan of the looks of my plastic Sig 30, but now it looks better! :)

Agree with others that a nice rubber grip would have looked and felt better.

15. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

You'll have to let us know if they really come with the pouch and lens hood like B&H lists. If they do, then they might be worth the little more they are going for.

16. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    The original versions came with a pouch. And the 19mm came with a hood.

17. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks for your insights.

18. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Okay, I was just going off of what was listed under In The Box on B&H's site for the lenses. I still wonder how this'll affect the prices of the older lenses.

19. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    About the pouches... my old style 30 came with a great pouch, but it is way oversized (so they could include the same one with the 19?) so I've never used it. A real shame IMO. I would have loved using a nice pouch like this, but not for the size. I would have been happier with something that actually fit the lens, even if it was just like what comes with the Pan 20 or Canon-L lenses.

20. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Just got my 30mm in silver. Looks pretty sick on a silver PEN. :2thumbs:

AF is quick and silent. Not bad for $200.

Attached Files: