1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Sigma 19mm vs old Sigma 19mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sinclair, Mar 4, 2013.

1. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Being new to this whole mFT thing, and buying lenses in general, I've been wanting to add to my kit lens. I already got the Oly body cap lens, and the Pany 3D lens, but I want something more useful. The Pany 20mm seems the top of the list, but costs more than I want to spend at the moment. So the Sigma 19mm has caught my eye. Unfortunately my bank account has not recovered from the birth of my new son, so I missed the awesome 19mm + 30mm set sale. And the Sigma lenses seem to be getting hard to find. Should I scoop up a Sigma 19mm now while they are still around, or should I wait for the revamped one, and hope it doesn't increase in price over the current $149 USD?
    And like wise, the same question for the Sigma 30mm.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The new one is a strictly aesthetic revision, so there is nothing to wait for there.

3. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I've heard that, but the press release said it had updated optics. That and being listed as part of their art collection has me worried about a jump in price. But I figured I'd ask here from those that have dealt with things like this before.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Oh why oh why did you waste money on the 3D lens?

Anyways the Sigmas have not yet been released so nobody knows for sure, but the general consensus is they are identical to the old models. I suspect a raise in price, but like I said, nobody knows right now. If you can find the current for a good price go for it, they are already optically excellent.

If you are on a budget and want to play with some good glass, buy an adapter and try out some of those wonderful legacy lenses out there. I love my Minoltas but any brand will do.

5. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I sure as heck didn't pay full price on it, but at $50 I couldn't pass the fun it could be. I found a site that'll make custom View-Master disks for you from your 3D photos. So for the experimentation I couldn't pass it up.
    I already got on for my Canon FL/FD glass, I love the way long exposure night shots turn out with my Canon FL 55-135mm zoom.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Another option to get a cheap prime is to buy a Panasonic 14mm at ebay.
    You can get one for about 160$

7. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

How does it compare to the Sigma 19mm?

8. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Both are plenty sharp, and very good value for the money.

Buy the 14mm if you like a idea of a very tiny wide-angle prime.

The 19mm is very useful, depending on what you'd like to shoot. I reach for it when I go street shooting, for instance. It has very nice close focus ability, too. For someone on a budget, I'm firmly convinced this compares favorably to the Panasonic 20 when size and speed aren't crucial. But only you can decide if it's a focal length you'd enjoy using.

9. Vnnie

Vnnie Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Vinnie
    B&H has the 19mm + 30mm combo for sale for $199 but it seems they can't keep the 19mm in stock for very long so the deal appears and disappears from the site quickly. I think they had some yesterday but today they're gone. If you check regularly, you can probably pick up the combo deal when the 19mm is in stock.

10. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I've been looking for the last week, and they never have the deal up, shown as discontinued. Oh well, I'm looking at getting the Pany 14mm like suggested above. It's very small, so it'll make a great "pocket point and shoot" combo with my GF5 when I'm headed to spend time with the family, or want to keep the camera with me without bulk. Maybe I'll hunt the 19mm and 30mm Sigmas down on ebay in a couple of months or so.