New Sigma 16mm f1.4?

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
That really seems like a DSLR exclusive problem. If / when Canon and Nikon jump into the mirrorless pond, that'll be a huge boon for Sigma, since 3rd party lenses will become dramatically more accurate. No need to worry about micro-calibrating lenses to off-sensor PDAF arrays. I'm not sure if OSPDAF has quite the same level of error associated with it as off-camera, but CDAF certainly doesn't care what the lens or the AF motors look like and it will focus perfectly accurately.
If may very well be the case due to the PDAF not being on-sensor, but as a user of 4/3 glass on my E-M1 and now E-M1 II, even with OSPDAF, tuning the lens is still necessary IMO if you want to extract the most out of the lens. I don't foresee PDAF going by the wayside anytime soon, as DFD isn't a viable solution IMO, so the issue of lens focusing accuracy will likely continue to be something that will be looked at, even with mirrorless cameras.

BleedingGumsMurphy

Mu-43 Veteran
I wish I could see what Sigma could do with M43 exclusive lenses. If they could make something like the PL 12mm and 42.5mm with similar weight/size but half the price....
I agree and this is why I keep encouraging people to try the Sigma 30 1.4 in the "which lens" threads. If we all get at it we just might affect sales enough to make it worth their while.

At $450 the price is fine and about what was expected. Would be so good if we had one for M43 though.

By the way, I read somewhere that the PL12 is a Sigma lens. They had a patent for a lens like that and it seems that Panasonic and Leica wanted in so they could add their touches and get paid. I think it was said that Sigma manufactured it. This might be false so take with a pinch of salt. But if true it bodes badly for future Sigma lenses made for M43. Maybe Sigma needed Panny and Leica to come in to make it worth their while.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
By the way, I read somewhere that the PL12 is a Sigma lens. They had a patent for a lens like that and it seems that Panasonic and Leica wanted in so they could add their touches and get paid. I think it was said that Sigma manufactured it.

Back in the 4/3rds days it was also rumored that the Oly 70-300mm lens was really a Sigma lens tweaked a bit for Olympus. Most people pointed to the AF/MF switch on the lens which was common on Sigma lenses but didn't appear on any other Oly lenses that I am aware.

Latest threads

Top Bottom