1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Shutter Noise

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Harvey Melvin Richards, May 28, 2015.

1. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have a brand new E-M10, and the shutter sounds different than my old (one of the first ones) E-M10. It sounds slower, like there is a lag in fully completing the shutter cycle. Obviously shutters wear over time, but is it this noticeable? My old E-M10 is off being repaired, so I can't really compare the 2, and I have no idea how many shutter actuations it has. I do have 22,000 photos from it in LR, so maybe double that in actuations.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Did you have the release lag set differently? Short setting makes it sound snappier...

3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have it set on short, but I don't notice a difference between short and regular.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Anti-shock settings?

5. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I enabled the anti-shock and there is no difference in noise. Maybe there is a difference between various bodies.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
  7. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I just received the camera a few days ago. It had 63 shutter activations. Maybe black bodies are quieter than the silver ones.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you can, I would wait until you have both bodies to compare side-by-side if you are concerned.

--Ken

9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have a family reunion in a week which is why I bought the 2nd body. Luckily it was $250 cheaper than my first.

I will give the camera a workout this weekend to see if there really is anything wrong with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    it could just be natural

my em1 has probably around 30k shutters and ive recently noticed that it sounds especially sweet with just enough volume and snap... i thought it was due to mounting much larger lens (like 40-150 pro) that dampens the camera mass and noise emitted... but i think its just that some few thousand shutters ago all the parts have just worn in enough to make it sound good

go figure

11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    This is what I'm thinking. I wish that I was sure that everything was set the same as the old one, but is this even possible with all the options?

12. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I got the old E-M10 back from repair today. I put all (most) of the settings the same, and they both sound the same. So either the old shutter was replaced and now sounds like the new shutter, or I was hallucinating. I'm going with the first option.

• Funny Funny x 1