1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Sensor for PEN too?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAKatz, Jul 19, 2012.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    So with the new G5 getting a 16MP sensor, is it safe to assume the new PEN will get the same upgrade ?
    They can leave out the viewfinder though. I'd hate to let my VF2 go to waste. Upgrade the onboard flash instead.
    Will Santa be dropping off a new EPL-4 for Chanukkah ? ( yeah,yeah I know )

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If anything, it will get the E-M5 sensor...whether it will get the E-M5 IBIS is another question.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It seems likely the new Pens will get an upgraded sensor. From who is anyone's guess. The fact that Oly is using a Sony sensor in one camera doesn't guarantee they'll use it in others. Maybe their contract with Panasonic specified "Pen series cameras" or some such, so they were able to bypass Panasonic for the OM-D.

I have no idea if this is true. I'm just pointing out that none of us know anything about the what or why of Olympus' sensor choices, and anything we say here is pure speculation.

4. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Seems to me that the Pen lineup will need to have a new sensor if its to compete with the newer Panasonics, but whether thats the OMD sensor who knows?

5. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    Lately I have read on m43 rumors that sensor in E-M5 is from Sony not from Panasonic as Panny wants to keep best sensors for themselves. That's why Oly asked Sony for cooperation.

6. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'd say a Sony sensor is likely to be better than a Panny sensor anyway. Theres a reason Nikon and Pentax buy sensors from Sony.

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The issue is the Panasonic sensor is now larger than the 4/3 standard established by Olympus. Don't think Oly will want to go against their own standard.

As for Nikon and Pentax buying from Sony, it's because there's no one else out there. I'd rather have the E-M5 sensor come from Panasonic than Sony.

Guess you don't remember the piece of garbage sensor Sony produced a few years back:
    Widespread CCD problems in consumer imaging products

It even affected Olympus cameras, but we were the last to receive replacement sensors. I'll never forget, or forgive!

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    • Like Like x 1
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Most are betting on a refresh of the Pen lineup around the time of Photokina in September. I would be surprised if they didn't update the sensor. It is after all largely the same design as the one used in the original E-P1, now more than 3 years ago.

That's not really correct. Pentax used Samsung sensors in their K-20D and K-7, and could still, if they wanted. Nikon has designed their own sensors on numerous occasions when it suited their purposes including the ones in the D700 and the D3100 among many examples. Nikon is indeed by far Sony Semiconductor's biggest customer for large (non-compact) sensors. They buy from Sony because they get what they want, and by all accounts they've benefited handsomely from that arrangement for at least the past 5 years.

DH

10. jpil

jpil Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012
    If anything, it will get the E-M5 sensor. :43:

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    This is definitely my wish! :smile:

12. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I doubt they will call it EPL-4 instead they skip to EPL-5.
    Unless Olympus using new strategy the new EM-5 sensor very likely to be used in EPL-5....but if the new sensor exclusively for EM-5 the choice will be new 16Mp sensor with different version (like GH-2 vs G3 sensor) or new 12Mp sensor with better noise performance.

Everything else I guess will be the same (EVF, Tilt, minimal gip)

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Instead of speculating, there's a wealth of info on the Olympus site, if you know where to look for it. Here's an example. Check it out.
    SZ-31MR iHS Specs

14. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    They would've sold it to them if the offer had been high enough. It's likely Sony were just cheaper.

15. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I know nothing about Olympus superzooms (and superzooms/bridge cams in general). Can you explain what to look for?

16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you follow their trend, you will see this is a new release, and it is going with a 16 MP sensor (even though the the sensor size is different), the Pen series follow suit, only at a later release date. This also applies to some of the "gingerbread" that is released on these series of cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Eh? The oversized sensor still results in a 4/3 image circle regardless of aspect ratio, so what's the problem?

Hold a grudge all you want, but Sony have been making the best sensors in the business for at least the past 3 years. Canon used to be king, but they've been passed and don't seem to be able to catch up. Besides those were CCDs you're talking about (and 7 years ago!) and they've moved on to CMOS. Sony are dominating the sensor market right now with no end in sight, and the E-M5 is benefiting from it in a big way. With Panasonic sensors it was obvious that Olympus would always lag behind Panasonic in terms of having the best sensor available, let alone the market outside m4/3 which, let's be honest, provided much better image quality than anything m4/3 had to offer until the E-M5. Now it's Panasonic's turn to play catch up and it'll be interesting to see what they have up their sleeve.

18. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    I'm guessing (hoping) the new Pens will get the E-M5 sensor. They're good cameras and decent values as is, but with the E-M5 sensor they would be amazing. To have that kind of image quality in a tiny camera like, say, an E-PMx body for $400 would be phenomenal.

19. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Given that there are 16mp and 14mp cameras in their Traveller and Smart fixed lens ranges that have been out for a while, it is inconceivable that a new Pen will not be 16mp.
    http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29.htm

20. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm dubious about the E-M5 sensor showing up in the PEN series. Most manufacturers reserve a more expensive upper class sensor for their high end cameras. It appears that the G5 is just now getting a tweaked GH2 chip, for example. Second it'd likely cut off the E-M5's sales at the knees if the same exact IQ was in bodies $300 cheaper. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I think those holding out for the EM5 imaging in a PEN EP5 body will be disappointed. In fact, I think we're going to see the 16 MP Panasonic sensor, objectively similar performance to the GX1 and subjectively superior images.

Rewind about three years, and here's what I think happened. OMD development is just beginning, Olympus knows full well they can't ship anything like the Pana 12 MP toy in their semi-pro body. They ask Pana for the GH series sensor, Pana says no or otherwise makes it economically unfeasible. The (Pana's public comments suggest they simply said no.) The OMD can't compete with the GH series using the upcoming consumer 16MP analog sensor, so Olympus goes to competitors. Sony Semiconductor offers them a cutting edge digital unit and production moves forward.

Quote me on this -- Oly has the rights to use the basic 16 MP unit in the G3/GX1/G5, and we'll see some variation of it in the new PEN lineup. The only interesting question is whether they'll get the base GX1 chip or the nicer G5 digital unit.