New Samyang 8mm Fisheye

megalaser

Mu-43 Rookie
I understand that Samyang (Vivitar) are now releasing their fisheye lens for micro four thirds mount, has anyone tried it? how does it compare to Peleng or Zenitar?

voyager

Will this really give a fisheye effect on a Micro Four Thirds sensor sized camera though?

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
If I remember correctly the original Samyang fisheye was for APS-C. So I think it should be pretty close. I was actually thinking of getting one of the aps-c mount lenses and using it with an adapter until I heard about the plans for native micro 4/3. But then again before that I heard they were just planning a 4/3 version.

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
I'd guess that it would be corner-to-corner fisheye.

A lot of fisheye photos make me think "Wow, amazing!" for a few hundred milliseconds. Very few, if any, interest me for more than five seconds.

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
mine, on an EOS adapter, is not circular

4481806174_2915b07ba3_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4481361771_d3e29b41c5_o.jpg

4481371813_317b65db8a_o.jpg

jpeg from camera... no pp

4289667182_101bd44099_o.jpg

processed

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Excellent comparison. Pany7-14 hands down in the best of practical senses. Pretty well nigh impossible to judge either in terms of optical quality from the test, but I will assume that the Samy measures up on a comparative basis. I have yet to find much, if any, fault with any of the Pany natives.

megalaser

Mu-43 Rookie
The Panasonic 7-14mm will obviously beat virtually anything else hands down, it's an awesome lens, but it is 3X the price of Samyang/Vivitar so it is only for very serious users with deep pockets.

My budget does not extend to $1100 for taking the occasional wide shots so I am very interested in the Samyang release (which it looks like has not happened in March as originally announced).

As an alternative, does anyone have any experience of a good quality wide angle conversion lens that can be used with the Lumix pancake 20mm? I am hoping there might be something out there that is good quality as an alternative to a dedicated wide lens?

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
I found a very cheap (less than 10€) used 0.42x converter. I will mainly use it for my extreme sports video assignments. I can also post some pictures after the easter holidays.

And that's also the reason why I'm interested in the samyang fisheye. In this field the distortion is quite accepted

megalaser

Mu-43 Rookie
Actually I maybe have gotten ahead of myself, the new Samyang (rebranded under many names) is a four thirds lens, not micro four thirds, so you would still need an adaptor. The Canon adaptors are less expensive so i just ordered myself the Canon to M43 adaptor and the Canon mount lens which is available on Amazon at less than $300. I am looking forward to it's arrival! Shame the Lumix 7-14mm is so expensive, that would have been my first choice.

megalaser

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi, I have just got a Rokinon 8mm fisheye and Canon-M43 adaptor but I am having a few problems with it, I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on the best settings to use? My GF1 has the 'no lens' message pop up when I try to take photos using the intelligent auto setting so, the shutter priority setting gives me a very dark exposure and the only way I have found to get a brighter exposure is with the aperture priority setting and then the focus is soft. So I seem to have a choice between soft focus or a dark picture, any advice on the best general settings for this 8mm fishes lens would be most welcome - Many Thanks!

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
megalazer

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=2076

heres what i use , its hands down the best wa adapter ive ever used or seen

its useable on the panny kit zoom at 14mm to maybe 16mm, 17mm {no good at 45}

i believe its gives a fov like 22 to 23mm[ on 35mm equivalence ]????????

best of all its about 20 bucks[usa] used and a step ring to allow its 49 mm thread to mount on the 52 mm kit zoom thread is less than 15 dollars [us funds]

look in the gallery [cosinaphile s photos] for 2, 7 mb comparison images, with and without, and look at the corner sharpness and lack of vignetting and let me know what you think.....

i cannot afford to pay the extravagant price of the Panny 7-14 or the overpriced 9-18 m4\3 Oly for that matter.. when they stop trying to burn the early adopters ill take another look at native af wide zooms , for now this is what i use.... compare at 14mm without adapter vs 14mm with a-28 0.8X adapter and i would appreciate your thoughts about what the fov equivelancy becomes with the adapter mounted

i estimate 22-23mm but im just not sure ................

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
enable "shoot without lens" you can leave that on.....
and then use "A". Simply set the aperture on the
lens and a corresponding adjustment will be made by
the camera to the shutter speed.

ddr

Mu-43 Rookie
a somewhat related question....

I have the 8mm in EF mount, and I have an EF-m43 adapter that works fine (I tested the adapter with my 17-55 and 30). Whenever I use the 8mm with the adapter, I can never get anything in focus through the entire focus range. The lens works perfectly fine on a Canon body.

I have adjusted the focus scale and know how to do it. Could it be that I need to adjust it to use with my OM-D? I guess I will have to not use it on the OM-D if it requires adjusting every time. Strange that the other EF-S work but not this one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom