New Samsung Compact with f/1.4-2.7 Zoom

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by rdearth53, Jul 3, 2012.

1. rdearth53

rdearth53 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2012
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    Sad thing is that it has a 1/1.7 inch sensor instead of a 1 inch sensor like the RX100. More info if you want it at: engadget.com/2012/07/03/samsung-ex2f-f-1-4-camera/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I wouldn't get too excited given Samsung's previous efforts in the enthusiast-compact category..

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I wouldn't be so quick with that comment. This camera's predecessor - the EX1 - is a very good camera. I say that from an owner's perspective; not just reading reviews. I preferred it to competitors like the fairly well-regarded Canon S90 and G11.

What is intriguing to me about this camera may seem very gimmicky and trendy to many folks -- the wi-fi connectivity and ability to quickly upload pics. A year ago I would've scoffed at that, but recently I find myself taking "serious" photos with my "good camera", and them sometimes also taking the same shot with my phone so I can quickly share it. A high quality camera that can do the same thing (albeit with a pretty small sensor) really gets my attention.

I'm not sure how well that connectivity actually works, but for me this is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Add in the Sony RX100 to the mix, and the Fuji X10 a little while back, and the compact "high end" P&S market is getting very interesting. Makes me very curious to see what Panny and Oly have in store with LX and XZ lines.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I agree. I like this camera category quite a bit and always have. Yes, the small sensor size comes with some compromises but it also offers some advantages. These are a certain class of tools for certain jobs. I was an early LX3 owner and have just picked up an X10.

I like my LX3 and X10 because the lenses remain fast throughout their zoom range. And this new Samsung offers the same thing, as does the Olympus XZ-1. I'm not sure if the new one-inch sensor in the Sony RX100 is going to outclass these existing compact, enthusiast cameras. It's possible. But I can't help but think faster lenses on the cameras with 2/3 and 1/1.7 sensors mitigate the RX100's advantage somewhat.

5. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    If I count correctly this thing has 3 multifunction turn wheels. In the CSC market that means you'd have to get a NEX7 or OMD, setting you back €1000 for a body alone.... and there are even a dedicated AEL button and a continuous shooting dial!

How come these compact cameras are smaller yet offer that much more manual control than the PENs? Makes me shake my fist at Olympus.

• Like Like x 1