1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Rumor: camera dreaming

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Apr 11, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    New rumor of a Panny LF1: (FT5) Panasonic LF1 high end compact to be announced in late April. | 43 Rumors

Lots of conjecture. Interchangeable lenses? Fixed lens? 1" sensor? m43 sensor? etc.

Here's one camera I'd certainly consider buying, if it could be made to be compact (see how small the Fuji X100 is!)

How about a fast (f/1.2) fixed “normal” lens (e.g. around 50mm FF equivalent) in a super compact body with an m43 sensor, and aperture ring, shutter speed and EV dials?

Not gonna happen, but it would be really cool (though it could kill PL25 sales).

edit: rumors site admin seems to be confirming the rumor is for a fixed lens camera.

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'd be more interested in an rx100 competitor

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Probably a new line replacing the LX7. Hopefully with a larger sensor. While I'd love a 4/3 sensor with a more compact built in version of the 14-42 PZ, I suspect it will be ~ 1/2" sensor. Though even a 1" sensor would be nice, and probably give the Nikon 1 some competition.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Take a 4/3 sensor, put 30 megapixels on it, illuminate 1" of it, make it multi aspect...and boom, a ~15mp camera.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Very interesting to me if true. But it's all about the sensor. If the LF1 is just Panny's version of a Canon G15 or Nikon P7700 then no thanks.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Given that Sony can fit a FF sensor in the RX1, it doesn't seem like a compact with a 4/3 sensor from Panasonic would be out of the question. I'd love to see an X100 fighter.

I think that expecting a f/1.2 lens is a bit optimistic. Also a 25mm (50mm EFL) lens would be a bit tight for me. I'd be stoked for a fixed 17mm f/1.4 in a truly pocket-able form factor. I'd even be happy to accept an f/1.8. :wink:

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If it's sharp wide open, and can close focus, I'd also consider a 17. I would want no slower than 1.8, though.

I don't think the PL25 on a body equivalent is undo-able, but the more I think about it, the one place where Panny DOESN'T have a lens is a 35mm prime (there's the P20, but that's due for a refresh anyway). So a 17mm 1.8 is certainly do-able, both technologically and also economically (or 1.4, dare we hope -- or how about 1.2?? Look how small the P20 is, not optimize that as a built-in lens :). I just REALLY hope they go the X100 route with ap ring and dials.

Of course, it'll just be an LX7 with a 1" sensor, lol. But that's why the thread title is camera dreaming...

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm more interested in the last part of that post - that Olympus may announce the next Pen in May. :biggrin:

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree, I'd love to see an aperture ring and dials.

The rumors seem to be that it's a zoom lens, which would make it more likely targeted at the RX100 market rather than the X100s. :frown:

If it is to have a fixed prime lens, to be competitive against the X100s (considering it's unlikely to have anything like Fuji's hybrid VF) it would need to be both smaller and cheaper.

Anyway, this is really just so much dreaming as it's most likely that it's just a slightly updated LX7 like you say. :rolleyes:

10. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Hmmmmm......

Bill, didn't I see another post you made recently that said something like you weren't gonna lust after new camera gear until you had mastered all the stuff you already have? Or was that somebody else who posted that? :biggrin:

Remember: GAS can be fatal!

Just sayin'.

11. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I'd like to see: 1"+ sensor, f 1.4, 24-50 zoom, good macro ability, decent handling (ie not some miniature ungrippable thing), flip-up screen, good burst rate etc.

IOW, LX7 meets EPL kind of idea

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hey now! No one likes a tattle-tale :biggrin:

13. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I know that this is going to be a zoom, but I have to get this off my chest:

I would LOVE a truly compact, high-quality, 100mm focal length-equivalent, FAST, fixed-lens camera. I almost always have my OM50 f1.4 on my E-P2, and it'd be really neat to have something like that I could slip in a pocket.

Anyway, I know I'm the only one. Back to your regular scheduled rumour-mongering.

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As you note, I think the market for a camera with a fixed prime lens with such a narrow angle of view would be diminishingly tiny. I think perhaps your best hope of ever seeing such a beast is to save your money and hope for another accounting scandal at Olympus at which time you could swoop in and acquire the imaging division and set the engineers to your whims. :wink: