1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New rule for myself: no buying any more until I take some pictures!

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by WT21, Mar 5, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    New rule for myself. No more pondering gear, taking test shots, buying and selling until I actually get out and take pictures! It's been so grey and drab (I forget what the sun looks like) that gear trolling is taking the place of photography.

No more equipment, until I can actually go out and try out the new toys I've bought in the last month or so!

(well, we'll see how long this resolution lasts.)

• Like Like x 10
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well done and please do share those pics with us . I have stopped looking at camera reviews and upcoming new cameras. I have concluded that all cameras these days take great pics BUT you have to actually go out and take pics to appreciate that instead of sittting infornt of the computer and read at endless and useless internet reviews by some of paid gearheads . All manufacturers do their home work and tend to offer something better , so these days IQ is not at a problem at all . The only camera I am gonna buy is either Fuji EX1 with 18-55 or most likely Fuji X100s for my wife and daughter and I am done . I am pretty happy satisfied with OMD and its a versatile tool. Cameras dont make photographers famous , Its the photographer who makes the camera famous other wise every owner of FF , Leica or medium format would have been a world famous photographers. So stick to your resolution , take pics and share with your extended MFT forum family .
    :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::drinks::drinks::drinks:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I am right there with you. Got the beautiful Oly 75 a while ago and don't make it enough of a priority tomjust go out there. And the weather is not a good excuse where I am.... Was thinking about replacing the GF2 which I use as a 'second body' when it occurred to me I don't even use the first body GH2 enough to justify anything like that.

Stefan

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good luck! :2thumbs:

5. Oh dear, this GAS epidemic is possibly more debilitating than I first thought. Good luck on a speedy recovery!

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    A Ninja can be deceiving I guess... :biggrin:

7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Found a remedy for out of control GAS. No ready cash, and two good cameras, that no one wants, .....at least, not more than I do.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I recently sold off some of my film camera collection on ebay to raise enough to get the E-PL5 body and the 17mm f/1.8.

I just bought a Panasonic DMC-LX7 on sale for about $300 so I could have a simple cam for running around with family and not worry about changing lenses but that money came out of a photo job I did recently.

For now: I'm out of GAS, lol. Time to take more pictures and the season is changing to the time when everything picks up. Looking forward to it.

Hey, get into urbex -- abandoned buildings can be shot ANY time of year, lol.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good resolution. :smile::smile::smile:

Due to work & family, I envy (in a good way) :smile: those that get time to take those shots....:redface:

10. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I hear you, I have a 9-18 and 40-150 that have seen no real use so far. I really need to get out and see what they can do.

11. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hopefully your willpower endures. I have yet to upgrade past the 12MP sensor. There are several reasons for this. I only returned to photography a few years ago and in reality my skills cannot yet match the gear I have. Sure there are times when I desire the latest and greatest, but unless there is a specific need I attempt to refrain to continually jumping in.

I had a go at street photography about one month ago for the first time and realized that I enjoyed the buzz of getting up close and hopefully not being noticed. I have always enjoyed taking pictures of people, but at times, willing candidates were a little tired of being snapped. Answer, street photography where I satisfy my desires to snap people in their natural state, and they are oblivious to their role in my activity.

I still own the EP1 and everytime pick it up, it still feels great. To fight off the GAS a month or 2 back I decided to set myself a limit of a small monthly amount to spend to maximize the use of this body for street work. Gariz buttons, RF lens hoods, leather covers, and descent LCD hard covers. Total cost = $35.

My next purchase will be a hinged version of flash bounce cards (similar to the demb flip it). There is a company in the UK that manufactures a product which looks great. I have experimented with cardboard cards of various shapes for months, and for my use, these style of products are exactly what I need. Total cost = $45 for 2 units + spares.

On a totally different subject, but related to GAS, or the avoidance of, I live in a place where quality television programming is limited. Instead of paying high subscription rates for pay tv services that were still poor quality (genre and constant repeats), I started researching upgrading my apple tv 1st generation box to the latest version. After searching this, I quickly discovered that the best unit and most adaptable was the 1st generation unit. New software, internal mods and learning the processes of linking directly to my computer via networking / sharing has now opened up a full home theatre system where I can view anything I download on my large screen with full 5.1 sound. Total cost = $8 for a USB stick dedicated to upload software.

Now instead of heading outside to the local video store to rent a show, I get online and download whatever I choose. 10 minutes later I am watching it.

Although I try to stay off the GAS wagon, I am not always successful. I am extremely disappointed by the rumors to the pending EP5. If this becomes reality, then I may consider selling everything M43 and switching.

Good luck in your quest. I have no snow where I live. I have the opposite extreme of high temperatures and humidy, smoke haze and pollution. Some days it is easier to stay inside. Other days I get out and have 3 more showers inside my clothes like everybody else....

12. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I tried to take photos earlier this week. I went to N Yorks (Lower Swaledale) to mate a dog and a combination of fuel problems (bio diesel didn't like 0c) so I was late setting out, a bitch that didn't like the thought of mating that day, and a thick morning mist the following day hiding all the great scenery meant I came home with nothing worth showing .... but we had a successful mating in the end so I shouldn't complain but I guess I always want more

13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I need to get out and find new things to photograph, I always seem to go to the same places, still spring is nearly here so may that will give me more inspiration.

I haven't used my m4/3 gear for ages either, I'm getting lazy and tend to just take my RX100 these days, it's a stella little camera and really take good quality pics.

Paul

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    [thread=45556]Looks like[/thread] you almost made it two whole months. :tongue:

I guess they're right when they say a tiger can't change its stripes. :wink:

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Wait! No! I took pictures! About 1,000 shots.

Dang internet, page cache thing...

16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    This is why I don't post threads like this for myself, I know well enough to know it'll come back and bite me later :biggrin: :wink:

17. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    GAS is worse than new car fever! I've had ncf for a while now, then again I'm driving a 20 year old car! It's also more dangerous as I'll converse with my wife over a new car, but she doesn't understand GAS at all. I mean how do you explain that you NEED a new flash or a new lens when she sees you already have several of each?

18. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Stupid rule. Go buy something and get over it. You'll feel better.

Gordon

19. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Good luck! Gas is pure pain and one things that helps me is to remove my focus from new gear to the actual pictures. I must visualize, dream and hunger for those pictures that make me joyful and satisfied. Another thing is to make large prints and frame in your house and change them from month to month.
    Good luck!

20. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.