1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New RRS Modular L plate for GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by CPWarner, Mar 1, 2012.

1. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I have been using L-plates on my cameras for years and find them to be really useful. I use tripods a lot and this makes switching between horizontal and vertical very quick. So, when Really Right Stuff (RRS) announced this modular L-plate I was intrigued and ordered it. For those that use L-plates I thought you might like to see this as it is a new variation which allows one to remove the vertical portion when not needed. You can even buy the base plate and then add the vertical portion later. Pretty cool.

Disclaimers: I have no relationship of any kind with RRS (other than they take wads of money from me periodically), and yes these photos are pretty lousy :smile:. I tried to take them while something was defrosting for dinner and did not have much time. Better photos here: RRS

GX1 with full L-Plate. Notice how they extended the grip shape. Nicely done and fits very will in the hand.
    [​IMG]

From the back:
    View attachment 193354

From the bottom. They made it possible to open the battery/SD card door without removing the plate.
    [​IMG]

Without the Vertical portion of L-Plate: Does not add much to the GX1, and will stay on mine this way most of the time, except when I need the vertical part which will go in the camera bag.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I thought I would share in case people were looking for something like this. The m4/3 has not been well supported by the companies that make custom plates in the past, so this is great to see. I should note that these plates are expensive at $60 for just the plate and $120 for the whole kit. But if you use these all the time, the dedicated ones that really fit well are worth it IMHO.

Cliff

• Like Like x 2
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    RRS makes some, well, really good stuff.:biggrin:
    Thanks for sharing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.