New Rokinon 7.5mm--why this place is great!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PaulGiz, Jan 29, 2016.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Got my copy of this lens. Shot a few indoors wide open, manual focus. Images sharp, sharp, sharp. As sharp as anything I've ever seen, even in the corners.

Went outside and found everything was soft, looked crappy edge-to-edge.

Did a search here and found an article about how these lenses sometimes don't focus to infinity. A few more tests confirmed I was way short.

A drag, but fixable, thanks to Quatchi's instructions on the forum.

[DIY] Fixing the Rokino/Samyang/Walimex 7.5 MFT Fisheye Focus Issue

Not thrilled but sure better than mailing lenses back and forth until I got a perfect copy.

Hope I get decent weather Saturday to do this right.

Nice to have such a great resource in the knowledge bank of our members.

P.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wes Coleman

Wes Coleman Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 24, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Wes Coleman
    It's such a fun lens to shoot with, isn't it? I'm always amazed at the sharpness too, my focusing skills are usually the reason for any soft shots I get.

I'll have to stop down to 3.5 and test whether my copy can actually hit infinity properly. It has no trouble at 5.6 and higher, though.

3. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Each time I've got something soft from this lens it's either:
    - I turned the focus ring accidentaly (the focus ring is pretty stiff so it's pretty rare)
    - I choose a very small aperture (f/16 for example) to get a "sunstar" effect. The loss of sharpness is inevitable.

It's a very good lens for me, not expensive, very easy & fun to use.

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I would say that the optical performance (esp. with the LR presets) this is the "Value Proposition" in m43. Really the sharpness is amazing.