New Report States That Only Canon, Nikon, and Sony Will Survive in the Camera Market

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
The concept that the CEO of Olympus 'knows better' is one of the most ridiculous in Japanese Corporate History.

As for really putting any faith in the management of a company that has seen its digital imaging revenues fall 75 percent over the last 5 years and where losses from imaging have average US$100m a year - it wouldnt be too advisable. Could management have actually done worse?
What's most surprising is that the CEO of Olympus hasn't been put in prison for financial fraud. A couple of generations ago, he'd have been expected to commit suicide due to his disgrace.

Gary Ramey

Mu-43 Veteran
Again, Smartphones are scalping the compact market not mirror-less. What is hurting Olympus and the smaller manufacturers is Nikon and Canon who simply used brand recognition to steal a large market share. I agree with the
post that identified a lack of marketing as part of the problem.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
What is hurting Olympus and the smaller manufacturers is Nikon and Canon who simply used brand recognition to steal a large market share. I
a) Starting to sound like a scratched record now...
b) So this is Nikon and Canon's 'fault' then?
c) How does one explain that I see mostly Sony mirrorless systems here above any other brand?
d) Fuji didn't use brand name yet they burst on/in the scene with a fury...

Gary Ramey

Mu-43 Veteran
RT - So now you're going to argue the J1 was the supreme Mirrorless camera of the land when it was launched? Seriously? That camera had what, 2 lenses? No one said anything about anyone being at fault. The fact is some people make uneducated purchases shouldn't surprise anyone. 3. Maybe Sony makes a nice product? Again, Fuji isn't exactly a newcomer to photography. In any case, as someone pointed out earlier, financials don't lie. Olympus went from a 250 million loss 2 years ago and trimmed that to 27 million in the last year. They're gross margins were good and simply need to find a way to get spending and debt under control. Olympus also has several other profitable dviisions within the company to keep it afloat until that corner is turned. Nikon who has been seeing a diminishing profit the last 2 years is in a precarious position as well...the last two quarters their net profit was in the red. The only thing that is certain is that it is unlikely that all of them will continue to survive without being bought out. It may be that Olympus folds shop, who knows. More than likely mergers will form with product lines sold to stave off creditors. BTW, Sony due to their deep pockets and nice products might end up king of the hill.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The day I can get focus peaking on a Nikon or Canon DSLR, is the day I'll believe these companies could be viable once again. Nothing sums up their collective blindness better than focus peaking.
Um, while I really like focus peaking for my legacy glass, I do think it's fairly niche as features go. Not something 90% of camera buyers (who only use AF) will ever use or want.

woof

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Fuji didn't use brand name yet they burst on/in the scene with a fury...
Really? You never shot film then. Film is dead perhaps. Many of us who shot it are not.

I love Velvia and Reala and brand loyalty/trust/recognition certainly figured into my purchase of a Fuji Digital.

Anyway, the Fujifilm FinePix MX-700 was the first camera of the FinePix series, and was released in 1998. The S1 Pro arrived in 2000 I think.

Going back just a little in history, Fuji Photo Film, today Fujifilm. was founded in 1934 and became the number two imaging company behind Kodak with a strong market leadership in its home market in Japan.

Their entry into this segment is hardly anything new.

woof!

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
And a little more from T.O.P. with guest post By Thom:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2014/01/olympus-disappearing-thom-responds.html

This is more fun than tennis, my neck doesn't get sore from watching things get batted back and forth :biggrin:.

I dunno about Oly going permanently off line but I do know that my new flash bracket came in yesterday and with a little judicious use of the bench grinder I think I can improve upon the design so Oly's demise will just have to wait. I've got photographic hobby stuff to do :wink:

Regards,

Jim

bigal1000

Mu-43 Veteran
History usually repeats itself and that's what Americans prefer. Both Canon and Nikon sell feeder products as APS-C in the attempting to get you to eventually upgrade to a full frame. At least Sony is getting the right idea with the A7. Americans usually equate bigger as better. Just look at the US military and the attitude of Americans overseas and you know what their culture traits are. Unless Americans make a drastic culture change which I think is hardly the case. We've been through this kind of thing in the early 80s with film and, guess what people said then? Blah blah Nikon, Canon and 35mm will be taken over by 110. That time, it was called the Pentax System 10 which uses the 110 film format. The camera was known as the Pentax Auto 110. It was small, the same size as the E-PL1 or maybe E-PL5 and the hope was, people will prefer the smaller format. It was sold until 1985 and then gone! As we know now, 35mm film DSLR kept going along despite the fact that there were other competing formats.

Today, m43, E-mount, A-mount, APS-C blah blah are just a repeat of history in the early 80s. And what happened to Pentax now? Relegated to the small division of Ricoh. No one had seen this coming -- no one because most of them like most of you now are blinded by the truth!
Your a real piece of work figures being from "Canada" who cares about your opinion of Americans. I don't care if I'm banned from here or not I'm tired of hearing all of babilng on and on who cares,bye !!!!!!!!!!!

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
History usually repeats itself and that's what Americans prefer. Both Canon and Nikon sell feeder products as APS-C in the attempting to get you to eventually upgrade to a full frame. At least Sony is getting the right idea with the A7. Americans usually equate bigger as better. Just look at the US military and the attitude of Americans overseas and you know what their culture traits are. Unless Americans make a drastic culture change which I think is hardly the case. We've been through this kind of thing in the early 80s with film and, guess what people said then? Blah blah Nikon, Canon and 35mm will be taken over by 110. That time, it was called the Pentax System 10 which uses the 110 film format. The camera was known as the Pentax Auto 110. It was small, the same size as the E-PL1 or maybe E-PL5 and the hope was, people will prefer the smaller format. It was sold until 1985 and then gone! As we know now, 35mm film DSLR kept going along despite the fact that there were other competing formats.

Today, m43, E-mount, A-mount, APS-C blah blah are just a repeat of history in the early 80s. And what happened to Pentax now? Relegated to the small division of Ricoh. No one had seen this coming -- no one because most of them like most of you now are blinded by the truth!
Please come back when you have a thoughtful contribution, eh? :wink:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom