1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Report States That Only Canon, Nikon, and Sony Will Survive in the Camera Market

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by TPiorkowski, Dec 30, 2013.

1. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    What's most surprising is that the CEO of Olympus hasn't been put in prison for financial fraud. A couple of generations ago, he'd have been expected to commit suicide due to his disgrace.

2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Again, Smartphones are scalping the compact market not mirror-less. What is hurting Olympus and the smaller manufacturers is Nikon and Canon who simply used brand recognition to steal a large market share. I agree with the
    post that identified a lack of marketing as part of the problem.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    a) Starting to sound like a scratched record now...
    b) So this is Nikon and Canon's 'fault' then?
    c) How does one explain that I see mostly Sony mirrorless systems here above any other brand?
    d) Fuji didn't use brand name yet they burst on/in the scene with a fury...

4. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
  5. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  6. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    RT - So now you're going to argue the J1 was the supreme Mirrorless camera of the land when it was launched? Seriously? That camera had what, 2 lenses? No one said anything about anyone being at fault. The fact is some people make uneducated purchases shouldn't surprise anyone. 3. Maybe Sony makes a nice product? Again, Fuji isn't exactly a newcomer to photography. In any case, as someone pointed out earlier, financials don't lie. Olympus went from a 250 million loss 2 years ago and trimmed that to 27 million in the last year. They're gross margins were good and simply need to find a way to get spending and debt under control. Olympus also has several other profitable dviisions within the company to keep it afloat until that corner is turned. Nikon who has been seeing a diminishing profit the last 2 years is in a precarious position as well...the last two quarters their net profit was in the red. The only thing that is certain is that it is unlikely that all of them will continue to survive without being bought out. It may be that Olympus folds shop, who knows. More than likely mergers will form with product lines sold to stave off creditors. BTW, Sony due to their deep pockets and nice products might end up king of the hill.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Um, while I really like focus peaking for my legacy glass, I do think it's fairly niche as features go. Not something 90% of camera buyers (who only use AF) will ever use or want.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And not something that would be easy to put into a DSLR, at least not through the optical VF.

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  10. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Really? You never shot film then. Film is dead perhaps. Many of us who shot it are not.

I love Velvia and Reala and brand loyalty/trust/recognition certainly figured into my purchase of a Fuji Digital.

Anyway, the Fujifilm FinePix MX-700 was the first camera of the FinePix series, and was released in 1998. The S1 Pro arrived in 2000 I think.

Going back just a little in history, Fuji Photo Film, today Fujifilm. was founded in 1934 and became the number two imaging company behind Kodak with a strong market leadership in its home market in Japan.

Their entry into this segment is hardly anything new.

woof!

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    And a little more from T.O.P. with guest post By Thom:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...14/01/olympus-disappearing-thom-responds.html

This is more fun than tennis, my neck doesn't get sore from watching things get batted back and forth :biggrin:.

I dunno about Oly going permanently off line but I do know that my new flash bracket came in yesterday and with a little judicious use of the bench grinder I think I can improve upon the design so Oly's demise will just have to wait. I've got photographic hobby stuff to do :wink:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Your a real piece of work figures being from "Canada" who cares about your opinion of Americans. I don't care if I'm banned from here or not I'm tired of hearing all of babilng on and on who cares,bye !!!!!!!!!!!

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Please come back when you have a thoughtful contribution, eh? :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.