New Recruit

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by kentomas, Jul 9, 2012.

1. kentomas

kentomas New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2012
    It should be reasonably easy to work out from my user name that I am called Ken Thomas. Im 69 years of age, widowed and live in Stourbridge in the UK. My first digital SLR was an E-10 and from their I moved onto Four Thirds - accumulating a variety of bodies and some lovely glass. I've been looking at the EM-5 for quite a while and a week ago started watching a virtually new silver version on eBay. Their were very few bids so I kept this close to my chest and hoped not many were watching. Needless to say I won it this morning and as the seller was 20 miles away rushed over to collect it. It came with the 12-50mm f/3.6-6.3 and an HLD-6 all in perfect condition and boxed. I only checked the number of shutter actuations after I played with for most of the afternoon, at which time it was 1608. Looking at the bidding on eBay after the auction I found that my bid of UKĀ£1000.01 had beaten the underbidder by just that one penny!! So if there is such a thing as a happy bunny, I am one.

I've been playing cameras since I was 14 and for some years in the late 60s and early 70s worked in photographic retail. Amongst the cameras I've owned over the years (in chronological order as much as by old brain will allow) are an Halina A!; Interplan A; Zenit-C (very early one with all legends in cyrillic script); Miranda DR; Leica IIIb & Reid IIIa; a pair of Nikkormat FT2s (one black & one chrome). I started digital with a Ricoh RDC-5300 before selling three of the kids to finance the E-10 with a power grip!!

I'm really looking forward to using the EM-5 and am hoping that I'm not too disappointed with focusing speed on my Four Thirds glass - I have some wonderful lenses that I'd hate to part with. In reality I'll just keep my E-3 as a second body if necessary.

Anyway, it's nice to join your community. Regards to all Ken.
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congratulations on the auction win and welcome to the user group, Ken!
  3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    This is a great forum, Ken, and if you're anything like me, you'll love the E-M5. Just have patience until you have it set up the way you want and you can put the menus behind you.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Congrats on the E-M5 and welcome Ken...this is a wonderful community and there's always someone ready to help out.
  5. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Welcome OLD man.. you will love it here..
    Doug - Boise, Idaho, USA
  6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Welcome to the gang, you might be a little old for hazing, lol