New quantum flash gear for MFT(via the Phoblographer)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ccunningham, Mar 4, 2013.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    • Like Like x 3
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting! :cool:

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Oh crap. Had an attack of gas.

Gordon

4. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    If you are reading this thread, but didn't follow through to the video and watch it, the short of it is - REALLY fancy accessory flash system for the m4/3 system. And by fancy, I mean a serious, technically sophisticated flash system.
    So if you need high-end, wireless, ttl metered, trim controls for the flash power for different channels, high speed sync(1/500th in the video) flash for Lumix GH3 or G5 (and I think it might work with Olympus as well) this seems pretty brilliant. For location lighting, or studio use, this looks like it would be ideal.

The downside is - Quantum is premium, pro-level quality kit, and their prices reflect that. It's not $50 (or less) for flash unit, like some of the Strobist gear you might buy. People are going to complain they can't afford it, and since they can't afford it no one needs it, and therefore no one should buy it.
    Personally, I'm not upset that it's not cheap, but I am aware it's out of my budget range. But I'm glad to see them make it and I hope they sell plenty of it.

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Yes, very exciting stuff! As stated, this particular wireless TTL solution for m4/3 won't come cheap. Although these aren't available yet for m4/3, it looks like they will be available soon and -- based on current Quantum pricing -- you're probably going to pay the following:

-- $200 for the Quantum CoPilot controller (the device that fits in the camera's hot shoe and transmits the wireless TTL radio signal).

-- $200 per Quantum FreeXwire Receiver (connects to the Qflash and receives the signal from the controller ... you'll need one per flash unit).

-- $650 to $950 per Quantum "Qflash" Trio flash unit (you'll need at least one ... more if you want a multi-light setup with wireless TTL.

-- $50 per battery cable (every flash unit requires a battery cable to connect to its own battery pack

-- $600-$650 per battery pack (one for each flash unit)

Estimated price for a one-flash setup: $1700+ ... probably closer to $2,000 when these first hit the market.

I'm VERY happy to see these but I doubt most m4/3 users will be dropping the coin for this setup.

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    There are going to be people shooting with these if their job is on the line. I'm just excited that Quantum is adopting m4/3. That means their competition may also do the same.

I'm sure Panasonic TTL is the same as Olympus TTL. Can someone tell me otherwise?

7. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Cool. Probably will be a good options for some pros

8. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    No doubt it's pricey, but most gear at the same level is. It's nice to see it available, and if you need it, you need it. Now you don't have to switch brands to get some sweet studio/location type strobe equipment. Don't get me wrong, I like my FL-36Rs, I like my yong-nuo and neewer flashes, but the Quantum system offers a solution that's well beyond that, hence the price.

Now as far as I know, (and I'm not an expert on the Olympus and Panasonic TTL systems,) from what I've read the camera-flash hot-shoe interface is either the same, or pretty much the same. If you're planning to purchase a Quantum outfit for anything but the GH3 or G5 (they're explicitly listed as compatible in the video,) you should probably check with Quantum for compatibility.

Still, this makes the GH3 more and more a pro-level solution for video AND stills. Wish I could add a GH3 to my bag, but I can't see trading my perfectly good E-M5 for it. There's just a lot of slick features on the GH3 that I like, but I'm not photographing for money. It was hard enough to justify buying the E-M5 for my hobby.

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Panasonic licence the flash system from Olympus, so there shouldn't be any issues. It's more a problem if Quantum have managed to reverse engineer the protocols properly. That's the problem Pocket Wizard had with the TT5 and TT1 controllers. If Quantum did licence the protocols then there'd be no issue because Olympus would give them the specs, but third party suppliers are know for trying to save a buck.

But if it works I'll be in. Even at the prices mentioned above I've paid more than that for a single studio head versus a 3 head quantum kit. Even if I had to buy a GH3 to do it. Great light is the foundation of studio photography as far as I'm concerned and it's more important than any camera or lens.

gordon

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is fantastic news! Personally, I won't be spending the bucks for it because I don't really have a need for TTL flash. I work better in manual. However, there are definite advantages to radio over optical so for those who do rely on TTL this is doubtless a better alternative. Great to see!

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Quantum still has not finalized the Panasonic controller. And there could be issues between the Panasonic and Olympus as there was and is between the Olympus E-3 and later 4/3 models. All Olympus had to do was send them a sample camera - which they didn't do.

I doubt Quantum will vouch for Olympus being compatible unless Olympus does provide Quantum some gear for testing.

BTW - 1 qFlash set would be less than $1200 at current pricing. If you can find the gear, buying used is a good way to go if you choose to.

12. CaptZoom

CaptZoom Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    This is fantastic news, especially for event photographers. Imagine shooting a wedding with remote TTL support for multiple flash units (something previously enjoyed only by Nikon and Canon users). In fact this support was a compelling reason to stick with Nikon/Canon, and now (or soon will be) m4/3 is a viable option for working photographers. You should very easily be able to justify the cost of the system if you do event photography (weddings, etc). Not only does have tax benefits, but you should be able to recover the costs in having more time available to get more commissions (ie less time spent on post processing). I really wish Leica had similar support, but that's probably not going to happen in the near future.

I would argue this is far more useful in a dynamic environment (event photography) than it is in a static environment (studio), and a great help in both. The studio offers the comfort of time; an event does not. I wouldn't refuse it in either setting (though I don't think my Einsteins are gonna be replaced any time soon in a controlled environment-but that's an entirely different thread).

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    This will advance Micro 4/3 further into the professional realm.

14. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Me too. But this looks too good to pass up. :)

15. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    So am I right in thinking that if you are off camera it doesn't matter which flash you get, canon, Nikon, etc... The only thing that would need to be m4/3 compatible is the copilot?

16. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If using a Quantum transmitter then Quantum qFlashes (Tro or T5d-R) are required for TTL (which quantum typically calls qTTL). Their gear can naturally be used in manual, but for all lights that means all manual. Except...

Quantum does have adpaters for Nikon and Canon lights, you need one for each light along with one of Quntums FreeXwire FW8R and a Quantum FreeXwire QqLink - normally about $320 for each light! But we'll have to see if they make a QLink for Panasonic.