1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Pureview on the block...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by agentlossing, Dec 17, 2013.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I had to upgrade from my Lumia 920 (itself a very good phone, but a bizarre charging short of some kind occurred), which itself has a very good camera. No, I didn't go for the 41-megapixel 1020... I almost did (still might) but the (huge) 1520 caught my eye.

It's a phablet (hate the designation, but since that's the only word we have for it...), albeit one with a 1080p IPS screen, a 20-megapixel optically-stabilized camera, and a really fast Snapdragon 800 processor. I've had it for a week, and life hasn't allowed me to do much with the camera yet, but I'm eager to get there.

The 1520 is the first of Nokia's phones to have RAW (DNG) shooting. I can't wait to get my hands on some files with LR, in fact that's the biggest determiner of whether I'll keep this phone. I want to see how much color latitude there is, as well as whether the DNG files have any noise reduction softening, or are truly undoctored.

The camera has a slightly slow aperture for a Pureview (f/2.4 vs. f/2.2 on my 920, and f/2 on the 1020), but still allows you to set ISO, shutter and EV manually through the excellent Nokia Camera app that is a condensed and finally baked-in set of all the "pro" camera abilities from earlier iterations. ISO 100 images seem to be astoundingly clean from reviewing them on the phone, and have that smoothness that we're used to with a nice (real) ISO 100 camera (which I sort of miss with Panasonic's base-200 ISO sensors). But as to whether that's partially due to NR, well, hopefully the DNG files will tell me.