New printer and subsquent framing options

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
Hey all,

First off I apologize in advance because this is post turns off topic from actual printing and more towards audio acoustics. But I'm looking to make an investment in a printer in general and just want to get some feedback to see if I feel like it's worthwhile.

I'm most likely going to go with the Pro 9000 or 9500 mk II. I've seen print results from G.A.'s 9500 and they look fantastic. The superior (B&W) abilities intrigue me about the 9500, but the 9000 can be had for under $200 brand new locally. Haven't looked into the epsons, but not really sure that I even care enough to widen the search unless I can find a killer deal.

So I'm planning on doing a variety of sizes of prints. Currently I just use a PIXMA MX882, which actually does a pretty decent job of 8x10/11.5 pictures, I've done a number and am quite satisfied. I'd like to do larger prints though and up the quality a bit.

Some I'll frame in glass based frames for rooms in the house. But the more important thing I'm trying to do is do some canvas or non-reflective type material for my living room. For me this is actually an acoustic reflection reason, as I'm a die-hard 2-channel audio guy and want to dampen the room down as much as possible with a high amount of WAF (wife approval factor). I read some old threads where it sounds like people are doing this, but can anyone give me some more info or ideas about this. There are canvas deals out there all the time so it might just be more feasible for that room to do prints that way. Overall I'd like to do my own prints not for cost reasons but to be in charge of the creative process from start to finish.

My general idea would be to do deep frames (1-1/2-2 inches?) and then put sound deadening foam or material behind that. Audiophile stores have a lot of these types of things but they are always just fabric and look pretty tacky, especially with their $100k 2 channel systems.

M

MikeR_GF1

I read some old threads where it sounds like people are doing this, but can anyone give me some more info or ideas about this.
Not to get technical and in over my head, but I think the main idea is to avoid "symmetry" in placement. A lot of the bad acoustic effects are from sound waves bouncing back and forth between parallel hard surfaces (walls), so you put stuff up that will foil their evil intentions.:smile:

Curtains, drapes, rugs, and furniture all help.

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
Not to get technical and in over my head, but I think the main idea is to avoid "symmetry" in placement. A lot of the bad acoustic effects are from sound waves bouncing back and forth between parallel hard surfaces (walls), so you put stuff up that will foil their evil intentions.:smile:

Curtains, drapes, rugs, and furniture all help.

Not sure exactly what you mean by symmetry in placement? Placement of reflective surfaces? Honestly, I'm dealing with a very non acoustically friendly room, most of which I can do nothing about. Dampening the side walls (or the ceiling ;) ) is really the only option I have at this point.

I was hoping a printer like the 9000/9500 could be able to do some non-paper material prints and then create panels from this.. I suppose I should do some more intensive research, just didn't want to bump up a thread that was talking about the subject on here two years ago. I know I can order just straight canvas material prints if all else fails.

Paul Amyes

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul Amyes
I have a 9000 and one of the great things about is that it can accept a wide variety of media. You certainly can print on canvas. If you want to make an acoustic baffle using the print as a facing then it would be possible to have them mounted using something like this:

Giclee Media Supplies :: Framing Systems :: iBlock Frames

Some of the heavy weight matt art papers such as Hahnemule German Etching would also probably work well for this as well.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Joe, since you're in SoCal so often, feel free to make a print or two. (Just don't take any caterpillars with you.)

Gary

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
I have a 9000 and one of the great things about is that it can accept a wide variety of media. You certainly can print on canvas. If you want to make an acoustic baffle using the print as a facing then it would be possible to have them mounted using something like this:

Giclee Media Supplies :: Framing Systems :: iBlock Frames

Some of the heavy weight matt art papers such as Hahnemule German Etching would also probably work well for this as well.

Awesome thanks a lot for the info there!

Joe, since you're in SoCal so often, feel free to make a print or two. (Just don't take any caterpillars with you.)

Gary

Haha! The monarch's wouldn't like it up here. I'd love to take you up on that here soon!

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I've never thought about stuffing print canvases or frames with accoustic dampening material. I see some of the ugly accoustic panels folks use over at avsforum and I scratch my head. It might sound great but it sure doesn't look it, lol. I think its a great idea and keep us up to date on what you end up doing.

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
I've never thought about stuffing print canvases or frames with accoustic dampening material. I see some of the ugly accoustic panels folks use over at avsforum and I scratch my head. It might sound great but it sure doesn't look it, lol. I think its a great idea and keep us up to date on what you end up doing.

Yeah, I've always wanted to treat the rooms I've had. Especially this house, because of it's odd symmetry and open floor plan. The panels really do make a difference in the rooms I've heard them in but they're so fricking ugly!

I'm trying to make photography integrated into the house more. Looking at Gary's house, makes me feel like I have nothing on the wall, which is mostly true. Sure he's had many of years to fill them up but I really want more prints! :wink:

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've always wanted to treat the rooms I've had.
Do you really expect to have a significant percentage of the walls covered with prints? I used to do a little studio recording work and IMHO unless you are talking about 20%, probably more, of the total wall area you are not going to have anything beyond a placebo effect.

As far as printers, I bought a 9000 a couple of months ago and its print quality is absolutely amazing. FWIW, though, I am finding that my first buy of (Amazon) aftermarket inks is giving me undesirable color shifts. Hopefully some experimentation will result in finding good non-Canon cartridges, though. To use the OEM cartridges makes things very expensive.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
I have ... mmmh ... maybe 75% of my walls covered with prints. It is time to add more and update what I have.

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
Do you really expect to have a significant percentage of the walls covered with prints? I used to do a little studio recording work and IMHO unless you are talking about 20%, probably more, of the total wall area you are not going to have anything beyond a placebo effect.

As far as printers, I bought a 9000 a couple of months ago and its print quality is absolutely amazing. FWIW, though, I am finding that my first buy of (Amazon) aftermarket inks is giving me undesirable color shifts. Hopefully some experimentation will result in finding good non-Canon cartridges, though. To use the OEM cartridges makes things very expensive.

Not all my walls by any means, I already have a wall covered in record frames in the room I'm speaking of. But I could see wanting at least 15-20 8x10+'s from where I sit at now. I'm not in that large of a house so certainly in the future I might end up wanting some more. Who knows? :smile: Certainly I could cover over 20% of the wall I'm wanting too, the other side is half open and one side of the front area has a fireplace. Any dampening I can get at this point is a plus. The problem is making it look decent.

I've heard the cost is high, for sure. It might not be super economical, but I'd like to print beyond 8x10 with better results than I have now, and be able to control the results I'm getting at home.

Latest threads

Top Bottom