1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New prime lens, which one?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pepinto_, Jul 20, 2014.

1. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Hello all :)

I'm a happy owner of an E-M10.
    So far I think that it is an incredible camera.
    The lenses I own are the 14-42 II R (kit lens that came with the E-M10) and the Panasonic 14mm 2.5.
    I've made my decision, and in the future I'll buy the Olympus 45mm 1.8 and the 25mm 1.8.
    But due to budget constraints I can't afford both lenses in a short period of time.
    So, I'll buy one lens in the next month, and the other lens will be bought in 2015.

What lens shall I buy in first place.
    From the pictures I've been taken, probably I'll use the 25mm more than the 45mm.
    What is your opinion?
    Shall I expect any drop in the price of the 45mm (I live in Europe).

Thank you.
    Regards.

P.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The 45mm is a rather long lens. I personally would get the 25mm first. You'll get a lot of mileage out of that focal length, and it can work for portraits in a pinch.
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have both and they are both brilliant lenses, the 45 can be got for a lot less money but the 25 gets more use or has since I got it. The 25 (normal) is the ideal to me walk about prime, If I go with one lens it is the prime I would choose so to me it makes sense but the 25 was not out when I got the 45 (announced though).

4. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I love the 45 but agree that it's a bit long, 25mm might suit you well

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    If you're happy with the photos from your kit lens, why not try a focal length outside its range? There are a number of tools (some freeware) to analyse which focal lengths you use most. If it's at the short end, look at the 12mm Olympus or the 9-18 zoom; if the long end, think about the Sigma or Olympus 60mm, or the Olympus 40-150.

If you buy used - from forum members is recommended - you can resell for little or no loss. I think of that as a kind of rental fee.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    There's your answer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Galengwath

Galengwath Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    I also have both for my E-M10, and get considerably more use out of the 45. Obviously that will depend on your personal style of shooting, but since you think you'll use the 25 more, then go ahead and get it. By the way, both of them are wonderful lenses, fast and sharp, so I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    So, I'm going to play devils advocate a bit here and give an alternate perspective:
    1. Because your kit lens is slowest at the long end, the 45 will give you the biggest difference in the look it can capture
    2. The 45mm being longer than the 25mm means you can isolate subjects better with blurrier backgrounds, the focal length is also more natural for shots of people as you have to be a bit further back, which makes for a more flattering perspective, its a better portrait lens, basically.
    3. 1.8 with a longer lens like the 45 may be more helpful when shooting in low light, naturally you're going to need a faster shutter speed on the long end, so the faster aperture is even more important there. On the other hand, this is also a good argument for the 25mm being a more generally useful low light lens, as you can push the shutter speed even lower.

At the end of the day though, you should probably go with the lens that you will use the most.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    What do you want to use it for? 45mm is a bit of a specialty lens. It's great for portraits and low light events or concerts. But if you don't do much of either, then it's kind of a waste. Its role can also be fullfilled by a cheap old manual focus lens if you want to save money that way.

10. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    im in utter love with both. a simple way to put it:

if you shoot:
    indoors: 25mm
    outdoors: 45mm

things: 25mm
    people: 45mm

theyre both affordable, appear frequently on the used market, and you'll eventually get (or want to get) both so cant go wrong with either at the moment...

11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I would disagree with this. I don't shoot events, and have only used it for one portrait shot (performed admirably), but I find it a great travel prime when size/weight are considerations. I've used it for quite a bit of street photography, landscapes, even close-ups (not quite macro), etc...I find it to be a very flexible lens and a perfect travel companion, even though I don't normally like this FL!

12. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Hello!!

Thank you for your opinions.
    The Olympus 25mm 1.8 will be my next lens. Later, the 45mm will join to the party :)

Regards,

13. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Good luck, and enjoy!
    Both are great lenses and the 14-25-45 trio is a killer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Good choice!

As an aside if you were still deciding, you could use your zoom lens for a couple of days shooting at both focal lengths....that way can see how restrictive (or not as the case may be) each focal length could be for your style of photography.

15. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    That's my current lens lineup....eyeing up the 60mm macro and 75mm primes next! :eek: