New PL 25mm!?!?

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
It's very close to the 20mm f1.7... I'd rather see a 45mm f1.4 or 57mm f1.4 for portraits.

The Olympus mZD 50mm f2 could do the trick, if it's as fast to focus as the two new mZD zooms.

We live in hope!

Cheers

Brian

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A micro 4/3rds 25/1.4 might be handy for some, as would any fast prime, like 38/1.2 etc. We all have our wants.

I recently bought a Pany/Leica D 25/1.4 adapted into the format, from its native 4/3rds. Helluva thing. Big, and heavy. And brilliant.

This discussion tends to make me wonder if Panasonic are considering abandoning 4/3rds entirely. Are they still producing the Leica D series 4/3 lenses? They are very, very good. And, they don't get much play on this forum, against the backdrop chatter of legacy glass etc.

LEICA D LENS | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Bokeh Diem

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I recently bought a Pany/Leica D 25/1.4 adapted into the format, from its native 4/3rds. Helluva thing. Big, and heavy. And brilliant.
This discussion tends to make me wonder if Panasonic are considering abandoning 4/3rds entirely. Are they still producing the Leica D series 4/3 lenses? They are very, very good.

I had one of these, and you are right. its big, heavy and with amazing image quality. As can be seen, its not really a "snug fit" on m4/3.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/29782425@N08/3687051960/" title="GH1 Summilux 25mm F/1.4 by soundimageplus2, on Flickr">
3687051960_a3a078ac24.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"500" height="396" alt="GH1 Summilux 25mm F/1.4" /></a>

If the rumours are true I would think its an obvious move for Panasonic. These lenses are still available, but whether they are still making them I wouldn't know. I presume it would be relatively easy to just change the mount & they could have the lens out while working on some other fast primes. If the rumours are true and they are responding to the general desire for this type of lens, then that is very encouraging.

Like you I would wonder about their commitment to 4/3 as it seems obvious that they are putting all their energies into m4/3. Indeed the future of 4/3 in general may hinge on what Olympus do next. They obviously have a huge lens lineup to "find a home for" and the rumours about their "modular camera" are intriguing and exciting. I'd be very interested in a camera that let me use both 4/3 and m4/3 lenses, particularly If they can keep it relatively light and small but still have options for battery grips, video, interchangeable finders etc.

The D series lenses are still available. I've had a 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 for a while and have just bought the 14-150mm zoom. I posted a thread on it here:-
https://www.mu-43.com/f40/my-new-best-friend-4127/
I would have thought these are a little large for changing to m4/3 mount, but who knows? They are certainly superb lenses.

hmpws

Mu-43 Regular
I hope they are actually micro-size.. rather than simply changing the mount.

I had one of these, and you are right. its big, heavy and with amazing image quality. As can be seen, its not really a "snug fit" on m4/3.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/29782425@N08/3687051960/" title="GH1 Summilux 25mm F/1.4 by soundimageplus2, on Flickr">
3687051960_a3a078ac24.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"500" height="396" alt="GH1 Summilux 25mm F/1.4" /></a>

If the rumours are true I would think its an obvious move for Panasonic. These lenses are still available, but whether they are still making them I wouldn't know. I presume it would be relatively easy to just change the mount & they could have the lens out while working on some other fast primes. If the rumours are true and they are responding to the general desire for this type of lens, then that is very encouraging.

Like you I would wonder about their commitment to 4/3 as it seems obvious that they are putting all their energies into m4/3. Indeed the future of 4/3 in general may hinge on what Olympus do next. They obviously have a huge lens lineup to "find a home for" and the rumours about their "modular camera" are intriguing and exciting. I'd be very interested in a camera that let me use both 4/3 and m4/3 lenses, particularly If they can keep it relatively light and small but still have options for battery grips, video, interchangeable finders etc.

The D series lenses are still available. I've had a 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 for a while and have just bought the 14-150mm zoom. I posted a thread on it here:-
https://www.mu-43.com/f40/my-new-best-friend-4127/
I would have thought these are a little large for changing to m4/3 mount, but who knows? They are certainly superb lenses.

arpoador

Mu-43 Regular
san francisco ca usa &amp; rio de janeiro br
Make the whole lens smaller

I hope they are actually micro-size.. rather than simply changing the mount.

Agreed.

My understanding is that the four-thirds lenses aren't dramatically smaller than the full-size lenses for two reasons:
1) (self-inflicted) The fact that the four-thirds standard called for parallel light rays hitting the sensor, to improve digital image capture, and
2) (simple geometry) The flange depth is as important to the overall lens size (amount of glass, distance from camera, etc) as the size of the sensor.

With the micro four-thirds format, the second issue is basically resolved by creating a new flange depth that is proportionate to the smaller sensor size. That's why our new lenses can have much less glass, and be much lighter than the equivalent full frame lenses.

The original Leica D lenses were hampered by having to fit the deeper four-thirds bodies. One strategy would be simply to make them longer, effectively adding in the adapter to the length of the lens. What I hope they do, instead, is to scale down the entire lens design to match the new sensor/flange depth geometry, which would result in a really small lens, even if it has a very large maximum aperture.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Agreed.

My understanding is that the four-thirds lenses aren't dramatically smaller than the full-size lenses for two reasons:
1) (self-inflicted) The fact that the four-thirds standard called for parallel light rays hitting the sensor, to improve digital image capture, and
2) (simple geometry) The flange depth is as important to the overall lens size (amount of glass, distance from camera, etc) as the size of the sensor.

With the micro four-thirds format, the second issue is basically resolved by creating a new flange depth that is proportionate to the smaller sensor size. That's why our new lenses can have much less glass, and be much lighter than the equivalent full frame lenses.

The original Leica D lenses were hampered by having to fit the deeper four-thirds bodies. One strategy would be simply to make them longer, effectively adding in the adapter to the length of the lens. What I hope they do, instead, is to scale down the entire lens design to match the new sensor/flange depth geometry, which would result in a really small lens, even if it has a very large maximum aperture.

I would expect the 25/1.4 will be smaller it probably will have focus by wire and OIS but not for certain it may be ommited in the interests of compactness and lower cost.

If this is a joint effort with Leica and its a summilux lens configuration then center sharpness at f1.4 could be amazing.:thumbup:

Looking forward to this lens for me its high on my list.:wink::thumbup:

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Panasonic Fast Prime Rumour

From 43rumors.com....

"We are almost certain that Panasonic is working on very fast new primes (faster than f/1.4). The first prime is expected to be on market by end 2010 early 2011"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive (FT4) Panasonic will make a new 25mm MicroFourThirds lens…f/1.4 or faster!!!

As you may have already read... not trying to feed a rumour mill but, could it be a new combo for a new camera (GF2??:biggrin::mad::biggrin::confused:). Personally I would like a wide angle prime instead though.

G1 User

Mu-43 Veteran
Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive (FT4) Panasonic will make a new 25mm MicroFourThirds lens…f/1.4 or faster!!!

As you may have already read... not trying to feed a rumour mill but, could it be a new combo for a new camera (GF2??:biggrin::mad::biggrin::confused:). Personally I would like a wide angle prime instead though.

+1
I'd like a :43: 12mm f/2 as 2nd prime, (to complement the :43: 17mm), not a zoom that covers it. But, I'd could afford a :43: 12mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 most likely. :wink:

I would rather have all primes for my G1 also.

I like wides better for smaller cameras. and save the larger FL for the DSLR.

jmacpix

Mu-43 Regular
+1
I'd like a :43: 12mm f/2 as 2nd prime, (to complement the :43: 17mm), not a zoom that covers it. But, I'd could afford a :43: 12mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 most likely. :wink:

I would rather have all primes for my G1 also.

I like wides better for smaller cameras. and save the larger FL for the DSLR.

Yes please! A wide angle (14mm or wider) prime f2.8 or faster and a pancake 45mm (non-macro) are at the top of my wish list...

My ideal kit would be two GF1s a 10mm f2.8, 20mm f1.7 and a 45mm f2.8 (non-macro pancake). Not holding my breath...

ilexno3

Mu-43 Rookie
I'd settle for 12mm/2.8 and 17mm/2.

I wish for a Summilux-like 17/1.4 but I know I won't get it, nor can I afford it.

I think it's tragic with so many of us wanting prime lenses, Olympus keep coming up with s..l..o..w.. z..o..o..m..s.

Panasonic, you're our only hope now.

floppymoose

Mu-43 Regular
i will definitely buy a fixed 1.4 that autofocuses on my GF1 and is reasonably small. The speed difference between the pancake 1.7 and the nikon 50 1.4 (i put on with a converter) is useful to me, even though you might not think it would matter. I'm doing hand-held shootingt with indoor lighting at board games parties, etc. But the lack of autofocus is rough with a fast lens, so I need a real mft design.

Latest threads

Top Bottom