New photo editing software for Mac users: Affinity Photo

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Mercurio, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    There are good news for Mac users: a new photo editing software, that promises to be a challenger for Photoshop:

"Affinity Photo features numerous high-end capabilities such as Raw processing, PSD import and export, 16-bits per channel editing and ICC color management. (...) The final release has nearly all the tools needed for professional processing, including camera lens and exposure corrections, accurate adjustments, live filter layers, high-end controls for channels and masks, advanced layer handling and built-in frequency separation editing."

Affinity Photo is available exclusively from the Mac App Store for a special launch price of $39.99, which is an affordable price as an alternative to PS or LR.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

We will have to try it to discover if it keep up to the promises....

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Looks interesting. Although I have CS6 I'm always on the lookout for alternatives because Photoshop really is way too big and complicated for what I use it for. Unfortunately Affinity Photo doesn't yet have some of the features I use PS for (mostly variations of layer functions; panorama, focus stacking, super resolution etc). Also doesn't seem to support DNG which is a bummer as I convert all my ORFs to DNG in LR6. But, I'll keep an eye on this one.

Keep us updated with how it goes!

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I've been using the beta for a while and it's very good. It definitely has a learning curve to it coming from Photoshop. It covers much of the basic functionality but doesn't try to be a PS clone.

There's still some big holes when compared to PS but development is very active. There's also a pretty active forum with a lot of participation from Affinity.

Fred

4. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    As an APERTURE user - I still use it - I have been looking for different alternatives after Apple decided not to support it any more. Even though I tried LR, I don't like the "subscription" method, which implies to pay a monthly fee, that in the long term can cost a lot of money... On the other hand, Affinity Photo states in their announcements: "As you may know, we don't do subscriptions—once you buy Affinity Photo it's yours forever. PLUS we will continue working round the clock to bring you improvements and new features FOR FREE for at least the next couple of years. This is just the beginning—it's only going to get better and better."

I tried the beta, but at that moment, they didn't support my cameras - OMD-EM5 and EPM1 -, which is not the case anymore, according to their supported cameras' list:

https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4630-supported-develop-raw-cameras/

I feel it could be a good alternative to my old software, and I wanted to know what the forumers think about it.

This is the promotional video of the software:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015