New Pens?

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
If the price is higher than the cost of an E-M1 I see little reason to get it, as such I doubt that rumored price is accurate.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
The price could be close given the discounting of the E-M1 prior to the E-M1 II and the new features on the PEN.

I believe that price is higher than the E-M1 when it was released (2 years ago now?), ignoring the huge discounts currently available.

alan1972

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan Grant
I am curious about the body-only price.
I think Olympus have been fairly consistent in pricing the EZ zoom kit 200 euro above body only in Europe, for both OMD and PEN models. So if 1499 euro is the price of the EZ kit, maybe 1299 body only. Of course that assumes the rumour is right to start with.

I am not clear if the higher end of the range in the rumour is for a 2 lens kit or for a different kit option with just the O17.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hmm, PEN-F, or the cheap-o budget option of a mere A7ii or a couple of D7200s. This can't be real? Was the lesson that the E-P5 just wasn't expensive enough?

Johnny The Greek

Mu-43 Veteran
Not to bitch and moan but there better be a body-only price. Nice that the 17mm is included but the ez lens probably should have been the 12-50mm at that price point.

Nawty

Mu-43 Regular
Hmm, PEN-F, or the cheap-o budget option of a mere A7ii or a couple of D7200s. This can't be real? Was the lesson that the E-P5 just wasn't expensive enough?

The problem with the EP5 was that it was basically an OMD without a viewfinder but still chunky at the same(ish) street price so who in their right mind would buy one.

One presumes that the Pen-F will be sufficiently different to justify the premium. It needs to be pretty special (and different) not to step on the EM10ii's toes.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
At these prices the Pen F better be the temporary flag ship of µ43s' cameras (until the E-M1 mk II or GH5 come along).
Bobby :coffee-30:

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I might bite..

Right now I carry two E-M5 II's when out for a nature jaunt. One with the P100-300 and the second with my Oly 14-150. I also have a PL7 for some street & festival times.

If I could replace one of my 5 II's and the PL7 (even though I really like them both) with the new Pen F and get some extra features in the bargain, I might do that.

Nawty

Mu-43 Regular
I can see a Pen-F plus EM1ii becoming the premier combo for m4/3 - I'll certainly be lusting after them and assuming it lives up to the hopes I'll probably buy an EM1ii but the Pen-F, at that price, seems rather a lot.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I can see a Pen-F plus EM1ii becoming the premier combo for m4/3 - I'll certainly be lusting after them and assuming it lives up to the hopes I'll probably buy an EM1ii but the Pen-F, at that price, seems rather a lot.
I agree, that does seem a pretty high price for a Pen. But without knowing what this new version Pen will be, I'm not going to jump to that conclusion,
Who knows, maybe this new Pen will in fact be the New Look for Olympus with a new size (but still small) and new larger sensor, maybe some spiced up auto focus, maybe the next generation of the firmware, +,+,+. If so, I'll be having some serious camera lust.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Hmmmm - these rumoured prices sound crazy. €1500 for body plus maybe a 14-42 or 17/1.8. What? Even optimistically that puts the body-only at maybe €1200. The A7ii is about that price and both are way more than some excellent Fuji or Cannikon APSC cameras. If the body is more than €1000 then I really think it'll be a repeat of the E-P5 story. A lovely camera but initially priced too high.

alan1972

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan Grant
These prices would certainly create a huge gap in the PEN line compared to the E-PL7, even considering that the F includes a viewfinder. Maybe the idea of the "F" name is to separate this model a bit from the rest of the Pen line, rather like the way the Panasonic GX line is separate from both GM and GF.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
Hmmmm - these rumoured prices sound crazy. €1500 for body plus maybe a 14-42 or 17/1.8. What? Even optimistically that puts the body-only at maybe €1200. The A7ii is about that price and both are way more than some excellent Fuji or Cannikon APSC cameras. If the body is more than €1000 then I really think it'll be a repeat of the E-P5 story. A lovely camera but initially priced too high.
This is getting scary! Olympus must have some secret 'wow' tech in the Pen F I hope.

luck002

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Abu
This is getting scary! Olympus must have some secret 'wow' tech in the Pen F I hope.

Like..ummm..weather sealed, swivel screen, new 5 axis IS, and sensor-shift. Oh..wait..

I'm in the same line with you as an EP5 owner, I hope it wont be just another OMD-EM5 in another body design.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Like..ummm..weather sealed, swivel screen, new 5 axis IS, and sensor-shift. Oh..wait..

I'm in the same line with you as an EP5 owner, I hope it wont be just another OMD-EM5 in another body design.

I'm confused by this comment. Isn't an EM5 essentially just a EP5 with a DSLR style viewfinder on top? In which case, it stands to reason that a new Pen with EVF will be very similar to an OMD, but with a different body design (rangefinder style side mounted EVF). I'm not sure what you would expect it to be? The different body style is exactly what differentiates it from an OMD.

Last edited:

rav

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm confused by this comment. Isn't an EM5 essentially just a EP5 with a DSLR style viewfinder on top? In which case, it stands to reason that a new Pen with EVF will be very similar to an OMD, but with a different body design (EVF style viewfinder). I'm not sure what you would expect it to be? The different body style is exactly what differentiates it from an OMD.
No it will be a range finder with a evf on the side and the design will be inspired by the old pen F rangefinder style camera .

Latest threads

Top Bottom