New Pens?

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Sony A7 series starts at the same price as this camera will and has a sensor that is 4x as large.
Wrong on a couple of counts...

Sony A7 II - the current entry point Sony with IBIS is currently just under 1700 US dollars body only.. not seen a body only price.. or indeed any official price at all from Olympus

the ratio of the 4/3 sensor to the sony full frame give or take aspect ratio differences is certainly 2x not 4x

I thought you were smarter than this

K

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Oh dear - another nail in the coffin for the E-M1 Mk ii keeping the tilt screen. I played with the E-M5ii in Best Buy today and it reminded me just how much I hate these fold out screens. For shooting from the hip, they're extremely clumsy and I do that a lot with my E-M1 and 5.

heli-mech

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Andrew
Wrong on a couple of counts...

the ratio of the 4/3 sensor to the sony full frame give or take aspect ratio differences is certainly 2x not 4x

K
Actually 35mm sensors have 4x the surface area of 4/3 sensors but they do only have 2x the diagonal measurement sk I guess it depends on your view. However think about stops, 35mm gives you a 2 stop dof difference which is 4x (each stop is double/half)

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I never have, but I can shoot from the hip with my E-M5 II. How many 1/100's of a second extra does it take to get an articulating screen in position for a hip shot than it does a more more limited tilt-only screen?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I never have, but I can shoot from the hip with my E-M5 II. How many 1/100's of a second extra does it take to get an articulating screen in position for a hip shot than it does a more more limited tilt-only screen?
About a second extra actually. More importantly it takes two different motions instead of one. It also takes up more space in a crowd, and means you can't cradle the camera with the left hand for stability AND quickly do touch screen shutter.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Actually 35mm sensors have 4x the surface area of 4/3 sensors but they do only have 2x the diagonal measurement sk I guess it depends on your view. However think about stops, 35mm gives you a 2 stop dof difference which is 4x (each stop is double/half)
Andrew

I am well aware of the various mathematical arguments...I am not a newbie to all this! ...... All have their merits.

at the end of the day you choose a platform on how and why you want to take photos. I have chosen 4/3... i can get the quality, the DOF, the lowlight shooting i want for my photography.. I have Canon 5d mk2 and my partner has Leica M.. so I have a good idea of the alternatives

would more be better?.. maybe ....but i think my camera is still better than me

K

feel free to look at my photos on my flickr thats in my sig

heli-mech

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Andrew

K
Andrew

I am well aware of the various mathematical arguments...I am not a newbie to all this! ...... All have their merits.
Kevin, no disrespect intended, to be honest I was surprised you posted it but you are the one who said its "certainly" 2x not 4x which for most purposes is not correct. I am not in the least promoting 35mm as I only have mu43 and do so by choice.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
It's not a question of time. It's about how comfortable and convenient it is to use. With the screen folded out to the left, the camera becomes almost twice as wide and there's nowhere on the left to hold it properly.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I love my EP5, but one thing would push me to get this camera as a replacement. I am getting a second Gx8 as the PL 100-400mm is going on order as soon a I get payment for some Nikon Gear. While my "main lenses" will be my 12-35 & the 100-400mm for which the Gx8 has some real advantages, the images of the Pen F make me think that it will be more like the EP5 in size - but for me it must have 4k -especially at this price point. My EP5 has been a killer travel camera, and that is why I want 4K video. Video is for me the only real weakness of the EP5 and my next travel camera will have 4K video. I am going on a long photo trip to the South West in March and the Gx8 is too big. If it wasn't for the fact that the PL100-400 is a must have after selling my long Nikon lens for birding, it would be very hard to make the choice between the Pen F and another Gx8. That being said, if it has 4K next year I can see replacing the EP5 with this camera. How lucky are we to have such choices in the m43 system.

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
I'm more tilt screen shooter and I don't mind articulating screen, but hate the articulating screen on EM5 II, sometimes I need to use my nail..., that feel sucks.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Actually, I struggle to grip & open the tilt screens on both my E-M5 & E-M1 as they are a bit stiff, but when I used the E-30 (DSLR for those only familiar with Oly's M4/3's cameras) in Live View I could quickly flip out & twist the screen for above the head shots etc. (or from the hip as well). I could also see myself in a group selfie (on a tripod) with delayed shutter use. With my E-M1 I have to use my phone to wirelessly trigger it while viewing the screen on my phone for composition etc. (can still be delayed shutter).

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
With regard to the screens:-
By having a screen that is articulating you can use the Auto EVF switch much more effectively
When you have the articulating screen folded away towards the body EVF automatically switches on and off when you put your eye up to it
You never have to see or have the rear screen working during shooting
With a tilting screen the Auto Switch switches between the rear screen and the EVF - this is both distracting and uses battery life more quickly
I end up switching the Auto EVF switch off on tilting screen models so much prefer the articulating
P.S. I totally agree with the comment above about how difficult it is to pull the screen out on the EM5 ii - very difficult - very fiddly - however this is a detail design fault rather than an inherent fault with this type of screen (Panasonic screens are much easier to pull out)
I am hoping that on the PEN F Olympus have provided some sort of indent for pulling out the screen comfortably and easily without having to try to get your finger nail into such a small gap (EM5 ii)
The Articulating screen does as previously mentioned facilitate the effective use of the Touch Targetting Feature for Left Eye Users
Regards
Rob

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah the EM5II's screen is rough, I kept it folded in most of the time because it was such a pain to fold out. The little area you need to get it is hard to access and it seems to require a lot more force than it should, and is basically impossible to use with gloves.

MoonMind

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Matt
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know I'm starting to feel a bit lonely upholding this cause, but I'm still inclined to like most of the things I see. In order to get an idea of the size and bulk, I took an image of the (film) PEN FT alongside the E-PL7. I think the PEN-F will pretty much match the PEN FT for size, but will actually be a little slimmer (except for the already mentioned eyepiece of the viewfinder - I've got one for the PEN FT, too, but I don't need it even though I wear glasses).

M.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom