1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Pens?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by drd1135, Oct 12, 2015.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    A rangefinder with an EVF would be very nice. Panasonic has done very well with their GX7 and GX8 series. Let the rumors begin again! I just hope that Olympus releases either the new PEN series and/or the E-M1 II before Photokina.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Glad I read this right now. This actually means I'll let things simmer for the time being; I've been seriously contemplating getting the E-M5 II or the GX8 in the (very) near future in exchange for both my mFT bodies, but in truth, neither ticks all the relevant boxes for me, especially in terms of size/form factor - though admittedly, both get very, very close and also offer some fantastic features that go way beyond my needs ...

But what I'd really like to see is a mFT rangefinder style camera with an EVF, but considerably more compact than the GX8 - indeed with a P or PL form factor (a PL7 with a small-ish EVF - certainly no hump! - would actually be bang on for me). For that kind of EVF, I'd even forgo the tilting (touch) screen ... I know, I may be weird that way, but I do love shooting my original (film) PEN FT - *that*'s the form factor I find extremely compelling (it's a SLR with TTL metering - way smaller than a Leica M6, and no hump whatsoever).

Actually, Panasonic is almost there, twice: The LX100 is the right size - great finder, great styling, but sadly, no interchangeable lenses. The GM5 - well, it's just too small, and the mechanical and technical compromises (including the lack of I.B.I.S., but also the shutter) go too far for me, at least considering the price. Thus, I'd also take an LX100 (even a slightly bigger camera) with a lens mount - but I don't think that'll happen ...

Anyway, I have another wish for the new PEN (P) body that probably won't be fulfilled: weather sealing ... And I do hope they keep the superior shutter/I.B.I.S. of the E-M5 II in the mix.

M.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If they build upon the E-P5 with the current E-M1/E-M5II EVF to replace the pop up flash, give it a slightly beefier build, add the current firmware features of the OM-D line, keep the tilting screen, give it weather sealing, give it the ability to use the FL-LM3 flash and add a new sensor I'm in.

• Like Like x 2
  5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Really needs to be something special to compete with the nx500. Time for 28mpx, 205 point on sensor pdaf, bsi sensor, 4k video, 27fps 7mpx burst, NFC, wifi and bluetooth connectivity, charge over USB, 370 shots CIPA, 'bout the size of the PL5.

No prob right? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Ya forgot clean 6400 iso, 5 axis stab, high resolution mode, accurate film modes ala fujifilm, onboard gps, interchangeable custom grips, rgbw styled sensor for greater DR, iso and shutter speed dials on top of the camera, etc, etc , etc :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    None of that stuff. 5 axis IBIS, electronic shutter, EVF, something Olympus calls video, rampant Olympus fandom, and stunning retro looks in black and dull finish metal. A more expensive WR model. I'm even kidding a little bit. :biggrin:

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Well, the other stuff I mentioned just matches what Samsung did, so yeah, IBIS and an EVF would be a good value add from Olympus :D

Oh and, can't forgot, room to push it down to $600us on sale within 3 months of launch, with the kit lens :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I'd bite on what I thought was coming...PM1 came out with the PL3 where the PL3 had the flippy screen. PM2 and PL5 had the same differences. PL7 came out but there was no PM3 to match. It would have been perfect for me because not only was the shutter shock solved with electronic first curtain, but you get 3-axis to boot! (as opposed to useless 2-axis). So, I'm not in the need some something "new," I'm just looking for what I've always been expecting! Panasonic stole my business from Olympus because of this: the GM1 is a better camera than the PM2 with the main difference being EFCS. Due to this, will I buy a 45? Nope, it's the 42/1.7 for me! Will I keep my 40-150? Well, the 35-100 sure would work better with that IS!

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    :) ... but then aside from the lack of a hump, you'd have an E-M10.

11. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Not really. They'd be different enough to warrant having both in the Olympus lineup.

- EVF located to the left versus in the center which allows shooting with both eyes open more easily.
    - The E-M10 isn't weather sealed.
    - The E-M10 can't use the FL-LM3 flash which I love carrying around with me and using due to it's small size and it's ability to rotate and tilt.

I just think that such a camera would be a nice compliment to my E-M5 Mk.II.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
  13. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    • Like Like x 1
  14. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    It sounds like your second paragraph is kind of describing the gx7. I know it's bigger than the lx100, but I don't think by much. EVF is small, but high res and no hump. Good IBIS, plenty of features. I think it actually takes slightly better pictures than my em5ii. Any reason that camera didn't interest you?

15. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Oh, it did interest me - in fact, it still does, in a way, as a sort of benchmark, and it's very possible that I end up getting a GX7 instead of one of those proposed new PENs. But the GX7 handles quite differently from the PENs, for better and worse. I prefer the PENs, even though they miss the EVF I'm so fond of on the E-M10 (and LX100).

M.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I sympathize but Panasonic obviously disagrees. That and the lousy Pen sales indicate to me that the lack of EVF is hurting the Pen line. They'll still have the E-PL7, after all, for those that want smaller size and the built in flash. I think it's a good move to have at least one pen body with a built-in EVF. Given the demographic of folks who are willing to spend money on a camera like this, i.e, a bit older, I suspect than many of them want an EVF with diopter correction because use of an LCD alone might require reading glasses.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The E-PL7 hasn't got the built-in flash - but it's got a hot shoe, and if the new PENs support the flash that comes with the E-M5 II, I'm actually all for it because that unit is much more useful than most built-in ones (it reminds me of the flash I got with the Nikon 1 V1 - not a powerhouse, but turnable and tiltable, very practical).

It may sound strange to some, but I just want the PEN handling/user experience with at least the E-M10's EVF experience, though I'd actually rather have it in P* than a PL* in terms of body size and features - size (or lack thereof) isn't everything, usability comes first. As indicated above, the GX7 comes very close to what I'd like to have, but I don't like the EVF implementation much (why tiltable - plus the protruding eye-piece and slightly laggy panel), and the I.B.I.S. is two generations behind what Olympus is offering (that said, they've almost caught up with the GX8's version apparently - at least to the standards of the E-M1). As it happens, both features and their implementation matter to me - a lot. And since the latest generation of PENs (i.e. the E-P5 and the E-PL7) sit so nicely in the hand I'd prefer that gestalt instead of the slightly bulkier (though still very comfortable) GX7. It's mostly a matter of taste, of course.

M.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  19. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    If it includes 4k video, I'd be honor-bound to seriously consider it, and I could sell my existing PEN.