New Pens will prioritize Panny Lens IS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 17, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    From DPR:

"Lens IS priority

Another addition to both cameras, to help them work more happily with Panasonic's range of stabilized lenses for the Micro Four Thirds system is new 'Lens IS Priority' option in the menus (which is set to 'on' by default). It means the cameras will make use of the lens' stabilization system, rather than using their in-body systems when available."

Sorry, I posted this in another thread, but for some, this is an important item, so I'm posting a highlight thread.

Odd -- not that much chatter for the Pens.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    That's a nice improvement.
    They also have a smaller AF point that can be selected. Not sure if this is the same as the zoomable AF point on the E-M5.
    In addition, they have an automatic HDR function, that will merge exposures automatically. This is new, isn't it?
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I wonder if it's user configurable, so you can turn off the OIS and use IBIS instead (for lenses without an OIS switch). I also wonder if this means Oly thinks OIS works better on those lenses, or if they didn't want to try to control the lens based IS from the camera (which couldn't really be that hard).
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    It says it is configurable.

Here's my guess, based on what I read, but I could be wrong: You set it to lens IS priority "on" and if the lens has IS, it will default to the lens IS. My question is: if I mount say the P100-300 which has an IS SWITCH, does it know if that switch is on or off?

For every Oly body EXCEPT the OMD, I think lens IS would be better. It would stabilize the viewfinder, and likely work better at longer focal lengths. The OMD's 5 axis IBIS does not need the lens IS.

For some Panny IS lenses, that don't have an IS switch, this saves you from having to fumble to turn IBIS on or off and, I'm assuming, would therefore use the Panny IS (say the 14-42 variants or the 45-175)
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I really like this feature. I prefer the lens OIS on my 100-300mm and this would make it automatic. Sweet feature! :thumbup:
  6. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I wonder if they will also enable use of Panny's CA correction data. Here's hoping.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    I read about that feature and it caught my eye. I think, particularly for video, it is a great feature. I also have a G3 with kit lens and I can see that as useful.
  8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I'm thinking they did this so the PM2 will have some IS, at least when used with IS lenses. :wink:

While this is nice, and welcome, I do hope they actually fix the IBIS on the Mini line so it's up to par with the other PENs, if not the 5-axis deluxe version in the OM-D.
  9. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Just a quick heads up... either system stabilizes the EVF... But I agree that Oly's system is better, esp vs older Lens IS from Panny.
  10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I hope Oly will provide a firmware update to E-PM1. I use 45-175 frequently and would love to have an option to use OIS. Also the upcoming Panasonic 45-150 zoom destined to become the most popular m43 telephoto (price, size & quality) has no OIS switch.
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    For Oly, only the OM-D IBIS stabilizes the EVF. the IBIS in Pens does not. It starts just before the moment of exposure.
  12. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    You are correct...I just checked again. I really don't know why I thought I confirmed that the Panny lens IS did stabilize the EVF on a 1/2 press...but I was mistaken...