1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New PEN F user from Holland

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Cyrus, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Cyrus

Cyrus New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2016
    Netherlands
    Edwin van Laar
    Hi,

I'm Edwin, living close to Amsterdam - The Netherlands. In July 2016 I bought myself a PEN F (silver/black) with M.Zuiko 17/1.8, M.Zuiko 25/1.8 and M.Zuiko 45/1.8 to replace my Fuji X100s.

The versatility of the PEN F combined with it's compact form is perfect for me: I'm carrying the PEN F in my bag every day and it's ideal for street shooting (which I do most of the time).

Next to the PEN F I'm using a Sony mirrorless system based on the Sony A7II and a couple of native FE mount lenses. These two camera's will live happily together, since they complement each other perfectly the way I use them.

I hope to learn a lot about the M43 system, view photos of others and of course to share my own photos.

• Like Like x 2
  2. lifeinphotos

lifeinphotos Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2015
    Dave
    How does it compare to your x100s?

• Like Like x 1
  3. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Edwin,
    I just did the same thing.
    I just got PEN-F and 25/1.8 for everyday/walkaround system.
    I do mostly portraits with Sony system A7RII + Batis 85/CZ 55, and I hope to see the 2 systems are complimenting each other.
    Please share your experience how PEN-F vs. X100

• Like Like x 1
  4. LucDeSchepper

LucDeSchepper Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2014
    Netherlands
    Luc de Schepper
    Welcome Edwin, looking forward to your PEN user experience and images!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cyrus

Cyrus New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2016
    Netherlands
    Edwin van Laar
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Re. the X100s:
    I believe it's a wonderful camera. Excellent travel companion and great street camera. JPEG quality is great too. However, the X-Trans sensor is still a bridge to far for Adobe when it comes to RAW development, which I shoot 95% of the time.

Most limiting however was the fixed focal length of the Fuji. For street shots, I'd just take the PEN F with the 17mm only, since this lens and the Fuji's 23mm lens both correspond to a 35mm angle of view full frame, which I like most. However, fot other subjects, the ability to switch focal lengths was something I really missed when using the X100s.

While Fuji has a reputation for JPEG-quality (which never disappointed me) the PEN F takes it to the next level, not only the IQ itself but also the ability to tweak color profiles to the finest detail, including classic color filters for monochrome have surprised me in a very positive way.

In essence: the X100s is a great camera that never really disappointed me but the PEN F's flexibility suits me much, much better. The better IQ of the PEN F made it worth the upgrade too, of course :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. lifeinphotos

lifeinphotos Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2015
    Dave
    I'm thinking of selling my x100t and replacing it with the Pen F

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2016
    Netherlands
    Edwin van Laar
    It's hard to decide for someone else but if you experience the same practical limitations with the fixed focal length as I did, I guess that switch will make you happy.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Welkom, and have fun!

I'm also dual system, the Sony and Oly complement each other very well.

• Like Like x 1