New PEN-EPL1 owner and budding M43 enthusiast...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by kidrussell, Oct 14, 2013.

1. kidrussell

kidrussell Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Chagrin Falls, OH
    Chris
    I am very new to the world of interchangable lens photography. I have been watching this site for awhile, and it seems like a great place to get information and equipment.

I have the M. Zuiko 14-42 lens, and I am looking at a 40-150 zoom and a pancake prime (17mm f2.8, I'm on a budget) for my first two lens purchases. I tend to take a lot of pictures on hikes, and love to photographic nature.

I look forward to making my way from the IAUTO setting into the manual photography realm, and to the advice and information I will get from all of you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'd recommend the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 rather than the Olympus 17mm f2.8 for similar money. Either the Olympus 40-150 or the Panasonic 45-150 would be a good longer zoom for you. There are currently deals to be had on the Panasonic that makes it just as cheap as the Olympus - which could be useful if you ever move to a Panasonic body, you'll be glad to have a telephoto lens that has built-in Image Stabilization.

3. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Exiled From Hyperborea
    Hi. I have very similar kit. I got a real bargain on an EPL1 and 14-42 zoom, then scored a great price on the 40-150, but I've yet to use the potential of that. I've also got the 15mm f8 lens for carrying around, but hope to upgrade to a 17mm f2.8 maybe next month.

Wish list includes a VF4 as well, and (if I'm honest) an EP5 body, but I need to get there one step at a time. I'm allowing myself one toy a month (though the body's going to take longer to save for). I am amazed by people on photo fora who almost treat cameras as disposable, replacing them every year or so. I simply can't afford that myself, and it sounds like you're in the same position.

Anyway, kidrussell, I'm keen to see your photos up here soon, and we can show everyone what the EPL1 is still capable of!

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Having used both, I'd also recommend getting the Panasonic 14mm over the Oly 17mm f/2.8 too -- the quality is a bit better and you can get both used around the same price.

The Sigma primes are all great deals as well, though not pancake lenses. If you aren't set on a pancake I'd pick one of them.

5. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I would personally go with the Sigmas, I have both and use them on my G3 and my EPL2 and they are fabulous lenses. Great price too. Plus you get cases and in the case of the 19mm a lens hood. Very sharp.

6. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Welcome to the world of Micro Four Thirds. I also like to go hiking with my EPL1 and the 40-150 lens - for such a cheap combination they have given me a a great deal of enjoyment. I have the Olympus 40-150 which I was able to get much cheaper than Panasonic at the time I was looking, but that may have changed. I thought I would only use the telephoto from time to time for specific scenes, but in fact I have surprised myself with how much that lens stays on my camera when I am out hiking - the fact that it weighs almost nothing certainly helps.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The Panasonic 14mm and the Sigma 30mm makes a nice 2-prime set, for only around $300. If you just get one prime lens, the Sigma 19mm is a bargain for the quality.

8. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I purchased the Panasonic 14/2.5 and Sigma 30/2.8 while I had the EPL-1, but honestly, when I had an EPL-1, the biggest upgrade was an external viewfinder.

The EPL-1 screen is small (relative to other m4/3 cameras) and VERY difficult to see in the sun.

Since you're outside most of the time, any prime lens you purchase would be redundant with the focal lengths that your kit lens provides. If you're just starting out, I'd use the kit lens constantly and figure out the focal length that you use most frequently before jumping into a prime lens.

Also, since you want to take pictures of nature while on your hikes, I can only assume that you're hiking during the day. Taking pictures with the EPL-1 LCD in direct sunlight was a lesson in frustration. To remedy the situation, I purchased the VF-2.

I have since sold my EPL-1 and VF-2 but have acquired the VF-3 for my EPM1...and honestly, for framing and exposure, the VF-3 is 100% as good as the VF-2, with the benefit of a locking mechanism so it won't accidentally slip out of the hotshoe.

Coincidentally...my VF-3 is for sale.

In any case, good luck with your 'journey' with m4/3. If anything, it will get you outside more. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Maybe it's OK for framing, but if you actually compose the image with the viewfinder, the poor quality of the VF-3 display (the scan lines are quite visible) will be quite distracting. The VF-2 is FAR superior. Claiming that the VF-3 is 100% as good as the VF-2 is simply misleading. It's cheap for a reason

10. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I used both side by side at one point with the EPL1 and my preference would be for the VF-3. When in a brightly lit situation, if I had the choice between not seeing the LCD versus using an EVF for framing and composition...then I'd go with the latter. I also found that having a locking mechanism really alleviated the pucker factor when the EVF was mounted. The fact that it's considerably cheaper also allows extra funds for a lens.

Anyway, I don't mean to mislead anyone here. I was an EPL1 owner before and the weakest point of that camera is the 2.5" LCD. Whichever the OP chooses is their decision. It sounds like the OP is leaning towards a prime lens, which, in my opinion, may not be the best first purchase for the EPL1.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well you are probably the only person on the entire planet who thinks that the VF-3 is better than the VF-2. If it's so great, why are you selling yours? I sold mine, but I sold mine because it wasn't anywhere near as good as the VF-2 that I had.

That being said, I won't disagree with your first premise that the user of an E-PL1 who is mainly shooting out doors might benefit from an EVF, even more so than a prime lens inside the range of the existing kit lens.

12. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I'm selling mine because the EPM1 isn't my primary body anymore and I found that the newer LCD's didn't wash out the same as the EPL1.

I'd keep it if it works on the GF1, but alas, it doesn't - was never meant to. My barbaric hands and inability to re-engineer hardware are unfortunate.

My planet is pretty awesome. On my planet, my opinion is merely opinion and people can determine if what I say is the 'truth' or just opinion and if they disagree, then they can just move on. But then again, I'm the only one on my planet...

It's all good man. It's Monday.

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    We probably crossed posts before I made an addition to my prior one - I don't take issue with the general benefit of an EVF. It just looked to me that you were selling too hard.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum, Kidrussell!

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1