New Pen - Details?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrisnewhall, Jan 31, 2013.

1. chrisnewhall

chrisnewhall New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2013
    Washington
    Chris
    Anyone have any details on the new Pen other than a picture of blue velvet?

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    There might be info over at 43rumors.com

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    From what I read it's basically an update to E-P3. I'll take a wild guess and assume it'll be the E-M5 sensor, EVF, and same 2-axis IBIS as the other PENs.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The blue velvet picture is a macro of the inside of the camera box around the sensor. It has new velvet lining to absorb any scattered light so that the sensor performs with 500% better efficiency than the previous sensor in the old camera box.

There is also a new Art Filter added.

The name of the new Pen will be "E-P5".

• Like Like x 1
  5. chrisnewhall

Jan 31, 2013
    Washington
    Chris
    I hope, since it will be a higher end pen, and to set it apart from the EPL5, they give it the 5-axis IBIS.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's a chance of that. The E-P3 kept the old shutter and IBIS system of previous Pens because of its larger body, whereas these elements had to be revamped to downsize it into the new Mini and Lite bodies. On the other hand, I believe the "prism box" is used as part of the housing for the 5-axis IBIS on the E-M5. Therefore, it's safe to conclude that it MIGHT not fit in a Pen-styled body, or perhaps they will reduce it to fewer axis or something.

At any rate, we can expect (by habit of Olympus) for them to give us the best system that they can squeeze into that space, and Oly engineers are masters at reducing size (which is why I believe Olympus is still the only mirrorless manufacturer with IBIS, even though Sony had the first IBIS system in DSLRs).

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Sony cheated a bit and bought their way into it :p

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    If the EP5 does have a built in EVF, it'll likely sell like hotcakes.

Anyone care to guess what lens(es) will be available as kit lens options for the EP5? It'd be nice if Oly bundles the 17/1.8. Or make a high end std zoom to bundle.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 17mm 2.8 II R with new barrel to match the cosmetic changes of other lenses! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrisnewhall

Jan 31, 2013
    Washington
    Chris
    I sure hope they make a 17/1.8 kit! It wouldn't surprise me if it was weather-sealed and they had a 12-50 kit as an option either.

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'm surprised Oly didn't do that instead of releasing the 17/1.8!! Give us two to three versions of the same lens.

12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'd speculate the same. If that ends up the case, I'll likely go the EM-5 route unless the new camera really appeals to me on looks.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I might be interested in it if it doesn't have an EVF, in fact. Thats the reason I love my E-P1. Two control wheels and a small form factor. As much as I like my E-PL2, I can't wait to get an E-PX with the E-M5 sensor.

14. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Haj
    If they can basically squeeze an E-M5 into a Pen body (EVF, E-M5 or better sensor, 5-axis IBIS, touchscreen focus/shooting), I'd seriously consider it. Assuming, of course, it offers decent external controls like E-M5 - and looking at buttons/wheels on E-P3, they should be able to do that.

15. chrisnewhall

Jan 31, 2013
    Washington
    Chris
    EPL5 not quite there for ya'?

Sorry, that was at Djarum.

16. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    My guess: Slightly larger body than EPL-5, EM-5 sensor, RF style EVF, No 5 axis IS, Flippy screen, wifi features, focus peaking - $799 body only

17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's not cheating. Remember the sensor that makes the E-M5 and the newest Olympus cameras so desirable is a Sony sensor.

18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    It would be nice, but I just can't see that being the camera they release. It would kill the market for the E-M5 (unless you require weather-sealing) assuming the EVF is new and improved.

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    No. I have an E-PL2, and I sorely miss the verticle thumbdial of my E-P1. However, the E-PL2 has a little fatter grip and its a little lighter and smaller. The E-P3 Body for me is fine as it is, but the sensor wasn't an upgrade. Obviously the E-PL5 has the sensor upgrade, but it doesn't have the verticle thumbwheel.

20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Assuming it has the newer sensor, the ergonomics are fine and has a good degree of manual controls....and provided this is all packaged with an inbuilt EVF, I will STRONGLY consider it. To be fair, ANY m43 camera that fits the above bill...Olympus or Panasonic...will get serious consideration from me. In fact, if it comes down to a choice between articulating screen OR an EVF...I would gladly sacrifice the tilty screen...perhaps an easier choice for myself because I would still keep my E-M5.

I still think Panasonic committed an epic fail by not making the GX1 an EVF equipped spiritual successor to the GF1, and now I suspect Olympus will beat them to the punch. No bother to me...I happily reside in both camps.

I think I am but 1 of many who would dearly love and m43 copycat of the Fuji X-E1.

• Like Like x 2