New Peak Design Strap

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I made my own hand strap so that I always have a safe grip on the camera without having to grip it tightly.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I inquired of Peak Design if they would keep the all plastic, lighter weight version, and they said no.

Pity.

Sometimes trying to make something better for the sake of "redesign" takes away the very properties that made the device practical to start with.

lwojo

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Lauren
I always take my peakdesign straps off before putting in my bag, they fit better in my bag anyway. So no worry about scratches.

I had the previous version (all plastic) for my E-M10.
I decided to buy the new one for my E-M5 mkIII.
It's prettier but I'm not totally convinced yet. Metal parts... and not as comfortable as the old one.
I'll try it a little bit, but I may switch the straps between E-M5 and 10.
I always extend the leash at the maximum length so the fact that it's much easier to adjust it is not a big improvement to me.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm not seeing the value of peakdesigns when you can get Optech straps for a fraction of the price. And I like their design better.

I've owned a Optech strap before getting PD stuff. I like much more the PD Leash & Cuff system.
I'm not saying Optech stuff is crap... I just didn't like it.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I always extend the leash at the maximum length so the fact that it's much easier to adjust it is not a big improvement to me.
Ya I too was thinking the same thing the other day looking the redesigned version online. Wasn't sure if I wanted the metal parts but the exact same thought about being adjustable. Mine too is set for max length and rarely adjusted.

I'm not seeing the value of peakdesigns when you can get Optech straps for a fraction of the price. And I like their design better.
As we all know, just because something is cheaper doesn't automatically make people want it. After all, by the same argument I can find a lot of straps online for a fraction of the price of Optech, so I am not seeing the value of Optech.

Also I don't care for that style clip system. Besides being more prone to pinching your skin when clipping it in place, the pull apart direction is the same as the camera hanging from it. Where as the PD anchors you detach in the opposite direction of hanging. With a weakened Optech clip or even snagging the strap on something while walking, you can pull the strap off by unclipping. Where as the PD method you would have to break the strap or anchors. Their design doesn't allow for them to pull apart even if the anchor clip lost all its spring holding force.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Especially since most users quickly cram their camera into a bag with the strap pushed or folded beside or on top of the camera body and whatever lens they are using. The buckles should be fabricated from materials like polycarbonate or carbon fibre to avoid the scratching problem while retaining durability.
Exactly why I have to be careful packing my strap into the bag.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom