New Peak Design Strap

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Metal buckles....hmmmmm.....the cause of most scratched equipment. I know milled metal is all the rage, but it damages paint and plastic relentlessly when the edges are even semi-sharp, as this appears to be.
Especially since most users quickly cram their camera into a bag with the strap pushed or folded beside or on top of the camera body and whatever lens they are using. The buckles should be fabricated from materials like polycarbonate or carbon fibre to avoid the scratching problem while retaining durability.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I will say in Peak Design's defence, I use and swear by their leash and cuff system. It's so low key, versatile, and just a common sense concept, the effortless switch from wrist strap to sling strap.

But I've just had too many scuffs from metal buckles and rings.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Especially since most users quickly cram their camera into a bag with the strap pushed or folded beside or on top of the camera body and whatever lens they are using. The buckles should be fabricated from materials like polycarbonate or carbon fibre to avoid the scratching problem while retaining durability.
A god point never really thought of this as I use Think Tank pouches with the flap on top. I put the camera below the flap and the strap or cuff on top of the flap. Works for me but I can see the potential to scratch your read LCD if you just bundled the strap on top of your camera.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Have and love the original leash. I am surprised they didn't show in the video one of the leashes main advantage over the larger PD straps. Because the leash is the longest, if you were it at its longest (which I do) or the new version looks like it can adjust lengths very quickly, it makes for a wonderful no-fuss mono-pod for quick low light shows. Simply unhook one side of the leash, let it drop to the ground, step on that side, and pull up to create tension to have a much more stable shot than hand holding only. Of course the leash isn't THAT long, so many of us will still have to stoop down to have one side hit the ground for many shots, but I used it recently for this purpose at a lighthouse with lots of boulders around. Easy to stand in front of a large rock and step up onto a boulder with one foot onto your leash and being able to bring the camera up to eye level without stooping.

Of course for you anal people out there who are always obsessed about your equipment being pristine, I am sure that thought of stepping on one end of your strap gives you the heebee jeebees, so you will just have to lug around an actual mono-pod with you instead. :D

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Have and love the original leash. I am surprised they didn't show in the video one of the leashes main advantage over the larger PD straps. Because the leash is the longest, if you were it at its longest (which I do) or the new version looks like it can adjust lengths very quickly, it makes for a wonderful no-fuss mono-pod for quick low light shows. Simply unhook one side of the leash, let it drop to the ground, step on that side, and pull up to create tension to have a much more stable shot than hand holding only. Of course the leash isn't THAT long, so many of us will still have to stoop down to have one side hit the ground for many shots, but I used it recently for this purpose at a lighthouse with lots of boulders around. Easy to stand in front of a large rock and step up onto a boulder with one foot onto your leash and being able to bring the camera up to eye level without stooping.

Of course for you anal people out there who are always obsessed about your equipment being pristine, I am sure that thought of stepping on one end of your strap gives you the heebee jeebees, so you will just have to lug around an actual mono-pod with you instead. :D
I just carry around some blind cord with a clip to attach to my camera. Quicker than using the strap, and keeps the strap clean :rolleyes:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just carry around some blind cord with a clip to attach to my camera. Quicker than using the strap, and keeps the strap clean :rolleyes:
Not sure how it is faster since I just unclip one side of the strap and drop it. Your cord I assume is in your pocket or bag, needs to be retrieved, attached to the camera, etc.

And if your stuff isn't getting dirty then you ain't using it right! :coco:

:hiding:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure how it is faster since I just unclip one side of the strap and drop it. Your cord I assume is in your pocket or bag, needs to be retrieved, attached to the camera, etc.

And if your stuff isn't getting dirty then you ain't using it right! :coco:

:hiding:
Cant argue with that :dance:

BWN

Mu-43 Rookie
Aristophanes is spot on with his comments. For some reason it seems more and more manufacturers of, often beautiful straps, are using metal buckles and connectors which can cause a lot of damage to vulnerable camera and lens bodies. I get goose bumps just thinking about them (sad).

alextravels

Mu-43 Regular
Aristophanes is spot on with his comments. For some reason it seems more and more manufacturers of, often beautiful straps, are using metal buckles and connectors which can cause a lot of damage to vulnerable camera and lens bodies. I get goose bumps just thinking about them (sad).
Well, time to put that extra Sugru to work :D

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My local shop said they are getting the new cuff's in soon, so I quickly purchased another of the old model before they ran out. Nice to have one for both cameras.
The new ones are a lot stiffer and as people mentioned the aluminium may scratch their gear.

I hardly ever use my slide light now. The cuffs are great. Be interesting to see how people think of the new verses old. The new ones do look nice and adjust easier [at least on youtube] but I am happy with the old model.

My local shop said they are getting the new cuff's in soon, so I quickly purchased another of the old model before they ran out. Nice to have one for both cameras.
The new ones are a lot stiffer and as people mentioned the aluminium may scratch their gear.

I hardly ever use my slide light now. The cuffs are great. Be interesting to see how people think of the new verses old. The new ones do look nice and adjust easier [at least on youtube] but I am happy with the old model.
I have a problem getting my rather large hand into the original cuff. If the new one is larger I might get one.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom