New PC Time

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I bought my computer (i7700/4200 32 gig's RX480 8 gig SSD / 3 tb spinner/850 watt power supply) about five years ago. I am hoping to get a new machine next year (have budgeted around $3K) but in the last couple of months I replaced all of the fans because several were going bad (bearings). Then yesterday I replaced my liquid cooling systems (again a bad bearing, but hey I use my computer about 8 hours a day for stills/video/music). I am now pretty sure that my current machine will last until next year about this time when I will order my new machine (built too many to want to do that again, but may buy from a local custom builder). Until then I am using proxies for most large 4/6K video projects which makes for an easy time of editing. I guess I could build a new machine but don't know if I want to:)

I used a laptop for astronomy (controlling scope / imaging) but almost any reasonable laptop will do that. But doing video, music production, and liking those highres files from the G9 I need a desktop. I hope to have two GPU's in my next machine and lot's more SSD storage. Think of a 1000 watt power supply and of course lots of fans and liquid cooling again.

Even on long renders liquid cooling and lots of fans keeps the CPU/GPU humming along. The new liquid cooler dropped the temp by 20 C degrees.

Guess we're just dinosaurs thinking that we need desktops;)
Why have liquid in the PC that can leak and wreak havoc?
Go with a Noctua-NH-D15 and you can run Prime95 for half an hour on a Ryzen 3700X with CPU temperature never going much over 65 deg C! ;)
Sure you can hear the fans working then, all the fans the chassis fans and the 2 fans on the cooler, but how often do you run that kind of load? (All cores at 100%!)

I guess I am a Dino to, as I have a desktop and will always want to have one.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Why have liquid in the PC that can leak and wreak havoc?
Go with a Noctua-NH-D15 and you can run Prime95 for half an hour on a Ryzen 3700X with CPU temperature never going much over 65 deg C! ;)
Sure you can hear the fans working then, all the fans the chassis fans and the 2 fans on the cooler, but how often do you run that kind of load? (All cores at 100%!)

I guess I am a Dino to, as I have a desktop and will always want to have one.
Actually with 4K 60 fps or 6K for videos quite often I am at 100% cores and very high on the GPU. Probably several times a day for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes.....I am looking at greater than 12 cores/128 gig memory/2 or 3 gpu (since I went to resolve need the horse power) for my next machine (hopefully will last me a while, am not going 8K video, won't live long enough to need it).

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Weird, I only replaced the fans on my computer once these past 12 years. Video editing must put a lot of strain on the fans.

I know liquid cooling pumps don't last as long as normal heatsink and fan cooler, but I would expect normal fans to last longer than 5 years.

Next desktop I build will just be CPU and integrated GPU with 65W TDP, so 450W PSU will be more enough. 1 fan for CPU/GPU, 2 fans for the case, 1 fan for the PSU, so it should be quiet, even without liquid cooling. Quieter and more overclocking headroom, that the real reason for liquid cooling, and I don't care for overclocking either.

I guess 65W worth of CPU + GPU power doesn't require the desktop form factor, but desktop is just more cost effective than laptop, and the bigger screen is better for photo editing. I also finally bought a tablet several months ago, so not much point paying a premium for portability.

I think it's the laptop form factor that's in the awkward position, not quite powerful enough, but also not quite portable enough. Desktop and tablet are definitely here to stay.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Actually with 4K 60 fps or 6K for videos quite often I am at 100% cores and very high on the GPU. Probably several times a day for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes.....I am looking at greater than 12 cores/128 gig memory/2 or 3 gpu (since I went to resolve need the horse power) for my next machine (hopefully will last me a while, am not going 8K video, won't live long enough to need it).
So may I recommend the Fractal Design Define 7 chassi, maybe even the XL variant, where you can have a liquid cooler at the top and one in the front at the same time, should give you cooling enough. (No I don't own stock in that company, yet! ;) )
But they are from Sweden and building a PC with that chassis is very easy as the top comes completely of.

I really hope that you have to go to 8K video because you live so long! :thumbsup:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I actually just unloaded all of my Apple gear. I built a pretty cheap desktop instead, running Ubuntu 21.04. The 9700K is crazy cheap now, and Microcenter took $50 off the motherboard with purchase, so it was like $245 for the CPU-motherboard combo. I brought along the R9 380 that I picked up off eBay, and just use darktable as my editor. Linux has gotten pretty easy to use these days, and if gaming is your thing, Valve has made big strides in getting lots of ”Made for Windows” games working through proton/wine. With the sale of my various Apple items, I had enough money left over to get a used 35-100 2.8.

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Just a quick update...I ended up getting a HP Desktop with the AMD chip. Recently AMD upgraded their chip so I performed the update. Then, I updated to Windows 11 too. I have to say my PC works so much faster now than with Windows 10. I have had zero issues with the upgrades so am a very happy camper. Some of my slower software now works so much quicker than before. I am still learning Windows as my background for years was with a Mac, which I still have as a back-up.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom