1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Panny X Series Lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jglasson, Aug 26, 2011.

1. jglasson

jglasson New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2011
    Now that the press releases are out, as a GH2 owner, there's no mention of that body supporting the new lenses. From the bottom of the 14-42 press release:
    The LUMIX GF3X will be available in a black body and black lens or a silver body and silver lens kits options in October 2011 for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $749.99. The new LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./ POWER O.I.S. (H-PS14042) lens will also be available separately for an SRP of $399.99 and will be compatible with the DMC-G3, DMC-GF3, DMC-GF2 with a firmware upgrade.​
    I assume this is an oversight or else the GH2 won't need a FW update.

There's no mention of FW updates for any cameras in the 45-175 PR.

Can anyone shed light on this?

2. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks like a typo. The Japanese press release lists the GH2 as a compatible model, after a firmware update. Firmware should be available roughly in October (at least in Japan). Panasonic has also said that these will work on Olympus bodies :thumbup:

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    DPR said that it was only the first-gen G-series that hadn't been included (G1, G10, GH1...)

4. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    So I can't use my beloved gf1 with either new lens? That's not cool.

my HTC Desire sent this

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Will the 14-42 work with an EP1?

6. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    It is really a shame that Panasonic leave alone the first G camera┬┤s users.
    Plus, in future, it seems there is no plan for "normal" lenses because the 2 new one will belong to "X series" 12-35 and 35-100.
    I was waiting especially for the large new X zoom, in order to include in my collection a light and better image lense than the actual ones (45-200 and 100-300).
    The first deception is the aperture number, will have GF1, GH1 or G1 users some decent fast zoom some day?

Really a pitty!!!!!! Shame on you Panasonic.
    This kind of behaviours make me think about Panasonic is the right decision (learn from Nikon mantaining the compatibility for decades!!!!).

7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Good to see the innovation in the MFT field. I am not really the target market for the shorter zoom, but it seems like good design and if the quality is as Panasonic claims, then cool.

8. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
  9. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
  10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I mifgt be getting one of each. I love the collapsable oly zoom, but if the quality is good, the pancake zoom is better in size. It has filter threads and can manually focus. Only question is still ois on oly bodies.

The long zoom is what I've been looking for to replace my 43 40-150. I was going to get the m.z zoom tele but I want more reach. I hope the IQ is good on both.

11. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
  12. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    It sounds like two things will require the firmware update, which may or may not be available for all MFT cameras:

1) Display of current focal length in viewfinder.

2) Power OIS. The lenses have both Mega OIS (for small, fast movement) and Power OIS (for large, slow movement). Only Mega OIS will work without the firmware upgrades.

So far those are the only compatibility issues I've seen in my scan of the news this morning. If you can live without those, they should work fine on any camera.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I don't like power zoom.

I prefer the finer control you get with manual zoom. Just a personal preference - but it would definitely keep me from buying any of these lenses. Feels like we keep getting closer to the P&S end of the scale rather than the dslr end. It's also one more area for potential failure of the lens and the zoom motor uses power - a drain on the battery. I like the size, but that's not enough to sell me on the design.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    But a GF3 + kit lens is an incredible value proposition vs. Canon G12, maybe XZ-1, LX5, etc. Even with the slower lens, the better quality of the larger sensor will really help. I think it will be the ergonomics which will determine if this defeats the "serious pocket compacts" that have been popular for the last 2-3 years.

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I was thinking about this too battery life ain't exactly phenomenal on our cameras to start with, this is only going to make it worse.

In the grand scheme though, IMHO, this lens is going to be the real game-changer for mirrorless. The complaint has always been that "sure they're a little smaller than a DSLR, but way bigger than a compact due to the zoom lens" - well, no longer. For a very modest increase in size, there is a huge image quality improvement over a compact, and similar IQ to a DSLR in a very much smaller total package.

In terms of making people take notice of mirrorless cameras, I would say the 14-42 pancake is a bigger deal than the NEX7

16. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    The GF-1 [& similarly the G1 etc] was not on the list of camera bodies that would receive the firmware updates to allow full functionality.

That's why I question the later 'compatible with' statement [over at DPR] from Panasonic. I just wonder if they're being economical with the truth.

17. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I get the impression that Olympus and Panasonic are targeting different markets.

Panasonic seems to be pushing the size envelope, and has more emphasis on video.

Olympus seems to be producing more traditional still camera equipment.

In general, I would have to say the Olympus gear has more appeal to me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    Second update from DPR and Panasonic: "We've just received updated press releases from Panasonic, which remove any reference to firmware updates being needed for full compatibility of the power zoom lenses with Micro Four Thirds cameras."

Updated press releases from Panasonic: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

19. Offriver

Offriver Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2011
    I like the concept and size of the 14-42, but the 45-175 is too big. I wonder if they could have made it about half size if they left out the manual zoom or focus options and made it retractible similar to the 14-42mm. I'd buy that version of the 45-175 lens :)