New Panny....NO pouch...!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Surprise, just bought a 45-150.....and no pouch came with it....cheapskates.

Be charging for hoods next.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada's the arrogance of many OEMs, I hate it.

I remember when I bought my first third-party lens (Sigma 10-20 for my Canons), it came with an excellent hood and a beautiful, high-quality padded pouch (really, a carry case). They're cheap things, but they really impress the customers. Heck, even my cheapo Samyang fisheye came with a pouch...nothing to write home about, but it's enough to keep it (or whatever lens it's replacing on my camera) from getting scratched in the bag!
  3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    At least panny still includes a hood on their lenses. Hehe

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  4. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    when I got mine last year it came with a pouch....
  5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    They must have dropped it, it is not shown in the booklet as a supplied accessory, just hood, front and rear caps.
  6. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Hmm, interesting, I have a 45-200 which definitely came with a pouch. I hope this isn't a new trend.
  7. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Same with a new 14-42 - no pouch
  8. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Region specific, perhaps?
  9. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I got no pouch with g5 and two kit lenses. I did get a pouch with g2 and kit. UK buyer. They've definitely dropped the pouches here sadly.
  10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Aww, that stinks. I love the fact that Panasonic includes hoods and pouches with their lenses!
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    For now :wink:
  12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I got a pouch and lens hood with my PL25 this week.
  13. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    You'll still get a pouch with separately bought lenses just not with kits I think. Also for those that don't know I hear that 14 42 ii kits have plastic mount while the one bought separately from a body has a metal mount.
  14. Jamesgjy

Jamesgjy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2011
    Excuse me, what is a pouch?

-Olympus lenses owner
    • Like Like x 2
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Apparently it's something that comes with Panasonic lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Who here actually uses one? I very occasionally used the big ones canon supplies with the L telephoto zooms (70-200/2.8 and larger), but nice as the others were (Sigma's for instance) I much prefer a properly padded camera bag or insert, or a neoprene wrap that provides a bit more protection than a standard panny pouch.

The Oly 12-40 came with a nice pouch. Looks good, soft, but it's not going to get used in the field by me.
  17. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan

Hi Dave!

I had to go into the equipment cupboard just to double check - but none of my lenses are stored in pouches. The pouches are kept in a box in a cabinet in the basement along with other rarely used kit.

I do keep a couple of those Canadian Whiskey purple pouches in my bag (I use a Domke most often and there's no padding in the bag itself to speak of); sometimes I'll put the lenses in the whiskey pouches. Most often the lenses are just dropped into the bag (I do use rear lens caps for protection); in the equipment cupboard the lenses sit with caps and hoods mounted but no pouches.

The problem with the pouches is (for me, and I know others mileage will vary) is that they slow down locating the lens I'm looking for in the cabinet and slow down accessing the lenses when carried in the bag.

I do like getting the hood included when I acquire a lens but the pouch is an "extra added attraction" that doesn't much appeal to me anymore. :eek:

(Besides, not getting pouches gives me a reason to buy more whiskey...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:).

18. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Do people actually use these pouches (fungus traps)?

I've gotten many but never once used one. I've also purchased many used lenses that spent a lot of time in pouches, and a disproportionate amount of them had fungus. If anyone is considering it, I would not recommend storing your lenses in pouches.
  19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I know this matters to some, and I respect that. But I don't think I've ever used a pouch or case for any lens.
  20. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm sure the OP was tongue-in-cheek, but what would you really expect from a $200 lens?