New Panny....NO pouch...!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Surprise, just bought a 45-150.....and no pouch came with it....cheapskates.

Be charging for hoods next.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Ugh...it's the arrogance of many OEMs, I hate it.

I remember when I bought my first third-party lens (Sigma 10-20 for my Canons), it came with an excellent hood and a beautiful, high-quality padded pouch (really, a carry case). They're cheap things, but they really impress the customers. Heck, even my cheapo Samyang fisheye came with a pouch...nothing to write home about, but it's enough to keep it (or whatever lens it's replacing on my camera) from getting scratched in the bag!

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    At least panny still includes a hood on their lenses. Hehe

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    when I got mine last year it came with a pouch....

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    They must have dropped it, it is not shown in the booklet as a supplied accessory, just hood, front and rear caps.

6. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Hmm, interesting, I have a 45-200 which definitely came with a pouch. I hope this isn't a new trend.

7. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Same with a new 14-42 - no pouch

8. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Region specific, perhaps?

9. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I got no pouch with g5 and two kit lenses. I did get a pouch with g2 and kit. UK buyer. They've definitely dropped the pouches here sadly.

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Aww, that stinks. I love the fact that Panasonic includes hoods and pouches with their lenses!

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    For now :wink:

12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I got a pouch and lens hood with my PL25 this week.

13. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    You'll still get a pouch with separately bought lenses just not with kits I think. Also for those that don't know I hear that 14 42 ii kits have plastic mount while the one bought separately from a body has a metal mount.

14. Jamesgjy

Jamesgjy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2011
    Excuse me, what is a pouch?

-Olympus lenses owner

• Like Like x 2
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Apparently it's something that comes with Panasonic lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Who here actually uses one? I very occasionally used the big ones canon supplies with the L telephoto zooms (70-200/2.8 and larger), but nice as the others were (Sigma's for instance) I much prefer a properly padded camera bag or insert, or a neoprene wrap that provides a bit more protection than a standard panny pouch.

The Oly 12-40 came with a nice pouch. Looks good, soft, but it's not going to get used in the field by me.

17. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    :biggrin:

Hi Dave!

I had to go into the equipment cupboard just to double check - but none of my lenses are stored in pouches. The pouches are kept in a box in a cabinet in the basement along with other rarely used kit.

I do keep a couple of those Canadian Whiskey purple pouches in my bag (I use a Domke most often and there's no padding in the bag itself to speak of); sometimes I'll put the lenses in the whiskey pouches. Most often the lenses are just dropped into the bag (I do use rear lens caps for protection); in the equipment cupboard the lenses sit with caps and hoods mounted but no pouches.

The problem with the pouches is (for me, and I know others mileage will vary) is that they slow down locating the lens I'm looking for in the cabinet and slow down accessing the lenses when carried in the bag.

I do like getting the hood included when I acquire a lens but the pouch is an "extra added attraction" that doesn't much appeal to me anymore. :eek:

(Besides, not getting pouches gives me a reason to buy more whiskey...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:).

Regards,

Jim

18. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Do people actually use these pouches (fungus traps)?

I've gotten many but never once used one. I've also purchased many used lenses that spent a lot of time in pouches, and a disproportionate amount of them had fungus. If anyone is considering it, I would not recommend storing your lenses in pouches.

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I know this matters to some, and I respect that. But I don't think I've ever used a pouch or case for any lens.

20. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm sure the OP was tongue-in-cheek, but what would you really expect from a $200 lens?