1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

new Panny conversion lenses announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by supermaxv, Jan 9, 2012.

1. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Panasonic unveils conversion lenses for Micro Four Thirds: Digital Photography Review

The wide angle and fisheye converters being compatible with the 14mm pancake is definitely intriguing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I always found the pricing on conversions to be brutal, have to see what Panasonic is asking.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Yep, that's the best way to improve the optical performance of any lens! :biggrin:

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    So with the telephoto adapter the 14-42 would be an F11 lens at the long end? :eek:

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Obviously they announce the fisheye converter the day my Samyang/Rokinon FE lens arrives. :p

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have the Oly FE converter. It's OK. I'd like to see what the Panny can do on my 14.

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, a tele converter on the front of a lens doesn't change the aperture value.

Fred

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No. Front mounted tele conversion lenses don't affect the aperture like true TCs do.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The macro, if it's really high quality, might be interesting. I just don't get the rest of them at all. Why buy an interchangeable lens camera to treat it like a P&S? I guess they'll be cheaper than a dedicated lens, but almost certainly at the expense of quality.

11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    It has to, F-stop is aperture diameter divided by focal length. Another way to look at is that if you half the FOV the potential amount of light hitting the sensor is cut by a factor of four. Since the aperture hasn't changed, you lose the full amount, i.e. 2 stops.

12. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    When the converter is behind the lens it is changing the the focal length and you are correct. Putting what is essentially a magnifier in front of the lens doesn't change it's focal length. I can't can't explain this one technically, but it's true. The f stop will remain the same.

Fred

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If light drops off to the square of it's distance, why doesn't a front mounted tcon cause a drop in light reaching the sensor? If it lengthens the focal length, yet there's no way to expand the aperture opening.

14. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It doesn't change the focal length, it magnifies before the lens. If you hold a magnifying glass between your eyes and a printed page it doesn't dim the page.

Fred

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:eek:WTF! Ok why are they resorting to add-on conversion lenses for a system has can change the lenses???:confused:

Conversion lenses are very useful when your camera has a built in lens but I am totally confused by this move. Panasonic why didn't you spend the time and money and give us another prime or two! or heck even a new zoom.

Oh and yes a conversion lens does NOT cut down the light. I just tested it with a little camcorder and some lenses. They do however cause a fair amount of added distortion! Even the high quality ones do.

16. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    You do realize Olympus already has similar converters out for their mk II kit lenses, right? Part of this simply feels like Panasonic's reaching parity with Olympus in that regard. They're not perfect, but they do offer low cost, convenient ways of expanding the capabilities of the kit lens. The olympus WCON only costs about $100; the 12mm is $899 MSRP.

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually I was not aware of that. Still seems stupid to me however.

18. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have the 14mm f2.5 and would be interested in these converters. I know a lot of people hate them due to the price and image quality but they might suit me well as I already have the 14mm.

I came across a website with prices in Great British Pounds but have seen other websites saying they won't be released until April :confused: :

Panasonic DMW GWC1 Wide, GFC1 Fisheye, GMC1 Macro & GTC1 Tele Conversion Lenses

I'm going to contact Panasonic.co.uk and find out when will they be selling them on their eStore.

I'll update the thread when I find out.

** RANG PANASONIC BUT NO PHONE CALL BACK **

19. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Almost no light loss with teleconverters

Aperture is related to the light gathering ability, which is dependant on front element size (can theoretically be elsewhere, but why design a lens with an oversized front element?). The front element on a well-designed tele- or wide converter is appropriately large so as not to constrict the light going through the prime lens elements. The only light loss is due to extra glass and coatings, which is very minimal.

Front-mounted converters have a poor reputation for a couple of reasons:
    1 - most of them are poor quality 3rd party add-ons
    2 - they must be matched to a lens or they will perform poorly
    3 - dogma ("you bought an interchangeable lens system, so you must not use another solution")

A high quality optic converter will have no significant image degradation; this is great news from Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I agree there. Unless these are specifically Optimized for the 14mm lens, then quality may not be an issue. I mean, I don't understand the point of these for an interchangeable lens camera, A fixed lens camera yea, but how much does one really save? Yet an inexpensive Super Wide angle lens compared to the alternatives sounds good. I'm only curious about the image quality of the WA converter on the 14mm.