1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Panny 14mm f/2.5

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by deirdre, Sep 14, 2010.

1. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    • Like Like x 3
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for this, dierdre! Since we're still in the "rumors" stages, I've moved it into the "News and Rumors" forum. Once the lens becomes real, we'll start a thread for it, for sure.

3. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Umm, is it still a rumor if there's a spec PDF on panasonic's site? :)

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Oh it's real ladies and it's a real pretty sight.
    I agree with BB. After we get confirmation then we'll even move it to the Front Page.
    Deirdre, you will get full credit for this news.
    You'll be famous here, known as the "One who shed light" on this find.
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  5. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

I think this lens is going to be coveted by us all.

If you look at the lens pictured in the PDF its actually a 20/1.7 and the price seems to be for the 20mm. This line, "I don’t know if the price refers to the 20mm or the new 14mm lens (399 Euro)" on the 43rumors site questions the pricing...I hope its not going to be that expensive.

Either way I'll be chasing after one of these for sure.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It is a desirable focal length but for over $500.00 USD, it better be real good quality.
    Like Canon/Nikon quality!

7. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes, that corner of the PDF seems not to be current, but the rest of the PDF is. I'm hoping for a lot less.

8. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking at the German website it's pretty clear that the EU 399 price is the suggested retail price for the 20mm lens which is not what you would actually pay.

I would expect the 14mm to be about the same as the 20 or maybe a little less. If it costs more than the 20 I think they will have a hard time selling.

-Thomas

9. This lens looks interesting to me too. The f/2.5 maximum aperture is certainly enough for landscape pix, though slightly faster would be nicer for indoor shots.

In both of these cases the greater depth of field of a µ4/3 sensor could well be an advantage.

10. intense

intense Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 14, 2010
    That lens seems very nice. It will be a nice street/landscape combo with the 20/1.7

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Wish it was a little faster, but I suppose if that were the case it would have to be a lot bigger/more expensive, correct? However, I'm not sure I know how true this fact is, because the 20mm is quite compact, and much faster.

Regardless, I look forward to reading reviews about this one. Personally, I am still waiting for an 85mm equivalent (40ish?) portrait lens, or a fast, 24mm equivalent (10-14?) prime. Is that 45mm Elmarit Leica lens any good for portraits? Or is it more of a macro-only type-of-a-guy?

Anyways, at least in my eyes, having the 20mm 1.7 and 25mm 2.5 seems minimal...
    I'll stick with the 20 unless I start hearing rave reviews. :]

Just my two cents.

12. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I am a little lost (being new at photography) on why this lens is so attractive (this was typed with an 'inquisive' tone, not a sarcastic one!)?

From what I have read, the focal length lends itself to landscrape and architecture (mostly?). How useful is f/2.5 for these situations?

Also this prime is only half a stop faster than the (excellent) kit zoom (f/2.5 compared to f/3.5)? I guess compactness must be rated highly to warrant getting the lens?

13. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    I haven't been following photography in a long time, so these are just my guesses and intuitions.

1. It wouldn't surprise me if this replaced the 20mm as one kit lens configuration.
    2. The slower speed will make it lighter and less expensive (typically) than the 20mm, thus making the overall package price more competitive with Olympus's.

It's a great lens length and speed for many things, granted. It just seems like an evolutionary step from the 14-45mm earlier kit zoom to the 14-42 kit zoom (even though most people here seem to like the earlier zoom).

Of course, I could also be wrong....

28mm (effective on full frame) and 40mm are pretty different in what they capture.

14. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    You're wrong about this lens being useful for architecture only. 28mm is a classic wide angle suitable for a lot of stuff. I took a 28mm to ALL my trips and had I had a 28mm f2.5 while I was shooting the Great Wall of China at night would have helped considerably.

Even the Oly collapsible zoom doesn't make a 14mm as portable or fast as this pancake. This IS a very welcome addition for people who use the GF1/EP1...although I do understand it not being as attractive for people who use the less compact micro 4/3 cameras like the G1, GH1 and so on. I'd have been more excited if it had been a 12mm or if it was like an f2.0 but I'm still more excited about this lens than I was about the 20mm f1.7 and the 17mm f2.8. This is my favorite FOV and I''m sure I won't take this lens out of my GF1!

15. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Not to contradict you for the sake of it, but on the other hand, I'm almost sure it will be more expensive than the 20 at retail price.

-> This is a prime, won't sell as well in kit as zooms.
    -> Target public is knowledgeable amateurs ; they wanted a wide for a long time, no need to lower the price tag, they're going to jump on it whatever the price. Better margin, higher profits, no concurrence.
    -> a wide @f/2.5 is not much more simple to build than a 20 @f/1.7 ; I'd say it was rather usual figures converted to the 35 mm film world and wides were always more expensive than normals in the old times, no reason to change that trend.
    -> Pany will organise scarcity as usual to keep 2nd hand prices high as they did with the 20 that's more expensive 2nd hand than new. You pay higher 2nd hand for fast delivery Pany is unwilling to offer as a service (brilliant marketing idea).
    -> µ4:3 prices for all native mount lenses are already insane compared to other mounts / brands. Face it, both Oly and Pany sell amateur lenses at a pro price tag. The retail prices should be halved to simply enter sanity zone. We were promised lighter and cheaper lenses, but the only thing that lightened in the process is my wallet.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but if I had a guess, I'd say the 14mm will cost in the long run at least as much as the 20 (circa 350 €), but I brace for a launching price tag higher than that, circa 450 €.

Ps, thank you for the brilliant find of the info in 1st place.

16. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    This may be a helpful guide to field of view vs. lens diameter. It's specific to the Oly lenses, but you can see there's an 18mm line and a 22mm line, so the Panasonic 20mm would fall between them. That should give you a comparison of the difference between the 14 and the 20.

17. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    Though this is indeed good news, I'll be waiting for the 12mm prime on the Olympus lens roadmap first :tongue:

18. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    This is just Panasonic's competition to Olympus's 17mm. I'd expect it around the same price point. What I don't understand is why the 2 m4/3 makers keep making similar lenses. I guess from a business standpoint it makes sense (cheaper kit lens, etc.), but as a consumer, it bugs me to see the lens road map for both companies having the same range. Why not play off each others achievements instead of trying to out-do the other?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    14mm = 28mm which is very different from 17mm = 34mm (the 17mm´s FOV is closer to the 20mm than to the 14mm). As far as I´m concerned this will be the first micro 4/3 wide prime.

20. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Yep. What I was thinking.