1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Panasonic telephoto coming in July

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hoodlum, Jun 17, 2015.

1. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    http://naturalexposures.com/long-lenses-for-lumix-question-from-mark-kaprielian/

"Finally, depending on your timeline, Panasonic has a surprise lurking in the wings that you may be interested in. I’ve been told there will be a special announcement sometime in July and I’m guessing sooner rather than later. That’s not to say it will arrive in July, but at least you will have more information to make a decision. Unfortunately, I’m not allowed to say what it is but you can dream on your own and don’t forget to dream big"

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    interesting... Hopefully it's not just the previously rumoured but never come to light 150mm f2.8 (which is already covered with the oly 40-150)

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's not covered for Panasonic shooters who want stabilization. Plus a prime would presumable be lighter and a bit shorter. If it is a prime, I'd hope for a faster aperture. 150mm f2.0 OIS would be a killer lens.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

If they can get an OIS f2.8 or f4 300mm prime out before Olympus they'll get my cash...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I really hope it's a weather sealed update to the 100-300. Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy with the same f/4-5.6 aperture, but a constant f/4 would be awesome (although the size and weight would definitely go up, since it would require a 75mm from element and would likely have 82mm filter threads, compared to the 54mm front element needed for f/5.6 @ 300mm, and the accompanying 67mm thread diameter).

That's really the last lens that I'm missing for what I like to shoot, and having weather sealing would be icing on the cake!

6. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    I am lagging a few years behind the news, just got the 100-300 and like it a lot!

7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Older OIS (Mega vs. Power), poor build quality (sticky zoom ring, stiff focus ring), no lens coatings, slower AF motors, slower aperture mechanism limits C-AF fps to about 2-3 fps shooting anything other than wide open, doesn't work with Panasonic's new DFD focusing technology, etc.

While the old lens may work fine for your needs, there are definitely a number of areas that are in need up updating, especially with all of the new technology Panasonic is releasing with their cameras.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    If I could have any lens it would be a 150mm f2.8 macro with O.I.S., just a little bigger than the Oly. 60mm f2.8 macro.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I'd settle for that even if it only went to 1:2

• Like Like x 2
  10. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Agree with both of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A 150mm f2.8 would be MUCH larger than the 60mm. Sigma makes one for DSLR and one for m4/3 would have to be even longer.

12. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I have a Sigma 150/2.8 for my Nikon, and sometimes I put it on my GM1, it's terrific! Even wide open it's tack-sharp with the 16mp GM1. Especially for someone with m4/3 with IBIS it would be a great lens, albeit a bit heavy at about 800-900g, and MF only. Since my GM1 doesn't have IBIS I only use it on a tripod, with the lens mounted to the tripod, not the camera.

13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm still hopeful it will be a tele-macro after all this is a surprise and the last time Panasonic really surprised everyone with a new lens it was the diminutive 30mm macro! Maybe it will be a macro zoom like the old Micro-Nikkor which was 70-180mm f4.0-5.6 which got us to 1:1.33 and was superb? :2thumbs:

14. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    It could also follow the classic Micro-Nikkor 200mm f4.0? That would give us two Panasonic µ43's macros, a 30mm f2.8 and a 100mm f4.0 both with O.I.S.! Hey I'm just dreaming here people. :cloud-9-039:

15. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    Since we already have panaleica 15mm 25mm and 42.5mm (equiv), how about a panaleica 67.5mm f/2 or wider?

16. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    For me the portrait length is already filled by the excellent Sigma 60/2.8 and Oly 75/1.8. Nothing wrong with having other options, but I want something longer :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    In terms of focal lengths I agree... I'm just hoping for that PL rendering in the 135ish focal length. I fully expect the telephoto prime (should it appear) to be in the 150-200 mm range, I was just wishing out loud.

18. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    A new 100-300 with constant f/4 would be awesome. Or a 200-400mm quality lens.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    An uncoated lens? let me just say Ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It doesn't use Panasonic's Nano Crystal Coat, which they explicitly advertise on any lens that features it (PanaLeica, X Vario).

Please provide proof that the lens does have a coating on all of its elements, since you're so sure about it...

I look forward to seeing that proof from you