1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Panasonic M43 camera with fixed lens and rangefinder-style viewfinder [43rumors]

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by noodlehaus, Jun 29, 2010.

1. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
  2. Ephemeral Moment

Ephemeral Moment Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2010
    Darlington
    It's not interchangeable lens though, just a compact with a decent sized sensor on it - probably called the LX4

Will be a fine carry about though if you don't have a :43: already

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Will also be a fine carry-about if you do have a m4/3 already. I don't take my GH1 everywhere I go, but I would something compact like this. I agree that such a camera wouldn't appeal to GF-1/E-PEN users who already have a compact m4/3 body.

• Like Like x 1
  4. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm surprised nobody other than Sigma has come out with a large-sensor point-and-shoot...I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Panasonic do it.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Many folks are going to like this camera. I think the market has been asking for this for a long time.

6. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    London
    Hmm, that might be just the thing to replace my ageing LX-2 as an even smaller carry around camera than my EP-1. Much as I love the LX-2's tiny size and image quality in good light it really can't get anywhere near the EP-1 in poor light or as far as depth of field control goes (important for my personal style of photography), nor is it as flexible of course, having a fixed lens.

However there are a few situations where I will still use it in preference to the EP-1 - mainly at parties / social events where I want something tiny I can just stick in a handbag, and when I'm out walking (backpacking) when every gram that I don't have to carry about counts! :wink: If a camera like this can remedy the image quality and depth of field issues but be no bigger than an LX-2, I could certainly see it becoming a backup to my EP-1 or even as a main camera for those occasional situations when even an EP-1 is too big :wink:

7. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

fingers crossed it'll have proper rangefinder styling that we've all been craving - if it does I'll be the first to pre order mine, and if a Leica branded one really does come out and looks very similar to a Leica M camera i might even spend more for the red dot...

Hope it comes with the also rumored newer sensor which I posted about elsewhere in the forums.

8. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    I wouldn't mind such camera without any zoom
    - Fast 80-100 mm prime with larger sensor

Of course next to my LX3

9. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    So did this ever come to pass?

10. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    No. The LX5 had an improved sensor, yes, but it was not a fixed lens Micro 4/3 camera. No on the rangefinder-style viewfinder as well; it uses the same LVF1 as the GF1.

11. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Potentially the GF2 will have a build-in EVF (with exchangable lenses, higher price, but also more flexible)
    - Question, is EVF good enough for you (I prefer OVF)

12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Joep,

I'd have no problem with EVF if it could be made near continuous... perhaps the electronic global shutter will make this more feasible.

As it is, I think the VF-2 is a good implementation - I like being able to switch it between bodies or keep it in a pocket for wide angle photography.

Cheers

Brian

13. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    I like the potential application of a mirrorless camera to also record 5 images before pushing the shutter!!!
    [credits should not go to me, but I don't know any more where I read this idea]

14. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I believe the Casio F1 had that feature.

From the dpreview preview.
    Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  15. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks Brian
    - In some way it kind of kills the challenge of catching the right moment, but if you are used to the continuos burst mode of better DSLR (and select 1 out of 100) then this is just a small step for mankind, but a hudge leap some individuals. Imagine burst mode application with film, or this prerecord functionality?!?!
    - Fortunately still framing, focus and all other settings should be OK to get a real good picture, so I think it will especially be handy for family shots.