New Panasonic 'Lumix X' Lenses, Motorized Pancake Zoom and Two New Telephoto Zooms?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Three very juicy rumors coming to us from EOS HD via 1001 Noisy Cameras:

Rumor #1 (Source): Panasonic is going to offer a high-end line of lenses designated as "Lumix X" lenses, analogous to Canon "L" lenses and Sony "G" lenses.

Just as Sony's "G" lenses are said to stand at the same level as their Zeiss lenses, Panasonic's "X" lenses will likely be at the level of their Leica lenses.

EOS HD speculates that the first "X" lenses might include the long rumored, fast 12-50mm zoom or perhaps a fast wide or stabilized short telephoto.

Numerous sites have cited sources about an upcoming GF7, rumored to be Panasonic's "pro" GF model. It would make sense to bring out the "X" lenses alongside such a camera. However, according to a recent Optyczne (Polish language) interview with Michiharu Uematsu, product planning department consultant for Panasonic, there are no plans to introduce a "pro" Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera in the near future.

Rumor #2 (Source): Panasonic is going to offer a pancake-sized kit zoom lens designed with a motorized collapsible design similar to that seen on current small sensor compact cameras.

I have long been wondering when we would see such a design. The idea of zooming with a button is completely unappealing to me. I can deal with focus by wire, but a mechanically-linked zoom is not something I'd personally be willing to give up. However, an automated extremely compact lens with button-controlled zoom is something the "Point and Shoot" market has come to accept as the norm, and I imagine that such a lens would be a smash hit in the market.

According to the EOS HD source, such a design could be implemented in a new 14-42mm lens, and the zoom buttons would be on the lens itself so that it would work "with any current Lumix Micro Four Thirds camera". Unfortunately that suggests that it would not work with Olympus bodies, which would be an unfortunate development given that our system's strength is largely based on brand interoperability.

Rumor #3 (Source): The same report from EOS HD tells us that Panasonic will be announcing two new zooms: a 45-175mm zoom (?smaller and lighter than the existing 45-200) and a "higher end 45-300mm HD OIS".

Rumor Grade for all of the above rumors: B+

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible
    • Like Like x 4
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Buttons on the lens itself imply compatibility with any m43 body - what would stop it from working? Power coming from the body is a given for any use: IS, focus, or zoom. Moveover, why would Panny want to undermine the m43 standard? My conjecture/hope is that the quote inadvertently included the word 'Lumix', thereby creating unnecessary confusion.
  3. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    You meant "X" lens, right?

If it has a constant F-Stop of 2.8, I'll be first in line.
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Oops, will fix that now. So confusing - Panasonic G, Sony G, Panasonic X...
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That makes a lot of sense, Tom. I sure hope you're right!
  6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    A 45-300mm? Sounded silly but then I remembered Pentax has an outstanding 55-300mm that is about a hairline larger than the panny 100-300mm. Of course to match the reach they'd need a 55-400mm, but who is counting? Since I just shelled out for the 100-300mm, it figures a better replacement would come out.
  7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I sense that the comment about no 'pro' camera does not refer to the GF7. I don't think that's what Panasonic understand by 'pro. The GF1 / 7 class is enthusiast: pro means something else to Panasonic, who understand the sector from their video work. Similar to Olympus, who do not regard the EP3 as their pro camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I doubt that the rumored 45-300 will be better than the 100-300. Aren't wider zoom ranges filled with more compromises?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Historically, yes, but that is before modern software correction. People seem pretty damn pleased with the 14-140.
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The 100-300 is in a different league to the 14-140. Sure the 14-140 is very good compared to other super zooms, but the 100-300 is good compared to almost any zoom.

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Looks interesting. Can't wait to see what happens.
  12. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    I really do not want power zoom. I guess it tells me who Panasonic is targeting with their new gear, and it's not me.
  13. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    The thing I most dislike in my superzoom is the motorized zoom. I'm not seeing myself using it in m4/3 even if it were 10x faster than it is in the FZ18...
  14. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Video guys would love power zoom... I won't :)
  15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    The power zoom is supposedly on the two kit lenses. This says nothing of what exactly is going to be the Lumix X line.
  16. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    Considering Panasonic's tendency toward size reduction (battery size particularly) how much juice will the power zoom consume, can it be switched off. I hope.
  17. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA
    43rumors has a bit more information.

43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) New Panasonic X lens series coming (PRO lenses)

"Yes it’s true, Panasonic will announce a new Micro Four Thirds pro lens series. It will be called “X“. What EosHD didn’t mention is that the 14-42mm and 45-175mm lenses will be the very first lenses having that “X” mark! Unlike Andrews speculation there will be no 12-50mm or 45-300mm zooms yet. I have been told the new lenses are an “optical revolution” because they are incredibly compact, do have a high optical quality, powerzoom and inner focusing. The lenses are made with both worlds in mind, still photography and video recording. …"
  18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    well, that's disappointing then. I am not terribly interested in an X compact power zoom =( Though, I do see the video aspects of this, depending on how well it works.

Or maybe this will be zoom by wire? Kinda like how we focus by wire.
  19. Pen F

Pen F Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    If the 45-175 is reasonibly fast count me in. my kit will look like 12mm oly, 20 panni, 45-175panni. I will skip the 45 0ly prime and use either my om 50 1.4 or 38 pen f 1.8 as my portrait lens.
  20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I disagree. I shot as a professional videographer for many years, and never once did I have a powerzoom lens. Never once did I even use a professional video camera that had either power zoom or auto focus.

How are you supposed to get those smooth zoom and focus transitions with a power zoom or autofocus? Quality video transitions are done by hand with manual focus and zoom rings.