1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Panasonic LF1 - Shape of Things to Come?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ever since the DMC-G1 and GF1, Panasonic's first two Micro 4/3 cameras, many people have been asking for a "rangefinder-styled" Micro 4/3 camera with an integrated viewfinder. Despite the fact that Sony and Fuji have both brought out interchangeable lens camera that meet those criteria, neither Olympus nor Panasonic have seen fit to introduce such a camera. Integrated viewfinder means "SLR hump" in the Micro 4/3 world.

Perhaps that is about to change. Today Panasonic introduced the LF1, a small sensor (1/1.7") compact fixed-lens camera with an integrated viewfinder:

Granted, it's a very small, low-resolution (200k dot) EVF, but it's low profile and should be more than adequate for eye level composition if not quite good enough for reliable manual focus. Importantly, it doesn't take up a lot of real estate, meaning that there is still room for a large rear LCD.

Given that the GF and GX Panasonic cameras have shared many design elements with their LX advanced small sensor compact line to date, it's very possible that the LF1 is a sign of things to come. Seems more likely than ever that the GX2 could feature a small, integrated EVF. No doubt a lot of folks would be pleased to see that, especially if Panasonic sees fit to include the GH3 sensor in that camera.

2. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

It looks like it could be an interesting camera, but I wish they used a slightly larger sensor, say 2/3''. It also wouldn't have hurt if at 200mm aperture a bit faster at f4.5. On the plus side it seems like the lens is faster than the Canon S9x/1x0 series at the same focal length(tele end is 120mm at f5.9). That all said, a part of me has GAS and wants it just for the fact it has an EVF and fits in the pocket.

On a side note why can't companies gives something like the Panasonic TS, but with the sensor of the LX/LF, and if possible same fast aperture at the wide end.

3. b534202

b534202 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2012
    What's with the no hand grip design? All of the high end Lumix cameras have hand grips, only the cheap low end ones like SZ7 and XS1 have this kind of smooth body. Is that the design language they're going for here?

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The design looks like a clone of the Sony RX100. More business for Richard Franiec :).

5. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    At first glance, this is too little, too late, to use a worn phrase. If this is a test phase for this concept, fine. But for serious use, I for one am not interested.

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    This looks like a perfect travel zoom for folks who don't want to get into a camera system and want something pocketable.

I still remember people trying to choose between Lx3 and the Zs series on Panasonic forums . Now there is a better choice if you want more zoom range . VF is just icing on the cake .

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah... it looks like pretty much the perfect camera for my mom. :smile:

She wants a compact camera with an EVF and decent telephoto zoom, and my dad simply won't let her get a camera with a 1/2.3" sensor.

The x10/20 or G1 X would fit the bill, except they don't have the zoom range she wants. The G15 was looking good, but this seems like it would be even better.

8. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'm not really following the news but...aside from the eye-level EVF, how is this different from the LX series?

9. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    Tennessee
    Well for one, the lens is a whole lot slower.

10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'd be interested to see how quickly that maximum aperture drops from f2 as you use the zoom. The EVF specs seem ok to me for a camera of this size and pricepoint. I had a Fujifilm S6000fd with a 115K dot EVF and while it certainly was far from what I'd call good - it was perfectly usable for composition and was a lifesaver in bright light. Still, I'd probably go for an LX-7 if I was interested in this type of camera.

11. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Is that large serrated ring around the lens a control like it is on the Olympus ZX-2? Sure looks like it is not just decorative...
    Rudy

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Agreed. Given that I have an LX7 - and the optional EVF that also works on my GX1 - there's little reason for me to have interest in this new camera. But I can see it appealing to a lot of people moving up from point-and-shoots.

Also, while the aperture at 200mm doesn't look impressive, I wonder what it is at 100mm. If it's substantially faster than the RX100 at this point , it might be okay. A slower aperture past that point isn't critical, since one is likely to be using the camera outdoors.

And, finally, why on earth didn't Panasonic put the EVF from the FZ200 in this camera? I'm sure the low-res unit in this camera will be usable for simple framing, but taking it to the next level would have been so easy with an off-the-shelf part.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The good thing is now we know Panasonic can at least do a small RF style designed camera. This bodes well for an RF designed GX2. Here's hoping it happens!

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's still a point and shoot, and hardly the first with an EVF. One of the most compact, sure, but it's more a a side-step than a move upwards..

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Something is almost always better than nothing, but the LF1's EVF makes sense only if you primarily shoot with the LCD. For a low-end camera like the GF6, that makes sense. But for the higher-end GX2, I'd really hope they include a good EVF. I know eye-level viewfinders are slowly losing popularity, but I still think serious mirrorless users rely on them a great deal.

16. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    the viewfinder makes it cost more than double an LX7? this is more like a canon s90 (or whatever # they're on now) with an EVF and the canons don't even cost this much

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, but Canon lenses don't have that L-word (no, not "Lumix", the other one) on the front. :rolleyes:

18. thchen

thchen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2012
    all show, no go. pooh to you Panny.

19. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    they don't, but LX7 has the L word and a much better S word also (summilux vs summicron)

i guess LF1 is for the zoom crowd?

20. Same feelings. Have been waiting for a GF-1 with updated sensor and high resolution built in EVF. Hope that the GX-2 is that body and full of manual controls vs. mostly touchscreen.