1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Panasonic Leica 25mm Problem

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by AlexH, Jun 20, 2014.

1. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Hey guys, I have a quick question. I just bought a new PL25, and it rattles. I'm not talking about the rattlesnake issue. I've heard that, I know what it sounds like. But the lens sounds like something is rattling around internally when powered on or off (even when detached from the body). It's not too loud, I have to generally hold it up to my ear to hear it. But none of my other lenses make similar noises. The AF works fine, seems accurate and speedy, the lens produces nice images, but if this isn't normal I'm concerned about its reliability down the road.

Is this a common noise for this lens? Any other PL25 owners out there have this? Please chime in either way with your input.

2. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I don't think so. I get some rattlesnake but otherwise no rattling. I'd probably exchange it for a replacement. Not an inexpensive lens. It's a very nice lens, but I think if it's rattling you should exchange it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I've heard slight, very slight nicking when shaking a couple of PL25 lenses... never real rattling. You might want to swap it for another. Something could be slightly out of spec inside just waiting to interfere.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Hmm, you know what guys, I did some more poking around with my other glass. My Panasonic 14mm and Olympus 45mm do the same thing to varying degrees. Maybe I just never noticed it before and overreacted...

5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Is this something you have to shake the lens around to hear? If so, its almost certain that you're overreacting. Pretty much every lens I've ever owned will sound a little odd when I shake it.

On the other hand, if its making some loud, strange noise under normal use, its probably defective.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    My lens makes rattling noise when powering or shutting. It is the aperture blades going from wide open to f2.8 (oly uses 2.8 during live view). When I shake the lens it does make some rattling noise too. I think it is the aperture blades moving a little.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I appreciate the feedback! I think I just overreacted a bit when I discovered this noise. Seems like it's normal.

I love the way this lens renders. So good...

8. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The PL 25 makes a slight whir when shooting - it is the aperture blade actuator. I only hear it when shooting with my GH3 or GX7 in silent mode. This sound is normal for this lens.