New Panasonic II lenses - are changes just cosmetic?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Holoholo55, Jan 4, 2017.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I definitely plan on it. I currently have two E-M1's, but will probably rent a G80 along with the 100-300 II so that I can compare the 100-300 II's performance with and without DFD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    Well, I've just pre-ordered the 100-300mm mk II from Wex Photographic. Delivery expected Feb/March. Can't wait to get my hands on it :)

Simon.

• Like Like x 2
  3. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Yep - the updated 100-300 looks like a real winner. Very good news for the system, I'd say. Even for Olympus shooters who won't have access to dual-IS, the improvement in OIS will still be noticeable. But the weather-sealing is the crucial factor for a sports/wildlife lens, IMO. Of course, we don't know yet how good the weather sealing is going to be... ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes that 100-300 sure piqued my interest.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    I hv 100-300 with r-roesch.de tripod sleeve , I hope the Mark II version is in every way the same dimensionally so the tripod sleeve can fit the new lens . Power OIS wud be the reason I will buy this lens which admittedly only get seldom use .

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    I have an Oly. 75-300 II. Nice lens. I mostly use it with a Pan. GX85, which has more accurate AF than my Olympus cameras. In light of that, the dual IS and improved AF of the 100-300 II sure look interesting! Still, it'll take a lot to convince me that I can actually get better photos with the new lens (especially when fast shutter or small aperture is needed). I'm looking forward to reviews and comparisons.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Well, if faster shutter speed is what matters, then you've at least got f5.6 available on the 100-300, rather than f6.7 on the Olympus. Not huge, just half a stop difference. But not nothing, I guess?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Closing the gap to F4 will set you back roughly 2000€/$. You be the judge of whether that's worth it.

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    This is excellent! Just like the Oly 14-150 II, they went back to an existing affordable lens (45-200 and 100-300), and moved it slightly up-market by adding weathersealing! I've been a bit disappointed in the scarcity of affordable weathersealed lenses for m4/3, so for me, this is an excellent move. Had the 45-200 or 100-300 been weathersealed a few months ago when I was in the market for a telephoto, I would have likely bought one of them. Too late for me, but I'm happy to see the system evolve in a way that adds value and attraction to the affordable segment of the market! :)

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    That could make a bit of a difference for keeping ISO lower; but I'm wondering, more broadly speaking, which lens would let me take better images. My point was that IS won't be such a factor when shutter speed needs to be set high. More importantly, perhaps, many comparisons (especially DxOMark and ePhotozine) show the 75-300 II to be sharper than the 100-300 I, even when the latter is stopped down. True, sample variation and test conditions play important roles. However, given that the 75-300 II is demonstrably superior to its predecessor, I am hoping that the 100-300 II is also optically superior to its predecessor. As I said, it'll take a lot to sway me to replace the lens I already have - but I'm very open to the possibility. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  11. jbravo14

jbravo14 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2013
    I had the same experience even with my Olympus lenses, the gx85 vs em1 and em5 (panny focuses much faster)

12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'll definitely buy the new 100-300mm. I've always liked the IQ but the missing weathersealing and crappy autofocus has made me lust for 100-400mm. No more though. :)

EDIT: Oh, I hope they've fixed the unsable focus ring as well. The ring on my lens is so stiff it can't be used for anything - especially at the longer end. Totally unsable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica

Interesting interview. Turns out the main difference for the existing F2.8 zooms is the better weather sealing and cosmetics of the newer lenses. The older lenses will be getting a firmware update to support DualIS 2 anyways so u don't have to buy the new ones just for that. Hopefully this will still drive down the price of the old F2.8's.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    @CyVan@CyVan Is there a link to the interview? I'm not seeing what you posted in this message. Thanks.

15. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    It's mentioned in the video towards the end when the interviewer asks whether you should really update. A surprisingly honest answer from the Panasonic rep.

Interesting though, that the new lenses have a built in Gyro Sensor to help with IS. Do the old ones have one too? Because you can't firmware update that.

16. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica

17. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Well, from what I've read, all Panasonic in-lens stabilization employs gyro sensors. It seems to me (from this interview) that any lens that is getting a firmware upgrade for dual IS 2 already has the needed hardware. The new lens updates are mainly for better iris control, weather sealing, and cosmetic stuff. (Lens coatings, too, perhaps?) Except when the original lens won't support Dual IS / Dual IS 2: in that case, the upgrade is more substantial.

The interview also showed that the GH5 and G85 have newer gyro sensors, which is why only these camera bodies support Dual IS 2.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  18. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    That's a breath of fresh air! As a non video / sub zero weather shooter, I won't need to upgrade. Good on Panasonic!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The video said that the existing lenses are NOT freeze-proof, however the new ones are.

I'm not certain what changes were made to the weather sealing in order to make them freeze-proof, but if you regularly shoot in sub-zero conditions then you may want to look at upgrading.

20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Wider temperature range electronic components, adhesives, lubricants, materials, etc.

Commercial is rated 0 to 70 °C, industrial is -40 to 85 °C.

• Informative Informative x 2